Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is eating primal ever worse for you compared to a "normal" or vegetarian diet? page

FDgreen is offline Member

Is eating primal ever worse for you compared to a "normal" or vegetarian diet?

For example, if you are completely sedentary, is a primal diet worse for your health than a "normal" or vegetarian one?

What about if you are eating lots of saturated fats but also grains? -- is this worse than grains and low sat fat?

There are probably other examples, anyone have thoughts on this?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Grains are poisonous - why would any sane person eat them? Not to mention that eating any carbs combined with fat will guarantee fat storage due to insulin spiking.

The primal diet is better for everyone - sedentary or active. Why? Because it corresponds with our genetics.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

FDgreen is offline Member
    "Grains are poisonous"

That's a bit extreme, though, I'm not exactly a fan of grains. Lots of people do eat and thrive on a diet that includes "poisonous" grains like rice.

I was just wondering if there were situations where "trying to eat primal" could be harmful -- like someone that replaced half their carbs with sat fat but still eats carbs...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Well if you're eating grain you're not eating Primal. I'd agree, grains are poisonous. They may not be arsenic, but they're still wretched.

If you eat Primal and stick to it, there's no time that I can conceive of that it wouldn't be good for you.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I can't see how eating high fat SAD would be much different than eating low fat SAD when it comes to health. Neither is any good and in reality most people even if they think they are eating low fat aren't, they splurge on all kinds of fatty (Vegetable Oil) foods. From experience I would say the higher your carbs, the more likely you are to make bad food decisions.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You would not be eating primal if you were eating a high carb, grain including diet.

BUT, there are folks who follow 'traditional foods' diets, (google Weston Price Foundation for examples of this), which typically involve lots of careful food prep methods (esp when it comes to grains, legumes--things w/ antinutrients, etc.), along w/ purchasing the highest quality available foods like grass-fed/pastured meat and eggs, locally grown produce, and focusing on GOOD fats (saturated animal fat from pastured/grass fed animals, coconut oil, evoo, etc.), and staying away from bad ones (soybean oil, corn oil, etc).

From *my* experience, eating a higher fat, moderate carb and protein diet of all whole foods cooked from scratch at home (including properly prepared, fermented or sprouted grains and legumes), was healthier/better for me than eating SAD or being a vegetarian (which I was for 12 years and suffered many health problems because of.) Adding meat, GOOD fats, and CUTTING bad fats and factory processed foods and anything I hadn't made from scratch at home was MUCH healthier for my body than eating SAD or being a vegetarian. (I lost LOTS of weight as well, and finally felt GOOD for the first time in my life, and stopped getting sick. But I was also 100% gluten, soy, dairy and corn free, which I think had a huge impact on all of this as well...)

That being said, taking the leap and going totally primal/grain free and lowering my carbs to under 150 a day made me feel WAYYYYYY better than I'd ever felt before. I lost more weight (that I could totally afford to lose) and just felt/feel AMAZING! There is a difference, for sure, between eating a traditional foods (grain included) whole foods diet, and eating a primal/paleo/grain free diet.

Now, I don't know if eating partially primally and eating a bunch of crappy things for a large portion of your diet (like delivery pizza and dunkin donuts, etc.) would be better for you than just eating the high carb/sugar/processed foods alone, although I think adding in real, whole, primal foods could only be a good thing as it would at least keep you from putting more not so great food into your body during those primal meals, you know?

Just my thoughts!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Saturated fat, when eaten with carbs, ends up stored as fat (the body burns the carbs first and stores the fat calories as body fat), so you don't want to up your fat intake while still carbing out!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You would not be eating primal if you were eating a high carb, grain including diet.

BUT, there are folks who follow 'traditional foods' diets, (google Weston Price Foundation for examples of this), which typically involve lots of careful food prep methods (esp when it comes to grains, legumes--things w/ antinutrients, etc.), along w/ purchasing the highest quality available foods like grass-fed/pastured meat and eggs, locally grown produce, and focusing on GOOD fats (saturated animal fat from pastured/grass fed animals, coconut oil, evoo, etc.), and staying away from bad ones (soybean oil, corn oil, etc).

From *my* experience, eating a higher fat, moderate carb and protein diet of all whole foods cooked from scratch at home (including properly prepared, fermented or sprouted grains and legumes), was healthier/better for me than eating SAD or being a vegetarian (which I was for 12 years and suffered many health problems because of.) Adding meat, GOOD fats, and CUTTING bad fats and factory processed foods and anything I hadn't made from scratch at home was MUCH healthier for my body than eating SAD or being a vegetarian. (I lost LOTS of weight as well, and finally felt GOOD for the first time in my life, and stopped getting sick. But I was also 100% gluten, soy, dairy and corn free, which I think had a huge impact on all of this as well...)

That being said, taking the leap and going totally primal/grain free and lowering my carbs to under 150 a day made me feel WAYYYYYY better than I'd ever felt before. I lost more weight (that I could totally afford to lose) and just felt/feel AMAZING! There is a difference, for sure, between eating a traditional foods (grain included) whole foods diet, and eating a primal/paleo/grain free diet.

Now, I don't know if eating partially primally and eating a bunch of crappy things for a large portion of your diet (like delivery pizza and dunkin donuts, etc.) would be better for you than just eating the high carb/sugar/processed foods alone, although I think adding in real, whole, primal foods could only be a good thing as it would at least keep you from putting more not so great food into your body during those primal meals, you know?

HTH!

free3337 is offline Member
    Someone with a gallbladder removal might not do well on a high-fat diet lol?

grandma is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am pretty convinced that are three things in the modern diet that are killing us, eliminating these 3 things makes all the difference in the world. They are #1 sugar/HFCS #2 wheat #3 veg oil.
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast