Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrolyte Replacement page 2

62shelby Guest

Primal Fuel

Gatorade is a croc, personally I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole. ingredients listed, table salt. table salt? the one thats been stripped of any nutritional value? hfcs? huh, I get it, its CARBOHYDRATE replacement for those brain washed, arm chair sports people to sedate them further.

"water, sugar, table salt, carbohydrates, electrolytes (110 mg sodium, 30 mg potassium, 93 mg chloride), high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, glucose, fructose, and sugar.

Gatorade was designed to keep athletes hydrated during competition. The "unique blend of fluid, electrolytes, and carbohydrates" creates a drink that hydrates better than water during times of active workouts.Because of the amount of carbohydrates in Gatorade, over consumption can cause obesity."

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

To move from conjecture to fact, coconut water is water comes from immature coconuts. (Coconut milk is the result of hot water and mature coconuts. Two very different products.) To this day, a Grok descendant whacks the top of the "nut" off, or punches a hole in an "eye" and drinks.

It's carbs, 1/3 fiber and 2/3 sugars. a bit of fats, surprisingly good proteins, and very good potassium. About 18 times that found in Gatorade.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3115/2

I don't think the brand matters, it shouldn't. I guess you could be on the lookout for preservatives or something.

And BTW, if one does go the Gatorade route, use the powdered. The liquid uses HFCS first, and sucrose second. The powder of course has no HFCS and also has slower release dextrose.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

My athletic background is as an ultrarunner. The best way to maintain electrolyte balance (IMHO) is with water and Succeed caps (http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html). Succeed are specially formulated electrolyte capsules that provide the correct amounts of sodium, potassium and other electrolytes. The website has great information about how much to take, etc. Any commercial drink with enough sodium to make any significat difference isn't going to be pallatable.

Unless you're running for hours you don't need calories during exercise...no matter what the drink companies tell you. When it comes to being primal, nothing beats water and pure electrolytes.

Cayenne is offline Junior Member

Thank you all ! "Get Primal", I am definitely going to follow-up with Succeed caps. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, (even though I thought I wanted to create something homemade,) and I completely agree with you that, " Unless you're running for hours you don't need calories during exercise...no matter what the drink companies tell you. When it comes to being primal, nothing beats water and pure electrolytes."

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Beer.

Marloe Guest

I found an electrolyte homemade drink on a health food site some years ago and I use it here in our very hot and humid climate (where we sweat a lot!!!) It works for me. Juice of half a lemon and a small teaspoon of sea salt in a glass of water. I put a little bit of hot water in with the salt and let it dissolve and then add cold water and the lemon juice. Very cheap too as we grow our own organic lemons.

HTH

Marloe

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Marloe, I hate to tell you, but there is nothing in that recipe that old fashioned, not so effective, salt pills do. It is devoid of potassium, which is the other macromineral lost by sweat.

I "reverse engineered" Gatorade once to arrive at the amount of salt and salt substitute to use to make my own. I used unsweetened Koo-Aid for the flavoring, and if I felt like it, some honey. Sorry, I don't have the recipe any more.

Actually, just normal sweating in a hot clime (me, too) doesn't require electrolyte replacement. A decent diet gives you all the sodium and potassium that you need. In fact, you probably get way more sodium than you need, you just need potassium.

It's only under severe heat and exercise load does something like Gatorade starts to be effective. Think UF Gators. If you aren't sweating like they do during practice or a game at this time of year, you do not need electrolytes.

Worst case, salt up (sodium)and salt substitute(potassium) your food.

Helen Guest

I drink kombucha after working out, it is a fermented drink.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

"I drink kombucha..."

But does it have what plants crave?

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Is it absolutely necessary to drink an electrolyte enriched drink? I don't think I ever have...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast