Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Coffee page 4

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    What's your reasoning behind this?
    In short, because it balances out the increase in adrenaline when taking caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccall4 View Post
    I wish I woke up energetic instead of needing a lift/boost. Instead I drag and I'm foggy until coffee then I drink it and I'm wired and anxious. I'm tired of the crazy cycle.
    As I said, what's coffee got to do with it? The fact that you wake up with brain fog and no energy came first, and not having coffee will have exactly what effect on that?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    I CAN wake up without it(do everyday infact), I don't get headaches without it, nor am I 'cranky' in it's absence. I drink it perhaps once or twice a day, though went one week without it this month. Does this still mean it's a drug? Because it doesn't seem that I'm addicted to it.

Your junkie analogy helps NO-ONE, other than to be sensationalist. A habit is different from an addiction, might I add.

Now, what I have been trying to get across to the OP is that her issues probably lie elsewhere away from coffee. If she feels shit with it, by all means don't drink it. But her context is different from mine, and thus your drug and junkie analogy is actually just callous generalising, or spreading bullshit as i like to put it. Op needs to take coffee out of the equation because her health quandry has nothing to do with it.
    That's *your* experience with it and so, *for you* it is not a problem.
    The OP obviously does have a problem with it, as do a lot of people.
    Calling addiction out for what it is is not being sensationalist. It is being realistic. A wake up call to those who let a substance rule their worlds. Yes, I know that habit and physical addition are two different things. Caffeine qualifies as an addictive substance.
    Some people can do an occasional line of blow at a party and not be addicted at all while others turn into coke heads. The substance is addictive. There are variations in the individual's reaction to it. Same with coffee.
    What is the harm in the OP trying decaffeinating to see if this is the culprit?
    Why are you so adamant that the problem is elsewhere? You are hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras instead of horses.

You are so oblivious to what the OP is actually saying that I'm astounded.

I wish I woke up energetic instead of needing a lift/boost. Instead I drag and I'm foggy until coffee then I drink it and I'm wired and anxious. I'm tired of the crazy cycle.
    What has this got to do with coffee? What has this got to do with drinking coffee, stopping drinking coffee, drinking coffee decaffeinated?

She explicitly tells us that she wakes up with

a) No energy.
    b) Foggy.

She then drinks coffee and feels wired and anxious. The problem comes before coffee, in that she feels the need to consume something to take her out of her lethargy. THAT is where the initial problem lies, and has F-all to do with coffee. Hence why I am adamant she looks elsewhere, like why she wakes up feeling like that in the first place. She can cut coffee if she likes, but the core of the problem is not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That's *your* experience with it and so, *for you* it is not a problem.
    Which is what I actually wrote, hence finding your junkie analogy retarded.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i started a thread a short while ago which is poss a few pages back about caffeine addiction. i actual agree with PB on this one. it is an addictive substance and i will be the first to admit i am an addict. funny thing is i always say i have an addictive personality but i can take or leave alcohol and cigarettes and the more nefarious substances. as in i can binge smoke, social smoke or not have any for months if not years. but caffeine. i struggle to deal with life without. and it's not the hiding behind a cup of coffee and it's not suddenly everything being fine when i have a cup of coffee. i was prob too caffeinated up to ever notice any ups and downs. but more i have a total brain fog now. i cant concentrate, i forget things. my brain is needing to work out how to function without caffeine as it has done it for an incredibly long long time. i am all of 30 days in now. woohoo!!! i am sorta getting the will to live back but i am doping myself up with L-tyrosine which is a precursor to dopamine. i read somewhere about caffeine and dopamine. i still havent got my head around it but it is a huge piece in the puzzle for me. and it is also a cumulative thing, caffeine has slowly become more and more of an addiction as i have gotten older and the way it has effected me has changed.

Paleobird Guest
    You are so oblivious to what the OP is actually saying that I'm astounded.

OP quote:"I wish I woke up energetic instead of needing a lift/boost. Instead I drag and I'm foggy until coffee then I drink it and I'm wired and anxious. I'm tired of the crazy cycle."

What has this got to do with coffee? What has this got to do with drinking coffee, stopping drinking coffee, drinking coffee decaffeinated?

She explicitly tells us that she wakes up with
    a) No energy.
    b) Foggy.

She then drinks coffee and feels wired and anxious. The problem comes before coffee, in that she feels the need to consume something to take her out of her lethargy. THAT is where the initial problem lies, and has F-all to do with coffee. Hence why I am adamant she looks elsewhere, like why she wakes up feeling like that in the first place. She can cut coffee if she likes, but the core of the problem is not that.
    The "problem" she is feeling in the morning is the lack of coffee. It's called Jones-ing for a fix.

Which is what I actually wrote, hence finding your junkie analogy retarded.
    I find using a derogatory word for a developmental disability as an insult to be offensive and juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i started a thread a short while ago which is poss a few pages back about caffeine addiction. i actual agree with PB on this one. it is an addictive substance and i will be the first to admit i am an addict. funny thing is i always say i have an addictive personality but i can take or leave alcohol and cigarettes and the more nefarious substances. as in i can binge smoke, social smoke or not have any for months if not years. but caffeine. i struggle to deal with life without. and it's not the hiding behind a cup of coffee and it's not suddenly everything being fine when i have a cup of coffee. i was prob too caffeinated up to ever notice any ups and downs. but more i have a total brain fog now. i cant concentrate, i forget things. my brain is needing to work out how to function without caffeine as it has done it for an incredibly long long time. i am all of 30 days in now. woohoo!!! i am sorta getting the will to live back but i am doping myself up with L-tyrosine which is a precursor to dopamine. i read somewhere about caffeine and dopamine. i still havent got my head around it but it is a huge piece in the puzzle for me. and it is also a cumulative thing, caffeine has slowly become more and more of an addiction as i have gotten older and the way it has effected me has changed.
    Congratulations on taking control of your life back. I think this cumulative effect over the years happens to a lot of people. They were fine with it when they were younger but then it sneaks up on them and does a lot of damage before they realize it.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on taking control of your life back. I think this cumulative effect over the years happens to a lot of people. They were fine with it when they were younger but then it sneaks up on them and does a lot of damage before they realize it.
    LOL well i would say it is a very thin veneer of control! it's only i am too obstinate to give in now i have gotten this far and i actual cant see a way i can moderate. still working on the dopamine theory here but i do wonder if caffeine can alter how your dopamine receptors form even? kinda like you're not sposed to smoke weed till you are 18 or some other age as your brain is still developing.

Paleobird Guest
    Interesting theory. I do know that any time any one receptor is hit over and over chronically for years, there is a weakening in the ability of the body to respond properly.
    Ex: higher carb advocates keep pointing out that insulin spikes are perfectly normal and not harmful and they are right. It is the chronic, long term elevation of insulin that causes the receptor to malfunction. I read the analogy somewhere about turning on a light switch every day using a hammer. Eventually the switch is going to wear out.

My theory is that the same thing happens with caffeine. You pound the switch on every day and then, as you get older, you need to hit it harder and harder to get the same effect as cracks start to form. Eventually you end up with adrenal fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The "problem" she is feeling in the morning is the lack of coffee. It's called Jones-ing for a fix.
    Hence why she needs to look at why she needs it to wake up. The not being in a good state upon waking is a clue. You seem to imply her complete lack of morning energy is somehow connected to the coffee. I'm saying for the last time that she needs to broaden her horizon by alot, because the lack of energy is irrelated to a need of coffee, but the need of coffee is indicating something to her. Whether or not coffee is addictive for her, it's pretty irrelevant to the first issue which is poor energy and therefore a skewed metabolism.

I find using a derogatory word for a developmental disability as an insult to be offensive and juvenile.
    I'm sure you'll get over it. Your junkie analogy is retarded though(i.e - underdeveloped).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast