Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for letting go of chronic cardio page 2

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for your kind suggestions. I just cancelled my gym membership and may give Crossfit another go in the fall after some rest. I uses to Crossfit years ago but found it really increased my stress and activated my sympathetic nervous system... Perhaps with another coach it could be a healthy way to stay balanced and strong.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    If you like being outside for its own sake, just walking for the equivalent time you would have run is fine. I would go as far as recommending not wearing shoes/clothing that you would be tempted to start running in, for a while. Maybe even just ride a bike at a mellow, enjoyable intensity and simply enjoy the outsideness of it all that way.

With PB, I've scaled my exercise way back to BW resistance and short jogs/sprints from long distance OTR bicycling. At 60 days in, now, I'm down 10 lb from 175 lb with reduced exercise. I can personally attest that Mark's 80/20 principle really does apply in PB.

Hope it all goes well for you.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    A smoker may say that they smoke because it relieves stress. Anyone else can tell them that the "stress" being relieved is simply withdrawal symptoms.
    Going to have to remember this one, I can use it at times for various family members.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Going to have to remember this one, I can use it at times for various family members.
    It is not uncommon for withdrawal symptoms for psychiatric drugs to be the same ones that the person originally took the drugs to deal with. Scary stuff, makes it very hard to quit drugs like that.

It is also true that people often self-medicate for mental health issues by taking illegal drugs as well as tobacco and alcohol.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    If I recall, wine of the nicer benefits of running is that it allows you to shed the mental stress of the day, which can be pretty therapeutic depending on your day job and how much of it you carry around after work. You might consider keeping the frequent runs and just dialing back the pace. Instead of working up a sweaty froth each run, stay in the aerobic zone (which is what Mark advocates by moving frequently at or below 70%. You might check out Phil Maffetone's blog and training guidance. If followed, you can have your daily run, processs through all of the stress or whatever, and not stress your system the way you might if you are grinding out hard run after hard run.

Cayenne is offline Junior Member
    2 activities that get me outdoors daily, that provide the rhythmic breathing and movement that kick start production of the endocanibinoids that I've got the Jones for yet don't drive my heart rate into chronic cardio danger zone are:

1) HeavyHands walking: i.e., pumping, swinging, dancing, skipping, lunging and plain walking etc., w/ dumbbells of varying weights. The custom handles from the big hair 80s are best IMO & IME, but can probably only be found in garage sales or time capsules at this point, so make do with regular dumbells.

2) Exerstrider poles (i.e., nordic walking.) Even though there are numerous brands, IMO & IME, Exerstriders are best. (When you have your rhythm it feels, to me, like swimming the crawl, even though you are obviously on dry land. ) With and without my WeightVest.com weight vest are other options.

I try to do either #1 or #2 above alternated w/ 1-3 relaxing jogs per week, so I get outdoors 5-7 morning per week. If, for some reason I just don't get outdoors, I either do movement/exercise in a pool or watch some TV while using my C2 rowing ergometer.

Hope these ideas help you formulate an approach that works great for you !

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't get enough exercise at all, because they sit on their butts. Realize that when Mark wrote about that, he was coming from the perspective of a guy who was competing. Most people don't even come near that, because they really aren't exercising at all. Thus, the idea of the whole "chronic cardio" lecture becomes unnecessary.

So I just don't think you should feel guilty about that, as long as it isn't hurting you. But for your health, I highly recommend A LOT of walking and other activities. If you really think you're overdoing it and it's hurting your health, cut back on your sessions. And if you still don't feel right because you're addicted to it, just do more walking. I highly doubt you'll ever be able to walk too much.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    My body is tired, I have adrenal fatigue (flat cortisol curve) & I'm amenorrheic... Id say damage done! Time to chill out and heal.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    That is eactly what you need right now. Forget about it all and just chill.

When you're better, look into something like MovNat. You won't realise what you're missing till you do it. I hate X-Fit with a passion now. Some people, especially those who come from thyroid problems, should not be doing this unless the progress is VERY gradual..y'know what they're like 3,2,1 go! It used to be great before they let a bunch of nerds take over and now the wod's are ultra complicated and all about times and PR's. Requires a 160 + iq to remember how many of what you're supposed to be doing. Get back outdoors and have fun - Featured Coach: Erwan Le Corre, Part 1 - The Roots of MovNat | Breaking Muscle

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    My body is tired, I have adrenal fatigue (flat cortisol curve) & I'm amenorrheic... Id say damage done! Time to chill out and heal.
    Well, that's another story. Overtraining?

That happened to me before when I was training for competition for powerlifting. Training was HARD. And after I got out of it, it really left a bad taste in my mouth about lifting for a few years. I couldn't train hard after that, not for a couple of years. I just couldn't get my mind into it. And even now, I can still train hard, but I know where my limit is, and I leave it at that.

I'd say just take it easy for a while. Train with medium intensity and only a few times per week. Try to have fun with your workouts and don't push yourself too hard, at least not until you get better. And on the side, just have fun, walk, play, etc..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast