Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will going primal help me feel better? (Switching from vegan) page

Alexis47 is offline Member

Unhappy Will going primal help me feel better? (Switching from vegan)

Shop Now
    I'd like some opinions on this. I'm sixteen, 5'3, female, 115 pounds, and around 22% body fat. For pretty much my entire life I have felt like crap. I feel sluggish, tired, weak, and lethargic. Often, I also feel disoriented and unable to concentrate because of this. Headaches are common, especially in bright areas. The best I can describe it is perpetually feeling like I haven't slept for a day and just spent a week in the hospital. The only times I don't feel like this are in the morning and during workouts that give me adrenaline rushes. I also can't eat large meals without getting stomachaches, and I'm bloated a lot. I'm currently vegan, and I have been for two years. Before that, I was an omnivore for two years, but I was also anorexic at this time, so I also felt wretched then. (Switching to being vegan somehow helped me work my way out of that.) I was vegetarian for six years before that as well, but I don't remember that time well. (None of this for moral reasons--I just thought it was healthier.)

I get eight to nine hours of sleep every day, take three multivitamins a day with pretty much everything, and eat somewhere around 70 grams of protein per day. I also drink plenty of water. I hardly eat any grains or sugar, and I haven't touched artificial sweeteners for at least a year. Right now, my diet is pretty much vegetables, fruit, seeds, tempeh, olive oil, soy milk, and protein powder. I do yoga every other day (used to do more), about 20 push-ups every few days, and I've recently started sprint training outside in my new vibrams. I have no physical health conditions, and no mental besides mild panic disorder and some social anxiety, both of which get worse when I feel worse. According to many people, I should feel absolutely fantastic on most days.

But I don't, I feel horrible. My father says I'm overreacting, that everyone feels this tired, but I really doubt that. If humans feel like how I do, how the heck did we survive this long? I don't want to be in college working toward a phD and have to re-read the same page over and over again because I can't concentrate on the information. I don't want to feel like falling over and not getting up. Granted, I'd also like to look better, but I really wouldn't care if I looked the same or even worse if I just felt healthy.

A few days ago, I was pretty sold on going Primal, but after I told my father, he started to make me doubt this (kind of weird, since he had great results on a diet similar to this when he was in his thirties). He thinks I'm rushing into it and that nothing's wrong with me, and being vegan is the healthiest I can be. Will going Primal really help me feel healthy? I really want something to work. I don't remember the last time I felt at my 100% for more than an hour. Some days I can honestly say I don't even feel human.

PrimalMumUK is offline Junior Member
    Yes! I don't know about all the issues but the 'brain fog' has gone for me. I've also suffered from panic attacks for years and have only had one in 6 months of paleo, which is amazing for me. I wish I knew about this when I was 16. All the best.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Yup. It will.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say that it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

I was vegan for several years, and ended up with my cholesterol too low -- one of the symptoms was extreme brain fog (or really, not being able to remember things, and nto being able to process things like reading a clock).

went back to eggs and meat, and everything cleared up.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis47 View Post
    I also drink plenty of water. I hardly eat any grains or sugar, and I haven't touched artificial sweeteners for at least a year. Right now, my diet is pretty much vegetables, fruit, seeds, tempeh, olive oil, soy milk, and protein powder.
    1) Yes it will. That 'diet' is terrible.
    2) Tell your Dad what's going to happen and do it. He is not allowed to run your life and ruin your health. I strongly suggest doing your own research and not adhering to anything you feel is dogmatic. Also, Don't let anyone tell you that low carb is the best thing for you, it 'can be' as culty as veganism. Make your own decision, experiment on yourself to see how you feel. That may be LC, may not be.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Yup. It will.
    +1

Just do it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think it's very common to lack nutrients from a vegan diet. Therefore, it is likely that you'll feel a lot better eating whole, natural, unprocessed foods---and more importantly, rich sources of protein and fat. I was a vegetarian who was even smaller than you, eating crappy food when I was younger. I feel much better now than I did then.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    COME BACK TO THE MEAT SIDE!! You will feel WORLDS WORLDS better! I cannot wait until you feel better

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    Try it for a week and tell us how you go. I will bet my favourite dog on you feeling better

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I have to say that while I totally disagree that veganism is healthy, I have to commend anyone who can stick to it for any length of time. When I first found out about pink slime, I went out and bought tofu, dried beans (still have those for the zombie apocalypse), and brown rice. I've never had a dietary change affect me so dramatically. Within four days, I was a sleepy, farty, lethargic drag.

As a note, I've done both calorie restriction and VLC before primal and neither of those ever made me feel as bad as a few days of vegan eating.

So from my limited experience, yep, take two steaks and call us in the morning!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast