Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best carbs for weight loss? page 3

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I'm female, 5'6, 136lbs, just trying to lean out and drop those last 5 or so lbs......
    I lift a couple days a week, get som HIIT or sprints in twice a wee, maybe a longer walk or jog.

Is fruit too sugary? Should I be looking only toward starches? Or does it matter as long as total calories are low? I know this is a pretty nit-picky question, but I'm finding these last vanity lb's pretty tough to drop.

Any other advice?
    Sugar is the best carb source for weight loss. Eat fruit. Especially given the exercise you are doing. Veggies are not really an appropriate suggestion within this context.

Eat fruit.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    “Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity.”

Fructose does not require insulin.
    I've never heard this before! But if it's true, awesome, b/c I love fruit but have always feared the sugar. Tx!

Alykat is offline Member
    Thank you Damiana!

I second the lower fat, limit oil to 1 tbl a day & 1 avocado a day. See how fruit vs starches make you feel. Starches make me sleepy and achy, fruit makes me happy but also makes me hungry so i Use it as a snack on the go food.

I've tried low carb higher fats and my body held on to the fat (no fruit or starches at all).
    Most of my life I'm low fat unlimited carbs & stay lean. Yet if I eat the wrong animal foods my figure suffers :-(
    Maybe get a food allergy test, if you omit the foods your body sees as toxic you will definetly look and feel better.

One more thing about low carb lifestyle - yesterday (Monday) on oneradionetwork.com podcast about tooth decay they talked about seeing people who live low carb end up shutting down there metabolism long term- not good!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Sugar is the best carb source for weight loss. Eat fruit. Especially given the exercise you are doing. Veggies are not really an appropriate suggestion within this context.

Eat fruit.
    ^ Hehe, this might be the all-time worst advice ever given on MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I've never heard this before! But if it's true, awesome, b/c I love fruit...
    It's not true. Sorry.

Goldenlion is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I'm new to all this and was checking on quinoa. I saw lots of reference to white rice being preferable. Why white and not brown? Thanks.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Keep in mind that there are lots of contradictory claims made about weight loss that are either untestable or untested in any remotely controlled manner, even a carefully defined n=1 on the part of those who support these techniques.

Eat high carb! Eat low carb! Eat only starchy carbs! Eat all your carbs as fruit! Eliminate all PUFAs from your diet and those moobs will just disappear!

What matters long-term is what you eat long-term. What you do in the short term may be good for reaching a short-term goal, but obviously that is not what you really want.

Or you could start testing these things properly, so you can find out what affects you and what you can live with.

Plan to weigh yourself every day for the duration of this experiment and record the information. It is best to have your body fat measured at the beginning and periodically. Take some measurements, if only waist and chest measurements. Take a photo of your body for the "before-and-after" shot.

First you need to know what your diet is right now. I suggest you spend a week carefully measuring and weighing everything you eat, entering it into a diet site online and letting the site calculate your calories and macros, so you know where you stand.

You may find you are consuming a lot more calories than you thought you were. You may be surprised by your actual macros, or maybe not.

The next step would be to create a baseline against you will compare changes. Based on how many calories you have been consuming and whether your weight is stable, increasing, or decreasing, you may need to adjust your calorie intake. Set yourself a protein target in grams/day based on your likely protein needs. Decide how you want to divide up your energy calories (carbs vs fat), set it in stone for now, and plan your menus daily in advance to make sure you meet that goal. I suggest dividing your energy calories between carbs and fat evenly at this point.

After a week, reassess. If your weight is trending up or down, tweak your calories again. When you are stable you are ready to proceed with the next phase. Make sure your weight has been stable for a week or two before you move on from this phase.

According to conventional wisdom, cutting your calories by 500 calories a day should result in a loss of 1 pound per week, and cutting calories by 1000 calories per day will result in a loss of 2 pounds per week. This is something you can now test.

I suggest keeping your carb v fat ratio constant while you do this.

You can report your results after a month, or after you reach your goal. You don't have a lot of weight to lose, so you may find you get the results you are looking for and can stop.

Or you may wish to cycle through various test parameters to see what happens when you do 2 weeks of VLC, then high carb, then low fat. What happens when you get all your carbs as starches or as sugar?

And beyond this there are lots of other things that can be tested. Does eating the same food in a different number of meals make a difference? Do some of these changes make it harder to stick with the diet? Do any of the changes affect body composition?

When you reach your goal, you could even go back to the maintenance phase (where you will probably find your calorie requirements to be down a little bit), and test macro changes while keeping your intake constant.

Most people just drift. Many of them are able to achieve their goal weights simply by eating clean. For those who are not, if you need to monitor your intake strictly, even for just a while, you can turn it into a research project and get real data out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    ^ Hehe, this might be the all-time worst advice ever given on MDA.

It's not true. Sorry.
    Look at the exercise she's doing, and then think again about suggesting vegetables as the preferred carb source

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Look at the exercise she's doing, and then think again about suggesting vegetables as the preferred carb source
    Don't bother reasoning with that guy, he thinks anyone who eats a piece of fruit is going to balloon up and over 50g of carbs is insidious weight gain. Oh, and calories don't exist and carbs are the sole reason for obesity in the US, despite being the highest calorie consumption in the world with the lowest total carbs and highest total fat cals.

indeed
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Yeah, people here seem to neglect any sort of individual context when handing out advice. I would suggest starch aswell tbh. I mean, eating mass quantities of the stuff(with mass quantities of fat) myself went hand in hand with being very lean. But some will have problems eating a lot of starch, and in light of them wanting to lose weight combined with that amount of exercise, the fruit may be easier for them to accept. I would say fruit>starch is slightly preferable if she's 'got 5lbs to lose', because amongst other things the caloric intake will invariably be lower.

It's a weird question to begin with - What carbs should I eat to lose weight? Perhaps she's not eating a sufficient amount to sustain that activity level.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, people here seem to neglect any sort of individual context when handing out advice. I would suggest starch aswell tbh. I mean, eating mass quantities of the stuff(with mass quantities of fat) myself went hand in hand with being very lean. But some will have problems eating a lot of starch, and in light of them wanting to lose weight combined with that amount of exercise, the fruit may be easier for them to accept. I would say fruit>starch is slightly preferable if she's 'got 5lbs to lose', because amongst other things the caloric intake will invariably be lower.

It's a weird question to begin with - What carbs should I eat to lose weight? Perhaps she's not eating a sufficient amount to sustain that activity level.
    Yeah, a little weird I guess, maybe I should have said-
    I want to drop fat, but I really don't feel satisfied when I eliminate fruits and starch- I can handle it for about a week, then I get sick of it. So, if I want to include carbs and still drop fat, what are the best carbs to include?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast