Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrolyte Replacement page 3

Annika is offline Senior Member

My 14-year-old son just joined the cross-country running team, and his coach recommended drinking diluted Gatorade. My husband bought him some - the only useful things in it are sugar (but it's HFCS), sodium, and potassium. The rest is crap. We will not be buying it again. My local food co-op carries a product called Recharge, which is a health-food Gatorade alternative; it contains water, fruit juice concentrates, and salt. It has more potassium than Gatorade does, without any potassium on the ingredient list. I checked some bottles of plain fruit juice, and they all contained potassium. From what I learned from reading labels, I think that some fruit juice diluted with water and a tiny pinch of salt would give you all the sugar, potassium, and salt you would need.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I think you are on the right track, Annika. Yes, Gatorade is truly crap. The powdered version just subs fructose for the liquid HFCS.

When I was drinking juices - and yes, I do miss them - I always diluted my grapefruit juice about 1:1 or even more. It was much more refreshing.

So why not a nice plum or banana and water?

Annika is offline Senior Member

Water and a whole piece of fruit would be even better in my opinion - unless you are still running. A few swigs of diluted juice takes a few seconds to drink, while fruit takes a couple of minutes, and might not be as easy on the tummy if you are still pushing yourself really hard. I'm not athlete, so I'm just guessing!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

jostle is offline Senior Member

Pickle Juice, the left over juice in the pickle jar, is the best homemade sport drink to replenish your electrolytes without the sugar. A small swig from the jar has always worked for me in the past to relieve/prevent cramping. The only time I get around to drinking it now is long endurance rides.

pulse38echo Guest

Pickle Juice eew I don't know if I can do that. I like the fruit and water idea though.

I know this is not primal but I still like the whey drink after a hard workout.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

not being a smart Arse here just a real question?

Cave men didn't need these kind of drinks? they drank water so why do we? xoox Darlene

PG, Grok only drank water (and some blood and things...) but look how bad the economy was. No jobs, everyone scavenging for what they could eat.

But today, well, thanks to Corporate America convincing wannabe athletes that they need all kinds of thing from expensive shoes to electrolytes, our economy is booming.

Oh, wait.........

goodfriendsam Guest

DO THIS: throw a pinch of natural salt into your water. it has all the electrolytes you need.

electrolytes are important, if you sweat for more than an hour you should replace them. it shouldn't matter if you're not sweating heavily or you're exercising for less than an hour. electrolyte include sodium, potassium, chloride, and bicarbonate.

Sam, salt, even your much vaunted natural salt, does not have potassium in it and it is the other half of the big two of electrolytes. Chlorides are just tag along molecular parts, they are not electrolytes, and bicarbonate of soda (presuming), NaHCO3, is just sodium again. The hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen do nothing. It is not an electrolyte and no different than table salt, it just supples sodium.

goodfriendsam Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

OTB, thanks for the sass. Natural salts DO in fact contain potassium. I appreciate your more biological discussion though, it's true that I do not understand the mechanisms by which electrolytes work and am just relaying information from trustworthy sources.

http://curezone.com/foods/salt/Celti...t_Analysis.asp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast