Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What are the real weight loss benefits of going primal? page 14

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, CICO is the mechanic behind energy fluctuations in our bodies and I agree that the individual dieter cannot calculate this exactly down to the minute details. But it is a useful practical tool to use for many dieters, that know how to use it, and it works in a controlled environment which is confirmed more than sufficient on both animals and humans. Then you have those self-reporting individuals that claim that they got fat on only eating 800 calories per day or those that claim that they can maintain their weight on water and sunshine only…
    Raises hand...

however i know i am an outlier
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I think I need to appropriate CICO and subvert its meaning before I go mad from seeing it yet again.

In this spirit, I propose that CICO now means a nice, satisfying morning dump.

I had a delightful CICO, and now I feel like I could run a marathon!
    was that during a standup scrum meeting

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Yeah pretty much. Although our "subconscious complying" doesn't quite sit right as the right explanation. I feel it's more like "as the subconscious goes on responding to stimuli (stressors) like it does for everything and has done for ever".

If your lucky enough to provide the stimuli that your subconscious thinks might require the dumping of excess energy reserves then it will do so.

Sent from my iPhone
    i must go kel no rheem

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    We have 8 cats. Each gets a different ration amount, measured each mealtime. The largest cat and the smallest cat get the same amount, which is less than 1 fluid ounce twice a day. Of the two that are hyperthyroid, one gets 1/3 of a cup twice a day and is plump, while the other gets half a cup twice a day and is thin, even though they are both on medication for their thyroid issues. The others get about 1/4 cup twice a day. They all get about the same exercise.

Feeding time is a challenge.

Katie14 is offline Junior Member
    Gaining or losing weight is all about energy balance. Consuming more energy than your body needs results in weight gain and doing the opposite results in weight loss. After reading all your posts I came to the conclusion that there are a few different reason why most people lose weight faster on low carbs diets:

1) People on low carb diets end up eating less, maybe without even realizing it. This is becasue once you stop eating carbs, you blood sugar isn't constantly rises and falling, causing hunger. (CI changes)

2) Low carb diets can fix hormonal problems thereby speeding up your metabolism and allowing weight loss to occur. (CO changes)

3) Low carb diets allow you to have more stable energy levels. Without your blood sugar constantly rising and falling throughout the day, some people on low carb diets are able to exercise morre, fidget more, cook more, shop more, play with your kids more, ect. It is nearly impossible to measure how much activity you are doing on a day to day bases. Sure you can measure how many calories you burned on a treadmill but how do you take into account all the others ways that you burn calories throughout the day? You may think that your level of activity stayed constant when trying out different diets but likely it has not. Finally being able to lose weight on a low carb diet, when you plateued on other diets, may be do to the fact that you move more on a low carb diet. You do this without even realizing it. (CO changes)

4) Maybe the processing (digestion, extracting) of protein and fats takes more energy than the processing of a typical carb filled diet. I honestly don't think this has much of an impact though. (CO changes)

The bottom line is, CICO is the only thing that matters with reguard to weight loss, maintenance, or weight gain.
    Last edited by Katie14; 07-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yep, and as macros (and food sensitivities) impact your ability to fill good on less, one needs to find the macro-food concept-match that optimizes hunger level and well-being.

Honestly, whatever works best for you will have a Diet Guru that will preach that it's the bestest based on some mumbo-jumbo science.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314