Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are deadlifts the best quad work when little hip flexion is desired page 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Deadlifts are pretty quad dominant in the beginning of the lift so you will be able to maintain some strength by it. Barbell hack-lift or sumo-deadlift may work even better for the quads...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Adam Favro - Chiropractor in Saratoga Springs, NY

Seriously, call someone like this. I'm going to bet it costs less than $100 to see the guy for your initial visit and you can get started with fixing your hip. I have bad hips at times. I have a bad back at times. I have had back pain so bad that NSAIDS and shit like tramadol etc. could not ease it. I have laid on the floor at work in tears. I have pumped ibuprofin in my system on long runs to kill the hip pain.

It will get worse if you ignore and it will cause worse problems and deadlifting won't be an option. Our bodies are a system and you can't train around a problem for long. You probably do not need a $2500 MRI. You probably don't need surgery. You probably need someone to go in and massage the hell out of your hip flexors and break up the lesions, get everything back in alignment and then get on a stretching and strength program to manage the issue.

I know that chiro is not a magic bullet but sometimes these guys just know their way around muscles and bones better than internet strangers or doctors. They don't charge a heck of a lot of money either.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I think a few of you are probably missing the boat on how easy or hard it is to get an MRI or anything more indepth than 800 mg Motrin at military medical. I've had a few injuries that probably could have used an MRI but I had to basically blow my knee up on the slopes to get one done, and that's only because the swelling and bruising was so severe, they pretty much HAD to schedule me one. Also, depending on OP's pay grade, a hundred bucks might still be pretty steep for a chiro visit. I know it would be steep for me, anyway.

I would definitely try the foam roller, and some mobility stuff. There is a ton on mobilitywod that might be able to help you. Maybe you can experiment and see if it is a mobility issue or something like that until they through you through the rounds of medical, PT, medical, more PT, exploratory surgery, or wait let's get an MRI first hula hoops.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

That sucks that you have such shitty options.
    It sounds frustrating as hell.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I've worked with VA referred patients. It sucks for the patient cause they gotta jump through flaming hoops to get the referral THEN it sucks for the provider cause the pay is shit and the paperwork is absurd. But its worth it to help out with people we really should be taking better care of. Damn is our system f'd up though. Your definitely better off just paying cash if you can swing it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-23-2013 at 04:05 PM.

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm confused. I thought you didn't want to extend your hips. Wouldn't that make sitting less extension than deadlifting? And you said you wanted to work on your quads. Wouldn't riding a bicycle work your quads? Ride your bike up steep hills for more intensity if just pedaling around seems like not enough. It kinda sounds like you don't really want any change though from the sounds of it, not that my advice was the best or anything. You've kind of rejected all of it from everyone.
    I didn't mean to sound rude or dismissive. But my nature is to be direct and skeptical, which combined will appear rude. I would think we are all skeptics to some degree, or we wouldn't be primal. As someone who doesn't own a bike, I couldn't justify the expense on the chance that biking translates well to squat strength. And I perceive biking to be more endurance based, unless I'm on a hill steeper than anything near me. In regards to the deadlifts: It's a mystery to me why they don't hurt, but that's how it is.

I'm getting a lot of hip mobility suggestions though. Perhaps I was too hasty to say I'm giving it up. The problem with hip mobility work is there are a hundred gazillion exercises to choose from and no article on the matter seems interested in presenting a minimalist approach. And of course, every article says it's best to do this stuff as often as possible throughout the day. Ok, but what if we can only set aside a dedicated block of time for it (x sets for x reps). It's actually similar to foam rolling (suggested done as necessary). Well, I've seen lots of people in the gym who squat much more than me and don't even know what functional fitness means. All they want is hypertrophy. They somehow are pain free, but I bet they could still benefit from hip mobility and foam rolling. It's actually really frustrating being someone who cares about the bigger picture and yet has managed to get injured twice in the mere 10 months I've been lifting.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    ^ This is why you should pay the $85 bucks or whatever and go visit a good chiropracter. They'll filter all the bullshit out there to what is useful for YOU.

I was surprised when I went to one how much he knew and how he understood way better than any regular doctor. My regular doctor would have told me to stop doing so much extreme stuff and go take some pills.

I made my appointment with the chiro myself and paid cash. No insurance company. He told me stuff about my body I never would have figured out on my own. Pointed out the problems and they were in muscles I didn't expect them to be in from the pain I had. He gave me some stretches to do. Told me what I had done wrong to hurt myself. Said I really didn't need much to get better, just do some stretches and take a few weeks to heal. I only saw him twice and I think the 2nd visit was $65. This is in expensive Santa Barbara where everything costs more.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    This is From reading strength training anatomy by fredric delavier, worth getting to get a good understanding of what muscles are been worked. Not sure how these will affect your hip problems, only you can decided if they will aggravate your condition

Doing dead lifts with a trap bar or drum bells will load the quads more than a straight bar will.

If you still want to squat then there are a few options to protect the lumber spin and weak areas and target the quads
    Adding rubber bands to your squats will load the top portion up, allowing you go lighter at the lower part of the squat and loading the top part where your are stronger. Try squats with a heel lift this will put more emphasis on quads ( keep weights lighter with heel lifts). Could also try box squats to limit how deep you go in the squat, maybe start high with light weight see how the hips respond and build from there

Sissy squats may be an option as an isolation exercise for the quads, also leg lifts will work those high quad/hip flexor muscle which may or may not be a good thing for your condition. Use of rubber bands could replicate leg extensions as well.

As a side note if its a muscular problem a few sessions with a good dry needling PT will do wonders for releasing hip flexor problems, I did this last year to help with sciatica which was prioformas/ hip related

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ^ This is why you should pay the $85 bucks or whatever and go visit a good chiropracter. They'll filter all the bullshit out there to what is useful for YOU.

I was surprised when I went to one how much he knew and how he understood way better than any regular doctor. My regular doctor would have told me to stop doing so much extreme stuff and go take some pills.

I made my appointment with the chiro myself and paid cash. No insurance company. He told me stuff about my body I never would have figured out on my own. Pointed out the problems and they were in muscles I didn't expect them to be in from the pain I had. He gave me some stretches to do. Told me what I had done wrong to hurt myself. Said I really didn't need much to get better, just do some stretches and take a few weeks to heal. I only saw him twice and I think the 2nd visit was $65. This is in expensive Santa Barbara where everything costs more.
    My guy charges me even than that, but it's probably out of guilt because most of my visits are a result of his son cranking the hell out of my neck at Jiu Jitsu.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, my guy charged $150 for the first visit with xrays then $65 a visit ongoing, cash. And I know my friend who is a chiro does police and military discounts.

Even if I had access to free MRI's and surgeries, I'd go see my guy first in the case of pain. For reference, a good friend with back pain went to her MD and 3 surgeries and multiple injections is still in pain enough that it limits her mobility, plus she lives on pain pills.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast