Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips for buying a suit? page 3

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    Can I get a nice $500-600 suit, there?
    The Nordstrom's closest to me is pretty small, with a pretty limited selection, so I never go there looking for something specific. In Houston, you may have better luck. I don't know if they generally carry suits in that price range. It would not surprise me if they have sale merchandise in that range. Their sales associates are also trained to sell as much as possible, but you won't have to beat them off with a stick, like at Men's Wearhouse.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Here's one link to get you started:Custom Suits & Mens Suits | Indochino. But there's lots of online Asian-based tailors where you can send off your measurements and get a custom made suit for <$500. Presidential candidates and late night talk show hosts are known to buy their suits this way.
    Thanks for telling me about that process, Rich. Unfortunately, I need a suit within about 3 weeks, so I won't be able to order a custom suit this time. However, when I need to buy a second suit (I will in the future), I'll give custom Asian-made ones some serious consideration. And I want to thank everyone else for responding, as well. It's helping me a lot.

I talked to a fellow in the suit department at the Nordstrom in Houston over the phone. He said that they're having an anniversary sale and that they offer tailoring. He said that the service is usually free, unless it's for something significant (like a 10" drop between the chest and waist). I was thinking, "Dang, that's actually about right for me. More money out of my pocket, haha." Oh well, the online reviews for their store are pretty positive (both for clothing quality and customer service).

Anyway, my current plan is to go to their store and buy a navy suit, a white shirt, a maroon tie, and some dark brown shoes (to match my belt). I might also buy some socks (black?) and some shoe care items. I'll have the suit tailored, and factor that into my budget. Any suggestions about this?
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for telling me about that process, Rich. Unfortunately, I need a suit within about 3 weeks, so I won't be able to order a custom suit this time. However, when I need to buy a second suit (I will in the future), I'll give custom Asian-made ones some serious consideration. And I want to thank everyone else for responding, as well. It's helping me a lot.

I talked to a fellow in the suit department at the Nordstrom in Houston over the phone. He said that they're having an anniversary sale and that they offer tailoring. He said that the service is usually free, unless it's for something significant (like a 10" drop between the chest and waist). I was thinking, "Dang, that's actually about right for me. More money out of my pocket, haha." Oh well, the online reviews for their store are pretty positive (both for clothing quality and customer service).

Anyway, my current plan is to go to their store and buy a navy suit, a white shirt, a maroon tie, and some dark brown shoes (to match my belt). I might also buy some socks (black?) and some shoe care items. I'll have the suit tailored, and factor that into my budget. Any suggestions about this?
    Yeah, don't wear brown shoes with black socks. Socks should match either the pants (preferable) or the shoes (acceptable). But no brown with black.

Navy socks? Intriguing!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

JennHeart is offline Junior Member
    I'm planning on buying a suit for job interviews and other formal occasions. I also need a dress shirt, a tie, and some dress shoes. My budget for everything (including tax and tailoring) is about $1000. I'm not really sure what to look for in a suit. I'm about an hour drive from Houston, so a store there would probably be my best bet. I wear jeans and a t-shirt 99% of the time, and formal clothing isn't exactly my specialty . Any advice?
    My husband got some dress shirts from Van Huesen. Clearance section, about $15/shirt, and if you join their text club, you get an additional discount. The shirts are high quality and tailored. If you have a slim-ish physique, get the fitted shirts. They are very flattering. Like.... I-can't-wait-to-rip-them-off-of-him flattering.

We have a store in town here and they are running sales constantly. We have not gotten a suit from there yet, DH has suits and dress blues, so he hasn't needed a new one since I've known him, but the ones on display seem very well tailored. Tailoring is the key to a good looking suit. If it fits you like a box, it won't say, "Professional". But if it follows the lines of your body, it will look good, even if it's not a name brand. So if you can get a moderate suit and take it to a professional tailor, it will be a great suit. Then take good care of it in the laundering department (get a punch card at the dry cleaners and only wear it when you have to. Don't put it on at 8am for a 2pm interview, unless you absolutely cannot find a way to change right before your interview.)

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Get black shoes, not brown.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the help everybody. I got everything that I needed (and for $12 under budget ). I was definitely a fish out of water during the process, but an associate helped me out quite a bit. The deed is done!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123