Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for letting go of chronic cardio page

Meghanner is offline Senior Member

Advice for letting go of chronic cardio

I give the advice to let go of chronic cardio nearly everyday in my practice. I get the science behind it but am having SUCH a hard time taking a dose of my own medicine. How did others let go? I'm healing from HA & low hormones (normal thyroid hormones however) and adrenal fatigue (they often all go together). I find mega stress reduction from cardio and find that these more intense 10-20 min workouts just aren't cutting it for making me feel at ease...Love some honest suggestions from others who have experienced the same things.

kes
    kes is offline Junior Member
    I am having a hard time, too. I love running, and I like to do lots of stretching, kicking, etc. while watching tv.

Although, you know, if the idea here is to do what your body is built for, I don't know that I agree that people didn't do a lot of cardio to get by. I have to limit my running because of an injury anyway, so I think what I am doing is reasonable. I think I am going to do what I like for now and stick with the nutrition. Maybe that is how I will ease into it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Trying fast pace walk on a treadmill , u can measure ur heart rate with monitor and it's a good workout too.

Walk & lift heavy things & the occasional sprints !!!

London UK

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Find another outdoorsy hobby to pursue that allows you to remain stress-free.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    What do you do that you consider to be chronic cardio? What have been the effects of it?

If what you're doing makes you feel great and provides "mega stress reduction", then it's probably not chronic cardio. Give us some details though.

I do a lot of things... But I've noticed over the past few years I do them more to burn calories and try to stay mega fit than for the "pleasure". I haven't menstruated since 2007 and am in the end stages of adrenal fatigue (where your morning cortisol is low). Something needs to change. Ive just started upping carbs as per Perfect Health Diet and Stefani Rupers advice and know exercise is a big part of it.
    I trail run, mountain bike and open water row when I'm off call (a few times every two weeks) and run, elliptical, do short bodyrock style cardio/body weight most other days. I rarely take a day off unless I was at a birth for greater than 30hrs.
    I'm thinking of letting go of my gym membership, keeping the outdoor exercise (cause its play!) but dialing it down when I'm pooped (like today!). Keeping a 12-20 min home based workout and doing some walking. Thoughts?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to consider that what your mind is interpreting as "mega stress reduction" seems to be something your body is interpreting as something different. It's your body's interpretation that really matters. If you have to force yourself to learn to listen to your body and give it what it needs, so be it.

A smoker may say that they smoke because it relieves stress. Anyone else can tell them that the "stress" being relieved is simply withdrawal symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think you need to consider that what your mind is interpreting as "mega stress reduction" seems to be something your body is interpreting as something different. It's your body's interpretation that really matters. If you have to force yourself to learn to listen to your body and give it what it needs, so be it.

A smoker may say that they smoke because it relieves stress. Anyone else can tell them that the "stress" being relieved is simply withdrawal symptoms.
    Touche...good reflection. The time in nature is priceless but the mode of travel is arbitrary. Moving slowly frequently is what I'm going to try. I'm like a crack addict. Perhaps one day my body will be ready to preforming at a high level again but right now I think it's time to let it go! Health is more important. Oh man, everyday is another chance to grow and learn. Thanks for the advice.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For me it's being outdoors, gardening or walking. Peacefully. And not thinking about how I could have burned more calories if I was running.

Swimming is very Zen to me, just front kroll counting to take breath. I had to break the habit of counting laps, after that things went swell.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think you might find a new kind of mental health benefit from lifting heavy if you are willing to try it. The rest of your life may be somewhat out of your control, or otherwise not making the kind of progress you'd like, but the weights have nice simple numbers on them and you write them down in your log and can see plain as day that yes, you are making real progress. Meanwhile, you can see it in the mirror and feel it when you go to pick something up. Also, you have license to eat more, or at least eat more protein-rich food, which is some of the best food anyway, and it only helps you instead of hurts you. Add a couple sessions of sprints (I do mine on an exercise bike) for your cardio each week. Takes only 15-20 minutes or so for sprints. Then if you have something coming up where you need to have that long slow endurance kind of fitness, take a couple weeks before the event to get your slow cardio in so you'll be ready.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast