Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to bulk up a 17 year old male? page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

How to bulk up a 17 year old male?

Primal Fuel
    My brother is 17 and is looking to join the army after he graduates from college. He would like to receive an ROTC scholarship, as well. However, the army recruiter told him that he may not even pass the physically, since he is so skinny. He is about 5'7 and 120 pounds. He is borderline underweight, and may not pass the physical in order to get his ROTC scholarship.

I'm not exactly sure of what he eats throughout the day, but it usually consists of this: sugary cereal with milk, hot pockets, ice cream, pancakes, bread with Nutella, frozen microwaveable hamburgers, etc. My mother does cook sometime, but not always healthy. He is a very picky eater, and so often times she will make lasagna or pasta for him. My mother also makes very healthy dishes(a lot of wheat free dishes such as vegetable stir frys, or stews. However, he doesn't eat them.

His workout routine consists of almost all cardio. He runs cross country for his high school, and so he can run very well. His endurance is extremely high. However, he is severely lacking in muscle.

What are some foods he could eat that would help him gain weight? (The right type of weight. He needs more muscle weight than fat weight). I was thinking steak, eggs, etc. are good. Eat other suggestions? Also, the problem is that he eats very very very little. My 55 year old frail mother eats way more than he does. He doesn't have an eating disorder. He just truly is not hungry.

Any thoughts? My mother and I have been trying to get him to eat healthy.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Tell him to cut out cardio, hit the weight room and eat Milk, Cheese, potatoe, butter, steak.

Or become an endurance athlete instead of the army thing

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Tell him to cut out cardio, hit the weight room and eat Milk, Cheese, potatoe, butter, steak.

Or become an endurance athlete instead of the army thing
    Thank you. His heart is set on the military, and so that's what he wants to do. I'm going to cook him a steak meal with tons of butter and maybe some white rice on the side. I tend to cook for my family anyway.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Give him one liter of chocholate milk as a "dessert" to finish every meal and buy him a gym membership...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    He's going to need a reality check if he's going to reach his goal. The truth is that he's going to have to sack up. He needs to start eating like a functioning human being: meat, potatoes, rice, milk, yogurt, fish, cottage cheese, nut butters, fruits, and vegetables.

He needs to cut down on the endurance training and start a basic beginner's weight lifting routine (Starting Strength would be a good place to start) and put on some mass. If he doesn't like it, too f'in bad. If he wants to reach the goal he's set for himself, he's going to have to find some internal motivation and be willing to take the steps necessary to succeed.

Yes, you and your mother can help him to an extent, but if he's going to make a change, it's got to be a decision that he makes for himself.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Protein!!! Protein!! But make sure it's HEALTHY sources of protein - grass-fed beef, wild game, free-range pork, turkey and chicken (free ranged too), omega-3 enriched eggs, wild fatty fish... Things like that. Also, be sure he eat copious amounts of healthy fat too; coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, olives, fish, egg yolks, grass-fed beef tallow... Things like that!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Jake is right.

Looks like he's not going to put muscle on eating his way and he wont eat real food to put on muscle.

Nothing can be done.

When he realizes this he can correct his eating or find something else to do.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Yep, less cardio &: Milk, cheese, steak, potatoes. Dense, clean calories & lots of them

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Liquid calories are best for low appetites. You could devise a heavy cream or coconut milk potion with the necessary flavors and nutrients.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A gallon of milk a day plus weight lifting. Real food, too. He's not going to get hot pockets in the military.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast