Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting Coffee page

dmccall4 is offline Junior Member

Quitting Coffee

Shop Now
    Has anyone ever cut out coffee (and caffeine)? I tried it cold turkey today but I broke down and had a half a cup at midday. I have felt terrible all day. It gets better? It's worth it? Because I use cream and sugar and can't seem to be able to get used to it black. Also, I hate the "need" of it in the morning and I'm not sleeping well at night. I was hoping cutting coffee out of my diet would help the sleep problem too. Has anyone ever stopped drinking coffee and lived to tell about it?

Paleobird Guest
    Many years ago, yes. I had a really good reason. I started having seizures. So, definitely worth it for me.

I think any time you let any substance rule your life (e.g. "Don't even talk to me, I haven't had my coffee yet!") I think you are giving up a piece of your independence.

There is a product called Teecchino which you can order on the net that is delicious and scratches the warm beverage in the morning itch. (No I don't work for them, I'm just a good customer.)

piggy is online now Senior Member
    Yes for some 6 months but eventually decided that it was not worth the effort.
    The first week was difficult but things got a lot better the second week, didn't even miss it after the third week.
    I used to drink my coffee with milk and sugar. First I cut the sugar gradually to zero, then switched milk to heavy cream and cut it gradually to zero and now I drink my coffee black with some spice : cinnamon or ginger even cardamon . .

Sent from my Nexus 4

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I quit coffee for 16 years. Then I turned 17...

All jokes aside, if you've been drinking coffee for a long period of time, cutting it out cold turkey can be an absolutely brutal experience. Every once in a while I'll take two weeks off to reset my tolerance, and the first week is rough. However, if you can get past the first week, you should feel much better and your sleep quality will improve drastically.

It's tough, but it can certainly be done.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    I only drink coffee when someone offers to make me one. Sometimes I'll have two or three a day, sometimes none for a week or more. I don't feel any different in any way.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccall4 View Post
    Has anyone ever cut out coffee (and caffeine)? I tried it cold turkey today but I broke down and had a half a cup at midday. I have felt terrible all day. It gets better? It's worth it? Because I use cream and sugar and can't seem to be able to get used to it black. Also, I hate the "need" of it in the morning and I'm not sleeping well at night. I was hoping cutting coffee out of my diet would help the sleep problem too. Has anyone ever stopped drinking coffee and lived to tell about it?
    Coffee has numerous benefits, but lack of tolerance can signal glycogen depletion. It should never be taken on it's own because that will induce cortisol issues, especially not first thing in the morning when cortisol is higher. It won't raise it, but will not allow it to come down for a while. If I have it black and first thing in the morning, I feel weird and off balance, but with milk and/or sugar I'm totally balanced.

The 'need' of it is important to analyse since your system is telling you that you do infact need something. You obviously crave it for a reason. If your sleep problem does not subside since excluding coffee then it's obviously not the problem so use it as an experiment. Consider context - for instance, what else did you eat during the day when you had that coffee?

stopping coffee is not going to kill you, but it has it's therapeutic purposes and to some(not mainstream obviously) it is considered a nutrient as opposed to an evil drug.

dmccall4 is offline Junior Member
    I wish I woke up energetic instead of needing a lift/boost. Instead I drag and I'm foggy until coffee then I drink it and I'm wired and anxious. I'm tired of the crazy cycle.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    The 'need' of it is important to analyse since your system is telling you that you do infact need something. You obviously crave it for a reason.

stopping coffee is not going to kill you, but it has it's therapeutic purposes and to some(not mainstream obviously) it is considered a nutrient as opposed to an evil drug.
    Heh. Talking about the nutritive benefits of coffee is like Derp trying to rationalize his smoking habit (he actually said they were good for you.) Coffee does not have anything that you can't get elsewhere in food.

Yes, there is a reason you crave it. It's called addiction. That's not the same thing as "need".

@ dmccall - That's not coffee's fault, it's the way you're eating and living. Take coffee out of the equation and try to work out why you are foggy and lethargic. I suspect your thyroid/metabolism is somewhat in need of fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Heh. Talking about the nutritive benefits of coffee is like Derp trying to rationalize his smoking habit (he actually said they were good for you.) Coffee does not have anything that you can't get elsewhere in food.

Yes, there is a reason you crave it. It's called addiction. That's not the same thing as "need".
    Nevertheless, it still has nutritional benefits(like magnesium), even if it can be gotten elsewhere. What sort of argument is that? Lol.

I'm not saying he/she needs caffeine, I'm saying he/she needs something and he/she goes to the coffee, and that should be something to consider. Calling it an addiction is to call coffee a drug. It isn't. Used properly it's more like a supplement, but it all depends on your context and health.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast