Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best carbs for weight loss? page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Best carbs for weight loss?

Primal Fuel
    I'm female, 5'6, 136lbs, just trying to lean out and drop those last 5 or so lbs......
    I lift a couple days a week, get som HIIT or sprints in twice a wee, maybe a longer walk or jog.

Is fruit too sugary? Should I be looking only toward starches? Or does it matter as long as total calories are low? I know this is a pretty nit-picky question, but I'm finding these last vanity lb's pretty tough to drop.

Any other advice?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    My opinion, as I don't think there is definitive research is that the type of carbohydrate you rely on is less important when eating low carb since your load is so low. Essentially with a load of only 0-100g/day I don't think it will make a big difference. If, however you were going to make carbs a large portion of your diet then I do think that choosing starches and glucose in general is far safer and healthier.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I tried it quite a few ways, and the only way I was able to drop the last few pounds was by following macro splits and huge calorie waves. At the height of 5'7" I was able to go to 113 lbs and almost lose fat from the thighs. The regimen recommended no fruit for 6 days a week, including the huge carb-up day (starches). One day of normal, macro-free eating was Okay to eat fruit. I managed ~ 800-1000 cals on 4 days that were low carb (4 days a week), ~ 3000 cals on the carb up day (from boiled white potato, basically no fat, 100 g pure prot) and 1 day of normal eating (trying to stick to 1500-1600 cals). Average cals were about 1300-1400 a day, but weight did drop unlike when I did even calories. Training regimen was brutal, at 2 indurance, 1 pump and 1 power workouts a week + 5 days of SS cardio. This regimen is described in Ultimate Diet 2.0.

I could not hold the weight loss due to sleep disruption, continuous hunger and mounting depression.

At the moment I am trying to go the Lean Gain way and eat fruit (as well as starches) on the high carb-low fat days when I lift. So far, I am just maintaining ~ 133-135 lbs, but I am forever hopeful for fat loss/muscle gain.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Hi, I tried it quite a few ways, and the only way I was able to drop the last few pounds was by following macro splits and huge calorie waves. At the height of 5'7" I was able to go to 113 lbs and almost lose fat from the thighs. The regimen recommended no fruit for 6 days a week, including the huge carb-up day (starches). One day of normal, macro-free eating was Okay to eat fruit. I managed ~ 800-1000 cals on 4 days that were low carb (4 days a week), ~ 3000 cals on the carb up day (from boiled white potato, basically no fat, 100 g pure prot) and 1 day of normal eating (trying to stick to 1500-1600 cals). Average cals were about 1300-1400 a day, but weight did drop unlike when I did even calories. Training regimen was brutal, at 2 indurance, 1 pump and 1 power workouts a week + 5 days of SS cardio. This regimen is described in Ultimate Diet 2.0.

I could not hold the weight loss due to sleep disruption, continuous hunger and mounting depression.

At the moment I am trying to go the Lean Gain way and eat fruit (as well as starches) on the high carb-low fat days when I lift. So far, I am just maintaining ~ 133-135 lbs, but I am forever hopeful for fat loss/muscle gain.
    That's intense! I can't imagine getting down under 120, 125 would be stellar, but I hate being hungry . On the 4 days you were low carb- how low? And did you eat fat? Or just lean meats?

As lean as I could do, since on 1000 calories you can't get in many meals with fat. Fat loss is also faster without fat. Normally below 40 g carbs (recommended was 50, and I shoot for below 30, so around 40 was Okay).

Weight is really not an indicator in this weight range. It is BF% that is. The important thing is not to shred muscle for the sake of dropping weight, as it does not improve your appearance. Inches is the main player, weight is secondary.

And, yeah, I am still in the search of a way to be firm while somewhat full all year round.

Interesting. That is pretty amazing discipline! Do you mind if I ask how old you were when you did this plan? How long did you do it for? And do the low carb days come all in a row, followed by the carb up day, then the normal eating day? And what about the 7th day? I suppose I could just look the plan up

I am almost 38 now, and I did Ultimate diet 2x last year, first time in Sept to go from ~ 125 lbs to ~ 117 lbs (took 8 weeks) and for 4 weeks in the spring (to go from ~ 120 to 113 lbs, then regained, had dreadful virus in the summer while travelling, then fought between 120-125, finally got so sick that gave up last November and gained to ~ 135 by this spring and sit there since, plotting to lose fat somehow).

The plan is 4 days in a row low carb with a couple of endurance workouts 2 days in a row, carb up for 1.5 days, normal eating for 1.5 days (with 2 other workouts in the corresponding window). I had to add cardio because I could not drop cals as low as I should have (50% of maintenance) and function. I also ended up with 5 days of low carbs, one carb up and 1 normal day since my life-style doesn't fit well with the original workout schedule (and I am a middle-aged woman whose fat clings to her).

If you wish, I can send you the program, but I do not know how to keep the weight off once it's lost. You also kindda come to the point when you savor the thought of eating a soup made of hot water, 2 cans of tuna with shiritake noodles with dill for a perfect 300 cals supper.... Maybe if you respond well to VLC, you can. I die a slow and painful death hourly on VLC.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-22-2013 at 07:45 AM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't really matter, as long as you don't have an adverse reaction to sugary fruits such as bloating/whatever.

Have you been low carb for a while? You said the last few pounds have been hard to lose, maybe you need a small refeed?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    What is working for me:

I am 5'6" and was 132 at the end of February. 50 years old. I've been Primal for three years and had already dropped from 145 lbs. My measurements pre-Primal were 36-30-40 and now I am 35-26-36.

In May, I did alternate day fasting for a month and dropped a couple of pounds. ADF wasn't sustainable for me, but it was helpful in getting over my fear of longer fasts. There's a thread on the site with more info.

At the beginning of June, I dropped my carbs from 70-100 gms per day and kept my protein around 60 gm per day to get into ketosis. Carbs under 40 gm. So far, I am 7 weeks in and I am now 125 lbs. I also limit my eating window to 6 hours.

Now that I am keto-adapted, for the next two weeks, I am doing a gentle version of a protein-sparing modified fast. So just lean meat and eggs and green veggies. So far, so good. It's much easier to do this while already in ketosis!

I lift once a week for 20 min, walk 1-2 hours daily and dance barefoot once or twice a month. I plan to up the dancing to once a week. Dancing is how I do my HIIT.

Very slow, but it seems to be working for me. Personally, I feel best in ketosis and have more constant energy and mental clarity than when I was eating more carbs. YMMV!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-22-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Personally, it didn't matter to me. I'm a primarily carb-based eater and I lost my last few eating well over 200g carbs and over 1500 calories a day. I've kept it off and maintained with a high-carb high-protein low-fat diet since. I've always had a naturally thin frame though, it just takes a little more work to stay this way as I age.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast