Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting San Diego - ideas on how to spend a day? page

Twigs is offline Junior Member

Visiting San Diego - ideas on how to spend a day?

Shop Now
    I am coming to San Diego the first weekend of August for business and will have Saturday 3rd free. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spend the day?!

I was also wondering if there were any primal shops I should take advantage of whilst I'm over? Eg skin care, vibram suppliers etc. Going slightly off topic here but interested in your thoughts - someone recommended Aveeno products to me but I'm not sure if using something with wheat or soy in it is a good idea if we are trying not to eat them?!

I think I will be staying in the Emerald Plaza area so anything in walking distance would be great.

Thanks!

Paleobird Guest
    Hi there,
    I live here in "Americas Finest City". (And it gets that name for a reason.) The Emerald Plaza is just a few blocks from where I live.
    There are a lot of good primal restaurants in the area. All easy walks from your hotel.

Cowboy Star steak house (GF meat)
    The Burger Lounge (GF meat)
    Rei do Gado (Brazilian churascurio)
    The Lion's Share (they have Boar meatloaf and kangaroo tartare)

Plus lots of great seafood places. Lou and Mickey's has a great oyster bar if you like raw seafood. In the Seaport Village shopping area (which is a couple of blocks from your hotel) there are two really good places for seafood, The Charthouse , and The Fish Market. Both have lovely views out over the harbor. They do get crowded on summer weekends however so go early if you can.

As far as tourist attractions go, the SD Zoo is in a class by itself. You could walk to it from your hotel but it would be a bit of a hoof. But it would only be a 10 minute cab ride. You could spend a week there and not see the whole thing.

Don't bother with Seaworld if you only have one day.

Vibrams can be bought from the local REI store but that is not in the downtown area. They are the only authorized dealer in town. Others you might find are knockoffs.

P.s. since you want to do some shopping and will have a Saturday as your day off, I would recommend the Little Italy Farmer's Market. They have things like skin care products that would be miles better than Aveeno. There is one African lady there who sell organic shea butter mixes.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.

lynelle135 is offline Member
    I second the recommendation of the San Diego Zoo. It is world class and when I visited it appeared that the animals were well treated.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I third the rec for SD Zoo. I used to live in an adjacent neighborhood (North Park) and I would walk there daily with my yearly pass. My favorite things to see there were the parrots, the walk-thru aviaries with the lorikeets and the humming birds and they even have a dorky animal show with parrots and sea lions among other animals that is actually pretty awesome. The grounds overall are really lovely.

There's a park nearby to the zoo (well, it's pretty much the same park the zoo is in) called Balboa park. If you like plants they have a nice arboretum. Somewhere in the area there was also this really interesting little arts and crafts plaza.

I also worked at Sea World briefly. It's a tad pricey for what you get. The only things there that really wowed me were walking through the sharks and the penguin exhibit. The food there was TERRIBLE.

There was really good gooey gelato at this place on India street which is sort of down near the Star of India, or a few miles from it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I was in San Diego in June. Robin recommended the Zoo and Rei do Gado, and I did both. Highly recommended!

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I was born and raised in San Diego, and there are times I miss it! I haven't been home in more than 20 years! The Zoo was awesome 20 years ago, and it's only gotten better. Balboa park is very cool. Having only one day to play around is a bummer. Seaport Village is great too, for shopping and fooding (I used to work there!), plus there are some great views of the ocean.

I hope you have a great time, safe travels!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There was really good gooey gelato at this place on India street which is sort of down near the Star of India, or a few miles from it.
    You must be talking about Gelato Vero. Just down the hill from my old house in Mission Hills. Yes, very good.

There is a new place downtown that would be within walking distance of the OP's hotel called Chocolat. Great gelato and they have a flourless chocolate decadence cake that is mouthgasmicly good, like a wedge of fudge.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You must be talking about Gelato Vero. Just down the hill from my old house in Mission Hills. Yes, very good.

There is a new place downtown that would be within walking distance of the OP's hotel called Chocolat. Great gelato and they have a flourless chocolate decadence cake that is mouthgasmicly good, like a wedge of fudge.
    Yes, Gelato Vero. I don't know how I managed to stumble upon it. It was on my way to work and I used to get espresso drinks there and one day thought I would try the gelato. I couldn't figure out why they sold it in such tiny little cups until I tried my first one. Then it was like whoa, this is awesome!

I used to go to a place called Quel Fromage for coffee, too. It was in the gay section of town. I wonder if it is still there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yes, Gelato Vero. I don't know how I managed to stumble upon it. It was on my way to work and I used to get espresso drinks there and one day thought I would try the gelato. I couldn't figure out why they sold it in such tiny little cups until I tried my first one. Then it was like whoa, this is awesome!

I used to go to a place called Quel Fromage for coffee, too. It was in the gay section of town. I wonder if it is still there.
    No, Quel Fromage closed a long time ago. I knew the guys that ran that place. It is now a really good Afghani restaurant called The Kyber Pass.

Good Italian gelato only needs a small helping, it is so dense and intense.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    "The Lion's Share" as an eatery name (where boar and roo are served, no less) is such a stitch! That is right up there with my all-time favorite laundromat name, which belongs to a local washery - "The Lost Sock".

No, I don't know San Diego, but I do know the Amtrak train pulls in there. The kids looked that one up - they want to combine a cross-country train ride with a trip to Sea World the next time hubby goes there on business.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast