Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the real weight loss benefits of going primal? page 7

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    ummmmmmm......................... I thought cals were cals?
    Quote Originally Posted by stina1115 View Post
    could be that by eating primal/low-carb, your body was able to stabilize your hormones, which increased your basal metabolic rate. This could account for the calorie deficit, as well as the appetite/craving suppression usually accompanied by low-carb/primal eating/hormone balance. I believe that this is what happened for me.

I agree though, for me it was all about the hormones. Peter attia explains this well - do calories matter? the eating academy | peter attia, m.d. The eating academy | peter attia, m.d.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    All these things matter. Please, don't insult my intelligence by some half-claim that calories weren't responsible for your weight loss. It is always CICO, and failure is due to the human factor 100% of the time.
    I used to be a big proponent of CICO.... and it still applies. BUT, damn, as a woman entering the late 30's to 40's it is damn hard to get that balance correct of CICO. Your metabolism really does change. And I think you get less burn from working out. Plus I think your body stalls more often and loss is less linear so even more difficult to track.

I mean, I track, not like you apparently, but the tracking has been consistent through good/bad and ongoing days.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i count calories and carbs as a lot of you know and its worked really well for me. i also count protein and fat. i also count steps!
    someone said earlier, choco i think, about primal cutting out most of the additives food is bombarded with and i think this is incredibly important, particularly for me.
    understanding appetite and hunger has been a massive step forward for me too. 800 calories is quite a low amount but there's no doubt i get more than adequate nutrition from this whereas my actual nutrition when eating grains was abysmal even though i ate 3x the calories
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post

I wish you would stop with the ad hominems and name-calling and argue with facts and useful information.
    i have no desire to get into a google-fu battle with anybody. it's pointless.

it's very tiresome being told by young men that i don't know how to weigh my food, eat reasonable portions only when hungry or increase my activity level and that's why i gained weight. at best it's patronizing and at worst it's misogynist.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    i have no desire to get into a google-fu battle with anybody. it's pointless.

it's very tiresome being told by young men that i don't know how to weigh my food, eat reasonable portions only when hungry or increase my activity level and that's why i gained weight. at best it's patronizing and at worst it's misogynist.
    Ok.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Eh, when I was counting just calories and continuing to consume carbs and sugar, I was losing a pound MAYBE every few months.

As of November, I started to consume about the same amount of calories with a lot less carbs and sugar (and mostly gave up wheat), and I've been losing an average of 1 pound per week ever since. Other than that, I haven't changed my routine much.

I won't say calories don't matter, because I don't want to open up that can of worms, but in my experience, carbs matter a hell of a lot more than calories.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a big proponent of CICO.... and it still applies. BUT, damn, as a woman entering the late 30's to 40's it is damn hard to get that balance correct of CICO. Your metabolism really does change. And I think you get less burn from working out. Plus I think your body stalls more often and loss is less linear so even more difficult to track.
    Word! If only appetite got clued in. That's btw is where I disagree with Chaco. I don't think we are eating out of habit. It's pretty much unthinkable to me to eat as much as I did when I was young, and I am down to 2 meals a day - or trying to. But it's hard because I am hungry. Why I am hungry, I don't know. And I am hungry at any macro ratio and cleanliness level I tried.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    ummmmmmm......................... i thought cals were cals?
    Yes, a calorie is ALWAYS a calorie, but a gram of protein can count different, depending on the source, so make sure to take that into your exact rigid scientific calculations! Well, a calorie budget cannot be exact science because your metabolism will change along the way, and for this reason you must adjust empirically depending on how you respond. Personally I use it to set up a diet, and then stick to portion control for adjustment. What always matters for weightloss is to stay in a calorie deficit - energy deficit - there cannot be any weightloss without it...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie14 View Post
    When you say metabolic syndrom are you talking about being very carb sensitive like craving carbs and becoming completely ravenous when blood sugar levels drop?
    I mean Metabolic Syndrome, capital letters, the diseased state of modern obesity.

Metabolic syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the Ken Korg that is targeted as the primary audience of The Primal Blueprint.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 07-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast