Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Warm, Flakey, Buttery Dream page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

A Warm, Flakey, Buttery Dream

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been in this hypnotic trance of deliciousness ever since dinner a couple of hours ago. I just got the book Primal Cravings and made the biscuts on page 56. I am shocked and stunned at how good they were. They seem too good to be true. The recipe and most of the other recipes call for a lot of tapioca starch and this does have a good amount of carbs. Can this really be okay? I thought this whole thing was supposed to be pretty low carb. I am used to using almond flour and stevia to make these sorts of things. Is tapioca starch really better? It definitely tastes way better. I just thought I better check in before I make the chocolate chip cookies and the Girl Scout samosa cookies and slip further and further into this dream and can't return :-).

So the PC biscut recipe calls for tapioca starch, coconut flour, eggs and a lot of butter.

The almond flour biscut recipe I have been making calls for almond flour, yogurt, onions, parmesan cheese and eggs.

Do you think the PC recipe is healthier?

Is it okay to eat these sorts of treats everyday or are they something you should just do once in a while?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Tapioca starch is empty calories, but if you've got the calories to spare, enjoy.

Paleobird Guest
    It depends on where you are and where you want to be. If you are overweight and trying to lose that, treats like those are probably not a good idea on a regular basis.

Treats=/=staples.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal does not equal low carb. It's all up to you and your personal goals and needs. If you're already in shape and you feel and look good, then have a treat every day. If not, it's up to you and how quickly and effectively you want to meet your goal.

In my culture, we use a lot of tapioca flour and rice flour...never for baking though, lol. They're usually used for steamed savory cakes or used as a steamed shell for a sweet filling. I would imagine the baked goods are fairly benign as far as empty calories go. Don't trick yourself into thinking it's better for you, it's not. It's just more tolerable if you are sensitive to or intolerant to gluten.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Without regard to carbs, I think the tapioca flour is a much healthier choice. It's lighter in calories and isn't prone to oxidation like almond flour baked at high temps. I would enjoy this starch as much as you like within reason, of course. Cover your needs, then fill in the discretionary calories however you like.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I view paleo treats as extra calories- as long as you can afford them (calorie wise) and don't start eating less of the fruits, veggies and meats to make room for them they are fine. I think the problem is when you are trying to lose weight and all the sudden you have 500 extra calories from biscuits and cookies and don't cut calories elsewhere or if you are aware of the calories and start eating smaller portions of meat etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    It almost sounds like you're lacking carbs or some nutrient/s.

Eating these 'sanitised' cakes and biscuits maybe OK for special gatherings/occasions but it's not food IMO.

If you can make it fit into an appropriate diet for yourself and you can stop at the appropriate amount, then great.

For me nutrition is priority, so I won't eat less food to make room for 'safe sweets', that and sweets just complicates the diet for me.

Though admittedly sweets were never really part of my diet so perhaps I don't know how to eat them appropriately :-)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would put a bit of breaks on anything that resembles bread, cookies, pastries etc until you stop wanting bread-like stuff. It is far easier to walk the road if you look ahead, not behind.

For special occasions baking, mixes of rice flour or mushed tubers with starches (tapioca and/or potato) are better than nut flours. The regular 'cake flour' uses starches to make the resulting sponge lighter, so in any baking where you do not need yeast and the goodies do not need to stick together (like cookies), using starches with make the goodies softer and fluffier. An angel food with rice flour and starch is very nice and light.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-22-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    IMO all dry foods like flour are defective as staples. Trying to fill your stomach with them will be more calories and less nutrition than whole foods. As social/celebratory food, use your judgment and enjoy.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post

Do you think the PC recipe is healthier?

Is it okay to eat these sorts of treats everyday or are they something you should just do once in a while?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    as others have said, it depends on your status and goals. there is nothing nutritious about those biscuits, other than as a fat source. you can get that with an avocado or salmon and be much more well-rounded in both a macro- and micro-nutrient way.

you posted a partial menu the other day that was a very skimpy breakfast of some cheese and berries and then a paleo brownie as "lunch". this is not a whole foods day by any stretch.

what is the preoccupation with brownies, biscuits and cookies? where are the meat, fish and eggs? veggies? if you want to have a small biscuit like this alongside your steak, that's one thing, but if you're scarfing down a batch instead of having meals that's not a good path.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast