Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Fruit Debate page

tabithatoes is offline Member

Question The Great Fruit Debate

Primal Fuel
    Ok, folks. Here's where I'm at: 107lbs 17% body fat. Attempting to gain muscle and drop a few lbs body fat (maybe get down to 10%).

So what's the deal with fruit?? I freakin' LOVE the stuff. Today and most days I had half of a banana, 12 cherries, a handful of blueberries, and a small apple. That's only about 40g carbs (I've been accurately measuring my ounces of fruit and using a nutrition tracker). I've been averaging 80-140g carbs per day, so the rest are veggies.

Is fruit really all that bad? Some on the forum say that there's no way you'll lose fat if you're eating fruit because of insulin response, etc. I'm not trying to simply lose weight, I'm trying to alter my body composition. How does fruit play into my goals? If my carbs are to be around 100g per day, what percentage of that should be from fruit and what from veggies?

*Note, I'm probably overthinking this whole thing, but I'm really trying to make progress with PB but still enjoy the foods I love! Thanks in advance for your input

Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Hi! I just started a thread before you with pretty much the same situation!! Some posters seem to be so anti-fruit, but I'm hoping it's not too bad...since I started pb, I swear berries taste completely different and are irresistable!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?9075-Berries!

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    There's certainly not "no way" you will lose while eating fruit. I've been doing PB and CrossFit for two months and have dropped 20 lbs without really trying or wanting to lose weight. My goals are related to fitness, health, and body fat I eat anywhere from 1-4 'servings' of fruit a day, generally picking from:
    1 small/medium apple (used to scoop almond butter, nom nom)
    1/2 cup of berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, cherries)
    1 small orange or 1 grapefruit
    1 banana

So yeah, definitely can drop weight while eating fruit. I am considering cutting back to no more than 2 servings a day to minimize my carb intake because I am trying to lose fat and build lean mass. So, more protein and less carbs.

mstrudle is offline Member
    I cut out fruit for 20 days once to see if it had any effect on my body composition; I remained the same weight, 155 with 8-9% body fat, with no changes. My diet was drab and boring without it, and an apple is far better than a candy bar, or some bread. Don't sweat the fruit. In fact, you probably shouldn't sweat anything that you can pick out of the earth or ground and eat. It's far too anal.

The only reason you should stop eating fruit is if you are diabetic and have a problem with blood sugar and insulin raises. Fruit is very easily digested and, like potatoes, a good fuel for CHO-dependent activities. If you're very worried about any potential fat gain, time your fruit intake around your workouts.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Fruitis awesome, and yeah, if your worried about it, center it around your workouts. You can burn it off no problem. Apples are amazing.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a big fruit person other than as a flavoring for cooking really, but if you want to lose faster I'd recommend losing faster I'd advice dropping your carbs lower over all. Fruits do have more sugars than veggies of course, but I would not try to balance the two. Some of both won't hurt, but it's more important to have plenty of fat and protein.
    (Eat more fat is Griff's line. Not trying to steal your thunder, Griff)

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I agree the anti-fruit atmosphere appearing here is uncalled for. People are going nuts about it containing fructose, but there isn't really any scientific evidence showing fruit to be unhealthy because of its fructose content. It's basically the same as theorizing that since meat contains cholesterol and cholesterol is related to heart disease -> meat = heart disease, and we all certainly know that isn't true. Even most veggies contain some amount of fructose. I'm not saying you should chow down an apple tree, but 1-3 servings daily isn't likely to do any harm, and is probably good for you. Basically just get annoyed when people ask for comments on their diets and people start telling him/her to drop the small apple the person consumes every other day because of too high carbs and eat nothing but coconut oil / whatever...

foodaddict is offline Member
    Back home I love blueberries, strawberries, apples, pineapple. I just have a bit of it in the morning. Blueberries are phenomenal and contain a ton of antioxidants.

I wouldnt go crazy with fruit though. But I think they belong in a healthy diet.

tabithatoes is offline Member
    Good advice, everyone. It's tough because a lot of people on the forums act as if fruit will totally sabotage fat loss. Glad to hear that a couple servings of fruit per day is totally primal! Seems like something Grok would've eaten at every opportunity

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mark's "carb pyramid" shows 6+ servings of veggies a day and 1-7 servings of legumes/rice/yams/nuts/fruit. So a bit of fruit certainly falls in line with PB thought, assuming you're loading up on veggies as well!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast