Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will going primal help me feel better? (Switching from vegan) page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You need healthy fat and quality protein. Your life will turn around. I used to describe being a woman as living your life swimming through molasses. I thought that was how every woman felt like because hat's what it felt like to me at your age and through my 20s and 30s. I'm in my 40s now and this primal thing has completely turned all that around for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Alexis47 is offline Member
    I showed my father this site and he started reading it. I wasn't sure what he would think but suddenly he's bought three of the books and intends to try this himself, so we got some good organic milk, butter, and eggs. We won't be going to a grocery store that's worth anything until Friday, though. (Funny how Kroger was my go-to place for fancy vegan foods, and it's now my best regular option for Primal foods.) I cooked some stuff in butter and I haven't had ill effects, so it looks like this transition will be fairly smooth. Can't eat meats yet, though, since what we have is crappy processed stuff with sugar in it.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis47 View Post
    Right now, my diet is pretty much vegetables, fruit, seeds, tempeh, olive oil, soy milk, and protein powder.

Lots of ex vegans here. Good luck.

exotec is offline Junior Member
    Absolutely, yes. We were made to eat meat. I won't go so far as to say only meat... it can get carried too far, like anything. But you're still growing. You need meat protein. Even adults still need meat protein. You simply don't get the proper mix when you cut out a whole group like that. But I'm preaching to the choir: you already know that by how you're feeling!

I will put in my 2¢ on cutting out "groups," though. I follow a Primal and restricted-carb dietary plan (on the prescription of our endocrinologist)... and that has been the best thing I've ever done. Since you're presumably (?) already fairly low-carb, I would stick with that, and just add in the healthy meats and fats your body seems to be craving.

Your dad is concerned in a healthy way. The best thing you could do for him and for yourself is to do some research (can't hurt to get in that habit, considering your educational aspirations!) and present some credible information to him. Who knows... he might not only modify his advice to you, but may also choose to go along with you to a healthier lifestyle. If nothing else, it will show him that you're not just jumping on a bandwagon, you're weighing the honest benefits before you adopt a new diet.

I hope you feel better soon! And I'm confident you will.
    The problem with people these days is they've forgotten we're really just animals.

We did not create the web of life; we are but a strand in it.
    ~ Chief Seattle

We do not have souls. We ARE souls. We have bodies.
    ~ C. S. Lewis

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I think you are saying you still have the brain fog after cutting wheat? If this is true, I would suggest more exercise. It really evens out your blood sugar, which may not be bouncing around enough to affect your overall health but certainly can bounce enough to affect your brain function.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Nick is offline Junior Member
    I always had problems sleeping as a teen. I'd be up all night, then exhausted during the day. I'd take a nap, which would then assure that I didn't get to bed on time, etc. Vicious cycle.

I also didn't think about my diet much, and didn't exercise. I also kind of surrounded myself with negative people who were downers.

I have changed all these things. My diet is much healthier, I exercise more, and the people I surround myself with are way better and more positive.

Everything plays into it, but even without the good people, getting in regular exercise and eating right is a huge plus and DEFINITELY helps you sleep right. Exercise makes you tired, of course, so you fall asleep better.

Every once in a while, if you get off track, try a sleeping pill to just make sure your sleep cycle isn't completely screwed by one random day.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    While trying primal, do your best to be 100% grain free for the first 2 weeks. It is possible that in addition to lacking nutrients from a vegan diet, you also have a wheat/grain intolerance and even small amounts may impact your well-being. For example, I am intolerance to corn and feel terrible if I eat even a small amount.

I felt awful every single day until I found primal eating. It really helped turn things around for me and I was much older than you. Give it a solid try and see what happens
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try it for a month or two.

You feel horrible now - could it get worse? (I doubt it).

If it doesn't work, try something else, or go back to what you know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12