Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I be low on B12? page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieM View Post
    A common culprit are acid reducers people take for heartburn. The acid reducers can effect what our small intestines are able to absorb. Some medical conditions can cause it like Crohn's or Celiac (both small intestinal diseases) and autoimmune diseases like Lupus or Grave's Disease.

If a deficiency of B-12 deficiency goes on long enough, it can cause a neurological condition called peripheral neuropathy, so make sure you do your best to figure out why it is you are low!
    I actually take Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes to help with my poor digestion. I do have an autoimmune disease - diagnosed as RA but have some lupus like symptoms as well. I didn't realize there was a link there! Any idea where you read that?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    I knew about the autoimmune connection because I had a mystery illness for 4 years prior to diagnosis. I did a lot of research during that time, so I know all sorts of tidbits about random diseases.

I just now did a quick Google search to and picked something top on the list. I'm not saying this site is the most reliable source, but it gives an explanation of why autoimmune issues could cause this problem. http://www.healthy-vitamins-and-mine...eficiency.html

"If, for example, antibodies destroy your vitally important acid-secreting cells lining the stomach through auto-immune inflammation, less stomach acid is secreted and vitamin B12 deficiency is often the result. Here is why..."

If you have access to a library database of journal articles, (free online service through most libraries) that's a wonderful place to search for information like this.

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Have you ever done the test with Betaine HCl where you keep taking tablets in (I think) 5 minute intervals until you feel a warm sensation to figure out the right dose for you? It'd be one less pill than it took to get the warm sensation. If the autoimmune disease is decreasing acid production, the Betaine HCl probably is helping compensate and you may need more than the average person.

Have you ever done the test with Betaine HCl where you keep taking tablets in (I think) 5 minute intervals until you feel a warm sensation to figure out the right dose for you? It'd be one less pill than it took to get the warm sensation. If the autoimmune disease is decreasing acid production, the Betaine HCl probably is helping compensate and you may need more than the average person.
    I did the test, but I did it where I increased the number by one at each meal until I felt a warm sensation. The problem is that I never felt the warming sensation. I got up to 11 pills before each meal. I noticed at 5 pills that my digestion seemed better so I went back down to that dose. Eleven just seems crazy!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

I knew about the autoimmune connection because I had a mystery illness for 4 years prior to diagnosis. I did a lot of research during that time, so I know all sorts of tidbits about random diseases.

I just now did a quick Google search to and picked something top on the list. I'm not saying this site is the most reliable source, but it gives an explanation of why autoimmune issues could cause this problem. Vitamin B12 Deficiency... Are You at Risk?

"If, for example, antibodies destroy your vitally important acid-secreting cells lining the stomach through auto-immune inflammation, less stomach acid is secreted and vitamin B12 deficiency is often the result. Here is why..."

If you have access to a library database of journal articles, (free online service through most libraries) that's a wonderful place to search for information like this.
    Ah yes - that is a specific autoimmune condition called pernicious anemia. I have been tested for that and it came up negative. Thanks though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    If not straight out problems with intrinsic factor, you could be low on some of the co-factors.

This is lengthy, so maybe skip to the later bits where they talk about the co-factors.
    Active B12 therapy and methylation FAQ
    Oh wow - that is a lot to take in. Do you have experience with trying to fix this? Any success?

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Another vote for absorption issue, which I have as well. I take a sublingual supp...my first experience with a B12 injection was not so pleasant, not something I'll do again.
    I was fine with B12 injections at first, but developed an allergy to the shots. I take Jarrow B-right with all the methylated B vitamins. With that, I can keep my B12 level around 500.

Do you know what caused your absorption issue? How to you manage it?

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    I have to ask the most obvious medical question.....do you drink often?

It is a dead-on link between b12 deficiency. It can give a lot of neuropathic issues....

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I was fine with B12 injections at first, but developed an allergy to the shots. I take Jarrow B-right with all the methylated B vitamins. With that, I can keep my B12 level around 500.

Do you know what caused your absorption issue? How to you manage it?
    Within half an hour of the shot, I got a huge, hot rush feeling, like a crazy adrenaline rush or something. I couldn't concentrate to drive (had to pull over) and was on edge like a crackhead for a good 20 mins until it subsided. My energy was crap for the rest of the month after that, so I went back to my morning supp.

I had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago...no real stomach (so not much stomach acid) and a bypassed first foot of small intestine means I don't absorb many things very well. Right now I'm managing it by taking 2500mcg/day sublingual cyanocobalamin, but my ND's asked me to drop that to 1000mcg/day for a bit. I can't say what my levels are like right now, I haven't had them tested in a while.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I have to ask the most obvious medical question.....do you drink often?

It is a dead-on link between b12 deficiency. It can give a lot of neuropathic issues....
    I do drink, but pretty rarely. I would say I average one drink per week. On vacation I might have a couple of drinks a day for 2-3 days of the trip. But nothing regular.

That shouldn't be enough to cause issue, or am I wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast