Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex Hormone Labs. Help please. :) page

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member

Sex Hormone Labs. Help please. :)

Primal Fuel
    I got my labs back today. I'll see my doctor next week to go over them. Last week when she tested me she said there is a good chance I have PCOS. I haven't had a cycle in over 2 years.

What do these labs mean?

Lutenizing hormone- 0.9
    LH interpretation:
    Female: 2.6-12.1 follicular
    27.3-96.9 mid cycle
    0.8-15.5 luteal
    13.1-86.5 post menopause

Follicle stimulat hormone 3.7
    FSH interpretation:
    Female 1.9-11.6 follicular
    5.1-23.4 mid-cycle
    1.4-9.6 luteal
    21.5-131.0 post menopause

Estradiol 39
    Estradiol interpretation:
    Female: 27-161 follicular phase
    187-382 pre-ovulatory peak
    33-201 luteal phase
    5-38 post menopause

Testosterone, total 53
    Testosterone interpretation:
    Females with normal menstrual cycles:6-77 ng/dl

Progesterone 0.9
    progesterone interpretation:
    female 0.1-1.7 follicular
    0.4-5.9 peri-ovulatory
    6.0-24.0 mid-luteal
    1.0-22.4 luteal

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Regardless of whether I have PCOS or not, I need to work on getting my progesterone up.

Thanks Derp!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am a physician, so I will do the best I can.....disclaimer I have to do: do not confuse what I am about to say as diagnostic or anything other than an educated answer. To determine more would require much more information than I have, as well as actual examination.

Your pattern is not indicative of classic PCOS. In that disease, one of the characteristic labs is to see the LH value to be quite HIGH, as well as the testosterone. The reason for this is that the anterior pituitary that actually produces these hormones is over-compensating for what is in effect a broken negative feedback mechanism....it never receives it's "off signal".

Your very low LH level is more indicative of a more general hypopituitary issue. Going beyond that is not really advisable due to my lack of knowledge in this particular specialty (I am in eyes, not hormones), and lack of more testing.

That said, I would be very surprised if it was PCOS.

Thank you Lazarus!

So when you say pituitary, does that mean TSH?

My TSH is suppressed because I'm on T3 containing thyroid hormone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I am a physician, so I will do the best I can.....disclaimer I have to do: do not confuse what I am about to say as diagnostic or anything other than an educated answer. To determine more would require much more information than I have, as well as actual examination.

Your pattern is not indicative of classic PCOS. In that disease, one of the characteristic labs is to see the LH value to be quite HIGH, as well as the testosterone. The reason for this is that the anterior pituitary that actually produces these hormones is over-compensating for what is in effect a broken negative feedback mechanism....it never receives it's "off signal".

Your very low LH level is more indicative of a more general hypopituitary issue. Going beyond that is not really advisable due to my lack of knowledge in this particular specialty (I am in eyes, not hormones), and lack of more testing.

That said, I would be very surprised if it was PCOS.

Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @Brooke

I am assuming you mean that you are on Synthroid or one of its derivations....

How long have you been on this, and have you experienced any symptoms of HYPERthyroidism? In rare cases, the dosage of Synthroid can be so far off that they cause hormonal imbalance in the body. This is highly unusual, but it does create another possible cause of your amenorrhea. The basics of what I said still stand, and it would take someone with more knowledge in the area than me to know what it is, instead of just what it isn't....

Synthroid is T4...

And she's not hyperthyroid, I don't even know what advice you're trying to give.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    @Brooke

I am assuming you mean that you are on Synthroid or one of its derivations....

How long have you been on this, and have you experienced any symptoms of HYPERthyroidism? In rare cases, the dosage of Synthroid can be so far off that they cause hormonal imbalance in the body. This is highly unusual, but it does create another possible cause of your amenorrhea. The basics of what I said still stand, and it would take someone with more knowledge in the area than me to know what it is, instead of just what it isn't....
    No Synthroid for me. It's didn't do me any good. My TSH needs to be suppressed so that I don't get inflammation in my thyroid. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Synthroid is T4...

And she's not hyperthyroid, I don't even know what advice you're trying to give.
    Derp, I just posted some of my other labs in my journal. I'm also taking temps because I'm going to start the straight T3 soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast