Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me. This is regarding my father who recently had a heart attack. page

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member

Please help me. This is regarding my father who recently had a heart attack.

Shop Now
    My father had a heart attack in december..he is ok and still kicking however Ive become in charge of the way he eats for the most part. Now most doctors are telling me that he should have low fat versions of types of foods (low fat butter/cheese/milk etc) and stay away from saturated fatty meats (dark meat, non-lean red meat, bacon etc) but he can have "good fats" (avocados/olive oil/almonds) however, me being a primal eater I feel really torn on how I should have him eat...
    To be completely honest - I do primal eating for weight loss and its by far the easiest diet for me EVER but I really don't completely know much about the health aspect of it all (I know, horrible.)...but now this is my dads LIFE at stake which is a whole other ball game.
    Basically my question - do you believe that a man in his 60s who has already had a heart attack should be eating 3 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday instead of oatmeal? I want to say yes because I do it and I feel amazing but at the same time I'm just not 100% sure...am I letting conventional crap i've always been taught get in the way? I'm just terrified for my fathers life and don't have a clue what to have him eat. any opinions/information would be so appreciated.

Thank you
    *A

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about bacon and eggs, omega 6 fatty acids are the dangerous ones and bacon and eggs are loaded with them. A big mistake that many make is eating more fat but eating the wrong kinds of fat. A few omega 3 enriched eggs, some fish, a good hefty dose of fish oil with some coconut oil, some vegetables, maybe some real pork or steak would be better. It depends on the bacon quality though. Oatmeal? Pah.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/5/1175

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2009.27725v1
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Whopper is offline Junior Member

Talking

Check out this post

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...-survival.html

there are a few other posts on there about heart attack, cholesterol and Hba1c.
    "In the immortal words of Oliver Wendel Holmes, a mind stretched to the limits of a new idea can never return to its original form"

Ooh yeah that's a good one. In fact just read Peter's entire blog. That should do it.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    My father had a heart attack in december..he is ok and still kicking however Ive become in charge of the way he eats for the most part. Now most doctors are telling me that he should have low fat versions of types of foods (low fat butter/cheese/milk etc) and stay away from saturated fatty meats (dark meat, non-lean red meat, bacon etc) but he can have "good fats" (avocados/olive oil/almonds) however, me being a primal eater I feel really torn on how I should have him eat...
    To be completely honest - I do primal eating for weight loss and its by far the easiest diet for me EVER but I really don't completely know much about the health aspect of it all (I know, horrible.)...but now this is my dads LIFE at stake which is a whole other ball game.
    Basically my question - do you believe that a man in his 60s who has already had a heart attack should be eating 3 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday instead of oatmeal? I want to say yes because I do it and I feel amazing but at the same time I'm just not 100% sure...am I letting conventional crap i've always been taught get in the way? I'm just terrified for my fathers life and don't have a clue what to have him eat. any opinions/information would be so appreciated.

Thank you
    *A
    I am a heart attack survivor (almost age 49) and I am eating primal. One thig I *had* to do (there was no option here as far as I was concerned) was lower the sodium/salt in my diet to zero. I feel much better eating this way. I do not currently eat any pork products but when I did eat it I had to soak my bacon overnight to leech the salt out of it......even the lower sodium varieties had to be soaked. I have learned to use herbs and spices for flavour instead of salt (he can still have pepper). I have stopped using commercially made salad dressings/mayonaise because of sodium and soy oil they put in it and now make my own condiments as I need them. So much better and tastier.

I eat 4 eggs every morning, drink lots of water or tea and eat a lot of fish, seafood, chicken and beef, avocadoes, olive oil, a few nuts now and then and greens....and dark chocolate once a month or less. If I cheat, I cheat with fruit. I do not trim the fat off anything and will sometimes consume the drippings from the pans. I do not eat dairy (no butter) but that is simply because dairy stuffs up my sinuses and makes my acne flare up(I have PCOS). This weekend I am going to get some coconut oil to try because I keep hearing good things about it. I feel *so good* it is amazing but if I eat the way my doctor wanted me too then I would feel sick all over again. Grains (like oatmeal) just nake me feel bloated and gross and when I feel like that I experience lethargy, fatigue and chest pain. When I eat primally I feel great and no pain at all and I have tons of energy. The only meds I currently take is one 500mg aspirin daily.
    I also take an omega 3 supplement, and a calcium/magnesium/vitamin D supplement.

I hope this helps.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    In fact just read Peter's entire blog. That should do it.
    +1
    The Heart Scan and Stephan's Blog are also great sources of info. Best of lucks.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    thanks to all who replied..i really appreciate it! *off to read these blogs*

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Here's another good blog, not to overwhelm you!
    http://coolinginflammation.blogspot....mmatory%20diet
    Here's what he says about sat fat: Saturated fats appear to be problematical primarily if chronic inflammation is established. Saturated fats are healthy in the absence of inflammation.

The first step would be to get inflammation under control in his body before adding back in fatty meats and such. If you check out Nutrition Data it gives the inflammation rating of every food. Grains and sugars are definately bad. Dairy is pretty inflammatory regardless of whether it's low fat or not so I would use the full fat stuff in moderation if at all. Olive oil, fish, and spinach and other leafy greens are very anti-inflammatory as well as a lot of other veggies. Turmeric is a good spice to use too. I definately second the low salt advice. Did the docs advise him to take fish oil supplements? That could be very helpful as well. I hope you can get him feeling as good as you in no time, good luck!

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    There are some studies that show that saturated fats aren't good in the case of advanced ischemic heart disease. (probably the inflammation link, as listed above). Keep in mind that most animal fats (like steak) have loads of heart healthy oleic acid (like olive oil) and not that much saturated fat, percentage wise. He might want to avoid the pure sat fats though during early recovery (though vit K2 is hugely important for cardiovascular health and is only found in high sat fat animal products like marrow or butter - you can supplement with a bit of butter oil (google price factor x butter oil). Also make sure his vitamin d is topped off.

I wouldn't bash on palmitic acid from meat too hard. For one it's hard to get lots of monounsaturated fat alone without lots of linoleic acid, and carbs convert to palmitic acid and circulate for a bit so a big ol' slab of beef is amongst the best things to eat. People have to eat something and that something should ideally have some nutrients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast