Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best carbs for weight loss? page 2

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am almost 38 now, and I did Ultimate diet 2x last year, first time in Sept to go from ~ 125 lbs to ~ 117 lbs (took 8 weeks) and for 4 weeks in the spring (to go from ~ 120 to 113 lbs, then regained, had dreadful virus in the summer while travelling, then fought between 120-125, finally got so sick that gave up last November and gained to ~ 135 by this spring and sit there since, plotting to lose fat somehow).

The plan is 4 days in a row low carb with a couple of endurance workouts 2 days in a row, carb up for 1.5 days, normal eating for 1.5 days (with 2 other workouts in the corresponding window). I had to add cardio because I could not drop cals as low as I should have (50% of maintenance) and function. I also ended up with 5 days of low carbs, one carb up and 1 normal day since my life-style doesn't fit well with the original workout schedule (and I am a middle-aged woman whose fat clings to her).

If you wish, I can send you the program, but I do not know how to keep the weight off once it's lost. You also kindda come to the point when you savor the thought of eating a soup made of hot water, 2 cans of tuna with shiritake noodles with dill for a perfect 300 cals supper.... Maybe if you respond well to VLC, you can. I die a slow and painful death hourly on VLC.
    This sounds really rough- I don't know if I'd be able to do it perfectly (I can't stand being too hungry!), but if you don't mind sending the program, I'm curious to learn more about it, and maybe give it a go. I do pretty well on VLC- I get sick of it after a few days, but it kills my hunger and I feel pretty good. I've never done the "carb-up" thing, but I'm sure I'd be pretty good at that! I wonder if it is so efficient b/c it's so much variation over the course of the week?
    Thanks for your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    It doesn't really matter, as long as you don't have an adverse reaction to sugary fruits such as bloating/whatever.

Have you been low carb for a while? You said the last few pounds have been hard to lose, maybe you need a small refeed?
    No bad reaction to fruits, unless they are eaten after a big meal. I don't know if I'm considered "low carb"- it fluctuates... but how low do carbs generally need to be to necessitate a reefed?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    No bad reaction to fruits, unless they are eaten after a big meal. I don't know if I'm considered "low carb"- it fluctuates... but how low do carbs generally need to be to necessitate a reefed?
    I'm going to give you another crappy answer here, but it really depends. I usually consider low carb to be under 100 grams per day, but again, this range is different for everyone.

How's your energy? How's your gym performance? How are you sleeping? If any of these is dropping off a bit, along with stalled fat loss, it may be time for a refeed.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Personally, it didn't matter to me. I'm a primarily carb-based eater and I lost my last few eating well over 200g carbs and over 1500 calories a day. I've kept it off and maintained with a high-carb high-protein low-fat diet since. I've always had a naturally thin frame though, it just takes a little more work to stay this way as I age.
    Damiana- will you give me an example of your average day (bk,lunch, dinner, snack)?
    How much meat do you eat and how often? Guessing you eat fruit and starches?

I found that I tend to gain weight on chicken and turkey but not fish or red meats. If I eat any conventional meat on a regular basis I would gain weight, must be natural raised.

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    I haven't noshed on fruit for 11 years (well unless you consider what I am about to say FRUIT - because they contain seeds)... But the way that I get my energy is through winter squash: spaghetti, butternut, etc. Those squash get me through the day with enough energy, no need for anything else.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Fruit acts independent of insulin, so definitely fruit.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Fruit acts independent of insulin, so definitely fruit.
    What does this mean? That fruit doesn't spike insulin?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alykat View Post
    Damiana- will you give me an example of your average day (bk,lunch, dinner, snack)?
    How much meat do you eat and how often? Guessing you eat fruit and starches?

I found that I tend to gain weight on chicken and turkey but not fish or red meats. If I eat any conventional meat on a regular basis I would gain weight, must be natural raised.
    I am a natural intermittent faster, so 1-2 meals a day. No breakfast, ever. I have not done breakfast since I was a child. I cannot tolerate food early in the day.

So on an average day ~1 pound of pork or chicken with skin.
    1-2 large grapefruits
    ~1 pound of leafy vegetables of my choice, cooked into a soup
    ~1-1.5 pound of a starchy vegetable like sweet potatoes or winter squash, baked.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    What does this mean? That fruit doesn't spike insulin?
    “Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity.”

Fructose does not require insulin.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-23-2013 at 04:27 AM.
    nihil

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The best carbohydrate for weight loss would be vegetables.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast