Cayenne is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Greetings All:

Summer training = heavy perspiration.

Commercial Drinks = Sugary junk.

Homemade Healthy Primal Recipe = ? ? ?

Your help = My gratitude : - )

Mick Guest

I've seen tennis players take a swig of water and a mouthful of banana between games. IIRC, bananas are high in potassium. I suppose you could take a tiny pinch of seasalt, too.

Basically, I'd have thought skip the drinks and have water and just a little something to eat with it.

Alternatively, Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions has got recipes for a number of lactic-fermented beverages in it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0967089735/

Those might be worth trying, if you're game for the work of making them. They apparently have plenty of mineral ions in them, and they have lactobacilli, which are good for the gut. She says they were traditional drinks for people doing physical work in several parts of the world, and if that's so I suppose they'll have proved themselves over time.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Coconut water. Just make sure you don't get one with added sugar.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I just get the little packets from the health food store. They store in your purse or pocket and have zero added sugars, etc.

Just open, dump in a bottle of water and voila!

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Ultima. Sugar free electrolyte replacement drink.

62shelby Guest

Endurolytes, by Hammer Nutrition

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4037#info4

the powder form has no sugars of any kind.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I was at UF when the original work was being done under contract with the military to find a way to stop heat exhaustion in the troops. The football department was obviously interested. Summer practice in Gainesville is brutal, 95 and 95 temp and RH. That year no player dropped from heat exhaustion, neither in practice or during the season, IIRC. The Gators had a secret weapon.

Gatorade works by a simple principle: Put back into your body what you sweat and urinate out and add some fast sugar carbs for energy.

I used to make a version of Gatorade at home. I reversed engineered the real product by using the calories and mg's of salts to get something really close.....and very, very cheap. a packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid (yeah, yeah), some salt, some salt substitute (for the potassium)and some type of sugar.

You also need a sweetener or some source of quick carbs. Gatorade's biggest ingredient is sucrose, and the second is dextrose. The latter (also known as maltose) delivers its energy much slower than sucrose. You could get some of these slow release results by using brown rice syrup.

Comments on the above post: There is no potassium in table salt, sea or otherwise. Electrolyte packages may or may not be fully effective, depends on your energy needs. You can get all the electrolyte you need from salt and salt substitute. The only metals you need to replace are sodium and potassium.

Nick Guest

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

OTOH http://www.snopes.com/food/origins/gatorade.asp and virtually every other site I found about the history.

Not saying that there wasn't precedent at FSU - although no self respecting Gator will ever admit to it. But even before Gatorade everyone knew to use a lot of salt at meals or take salt pills when you sweat a lot. Very few scientific advances are 100% original.

Maybe the origins at UF have become the stuff of legend, who knows? Dr. Cades died about a year ago, BTW.

CaveGirl Guest

I would go with VitaCoco. Its pure coconut water (nothing added) and it has more electrolytes and much more potassium than most commercial sports drinks. Plus its yummy (and I guess can be considered primal if Grok was in a tropical area with access to coconuts, it makes sense if he ate the meat/oil that he wouldn't just throw out the liquid inside.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast