Thread: Help with gout and type 2 diabeties page

Doggonne2000 is offline Junior Member

Help with gout and type 2 diabeties

Shop Now
    Hello. My name is Becky and I am 50 years old. About a year and a half ago my doctor turned me onto eating paleo because I wanted to feel better in my own skin. To date I have lost 55 pounds and my cholesterol has dropped by 50%. I feel great and now am out to change the world. My most recent converts are my aunt and uncle who are in their seventies and have many health issues including gout and type 2 diabeties. I've been working with them for about two months and they are truely embrasing the paleo/primal principles and for the most part are doing very well. Does anyone have recommendations on how I could help them be more paleo/primal? They are afraid of getting the fructose out of the house because sometimes their blood sugars drop suddenly and they need to get immediate sugars. Also, some of the sea food and meat promotes gout attacks because of the high purine content. I've done some research and know fructose also contributes to gout. If anyone has experience with this I would really appreciate input. Thanks. B

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Are they eating any starchy vegetables? Keeping their carbs above a certain level (you'd need to experiment to figure that out) may help with any blood sugar crashes. I would also look into what their breakfasts are like and when exactly (and after what kind of meal) the blood sugar crash occurs. There may be certain foods they are eating that should be avoided. High-fruit breakfasts are not a problem as long as they're coupled with some fat & protein, but generally, it's best to avoid a lot of sugar in the morning if you have blood sugar issues.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Fructose isn't the fastest sugar for a hypoglycemic episode, glucose(dextrose) is. They should have glucose tablets for emergencies or, since a lot of people would rather not carry around something so "medical," USA Smarties are the same difference... You can find the blood sugar effect of Smarties at How to Treat Mild Hypos
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Thanks for your suggestions! I know they are eating more potatoes and sweet potatoes than I'm happy about. They've talked about scrambled eggs with lots of veggies and are now getting tired of the same old, same old. They "bulk up" breakfast with potatoes. My goal is to have them limit these to once a week. They also won't let go of rice and I think that's working against them, so my hope again is to limit to once a week. I'll do more research into glucose to see if there are changes we can make. It seems they have more episodes of extremely low blood sugars in the middle of the night that wakes them up. They definitely crave natural fruits and I've encouraged them to eat them only with a bit of protein like an egg or leftover turkey breast and this seems to have helped. I'll keep researching but if you think of other resources please let me know.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    If you are really into micromanaging these people's lives (joke, but only like 70%) Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is THEE book to read.

Realize that most of the damage from high blood sugar takes 10+ years to materialize, so tight blood sugar control in the elderly is not recommended. Those hypos are more likely to kill them at this point (contributing to confusion and falls) than high blood sugar is.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

THANK YOU, LOAFING CACTUS!!! Yesterday I went to the library and got Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and can hardly put it down. Only 5 chapters in and I'm getting quite the low-down. Here I thought I was going to be educated to help my aunt and uncle but it turns out I have some of the early markers myself. Last summer my natural path doc had a complete CBC done so I have some of the results Dr. Bernstein talks about. Some of those results are in doctor-ese but some I understand. Now that my lifestyle has been paleo for a year and a half it would be interesting to see how my numbers have changed since then. Thanks for the suggestion!