Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olive oil advice page

nicholasalanbrown is offline Junior Member

Olive oil advice

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello all:

I'm a complete novice when it comes to olive oil. I know it's good for me, I really like it, and I eat it frequently, but I'm getting to the end of my $5.99 Trader Joes bottle and thinking I could probably do better. Most of the advice I've found on the web is either not specific or seems to suggest I stood pay $40 and upwards for a bottle. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Is the Trader Joes stuff I'm buying decent? Any help in civilizing Mr would be greatly appreciated.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    A little 'Extra virgin olive oil' for salads etc with Apple cider vinegar.

Butter, ghee, coconut (saturated fats) for cooking.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I really enjoy the California olive ranch olive oils. reasonably priced, and since they are US produced, you know they aren't adulterated with whatever garbage oil those sneaky Europeans hide in the stuff they export.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    and since they are US produced, you know they aren't adulterated with whatever garbage oil those sneaky Europeans hide in the stuff they export.
    Does US produced foods = no garbage ?

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Does US produced foods = no garbage ?
    not necessarily. but a lot of olive oil that is imported to the US is adulterated with other vegetable/seed/soybean oils and is not labeled in any way. at least the olive oils produced in the US have to be labeled as to what they contain
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

nicholasalanbrown is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I was surprised by that claim too. After all, we are the country who puts corn in nearly everything. Europe also has far more stringent regulators and labeling standards for agriculture.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    A lot of others have poked holes in the claims about adulterated olive oils. Unfortunately I forget the details. It had something to do with California having something to do with the studies. Trader Joes has a California Estate olive oil that is highly rated. I also like their Kalamata Olive Oil. You do NOT have to pay $40 for decent olive oil.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    A lot of others have poked holes in the claims about adulterated olive oils. Unfortunately I forget the details. It had something to do with California having something to do with the studies. Trader Joes has a California Estate olive oil that is highly rated. I also like their Kalamata Olive Oil. You do NOT have to pay $40 for decent olive oil.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    the us isn't the only country finding this to be true. austrailia, new zealand, and even china are finding their imported olive oil supply to be highly adulterated. I think mark even did a blog post about it semi-recently. this isn't just some sleazy corporate funded study that is pushing these results.

here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-yo...#axzz2Zm3nrFqX

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is this is one product where buying local (as in within the country) is better. It seems that what is exported from some countries goes through some adulteration by brokers trying to make more profit by blending cheaper oils into the original product.

I've had good luck with oils bought from California. California olive growers are also working on tightening up the laws regarding labeling. Hopefully they can buy enough politicians to do so.

Here's an interesting article: Consumers like olive oil for health and flavor but need more facts, survey finds :: UC Davis News & Information
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I also like their Kalamata Olive Oil.
    My favorite too.

Everything I buy from TJ's tastes watered down somehow, even vinegar and mustard. I stick to co-ops for oil--the folks in charge there do their homework and are happy to answer questions.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast