Thread: Smoothie Base Query page

maclrc is offline Senior Member

Smoothie Base Query

Hi All,

My new Magimix smoothie blender arrives today and I wanted to get some opinions on good substitute bases to use for a smoothie, given that I don't eat the following standard base ingredients:

Dairy
    Coconut (I only eat coconut oil)
    Avocado

I'm looking to find acceptable modifications to apply to paleo smoothie recipes, which often use coconut milk and sometimes yoghurt as a base.

I'll start off experimenting with using water, banana, nut butter, protein powder, frozen berries, vanilla, etc. but other ideas, especially for the modifications above, much appreciated

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I make all my smoothies with egg whites as a liquid, and either banana-berries-rhubarb combo as solids for sweet or tomato paste-greens-green veggies or canned tuna for savory. I also used clam juice for savory and I use spices a lot.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I've done a bit more research, would unsweetened nut milk and some nut butter (for thickness) be a good substitute for dairy/coconut?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    We frequently use frozen bananas. (Sweet, fruity smoothies). Our house likes bananas yellow without spots, and once they get spotted, which actually is ripe, nobody eats them so I peel and freeze them whole. Even straight from the freezer you can break the whole banana into chunks with your fingers, which the blender can process easily. Makes a creamy base.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    We frequently use frozen bananas. (Sweet, fruity smoothies). Our house likes bananas yellow without spots, and once they get spotted, which actually is ripe, nobody eats them so I peel and freeze them whole. Even straight from the freezer you can break the whole banana into chunks with your fingers, which the blender can process easily. Makes a creamy base.
    Yeah, I tried unsweetened Almond milk yesterday and just didn't like the taste. Will stick with banana and water me thinks.

Thanks