Thread: The rape of the British countryside page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

The rape of the British countryside

Shop Now
    This from today's Sunday Telegraph is the latest summary of the damage likely to be caused by the British Government's projected new high-speed rail link. The Telegraph describes the likely impact as the plan to "tear up rural England":

More than 100 of Britain’s most important wildlife habitats and dozens of ancient woodlands will be directly affected ...

Official documents also disclose that hundreds of acres of green-belt land will be lost and more than 1,000 buildings are to be demolished. ...

[The figures] were buried in a mass of documents published without fanfare by the Department for Transport ...

Several sites of “special scientific interest” will be carved up by the train line, including Bogs Farm Quarry, near Selston, Notts, containing rare grassland rich in wildlife, and the River Mease in the Midlands, which is home to otters. ...

... In Nottinghamshire, the remains of the county’s only known Roman temple will be concreted over. At least 32 ancient woodlands that have existed since at least the time of Elizabeth I will also be affected.
    Visigoths.

Naturally, both our parties support this. (However, in fairness one should add that some former ministers, both Conservative and Labour, have now spoken up against the project.) The excuse for the the rail link is that it will be good for "growth" -- a sloganizing word that is supposed to excuse just about every bit of visigothery going these days. I'm not sure why, if business really does require people shooting from one end of the country to the other all the time -- and if an extra twenty minutes or so shaved off current rail times will make so much difference -- people don't fly. Or for the matter of that, in the age of the Internet, why can't these people discuss whatever they have to discuss over video-chat? The whole thing smells fishy. According to the latest projections in the Telegraph, it's all, in addition, likely to cost far far more than has been claimed.

Here's the link:

How HS2 will tear up rural England - Telegraph

Anyway ... let's take a moment to remember instead those who have valued the living things, and even the inanimate beauty, around them. Here's a cathedral choir singing a free translation of St. Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun:

All Creatures of our God and King (Lasst uns Erfreuen) - YouTube

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    ugh. they were trying to extend some motorway thru some ancient wood when i was last in england. '93ish? i read someone saying at the time that it was like building a road thru westminster abbey. i dont think they will ever give up.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Clearly we all need to start travelling in zeppelins.

M.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
    or ultralites....

Ultralight aviation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i'd have to google it but i am sure i saw some graves in an old church cemetery somewhere like suffolk of a whole stack of men who'd died when their zepplin got shot down or crashed in one of the wars so it may not be the way to go.

Planes also fall, trains also crash. Car's'll kill you too.

M.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Don't forget that horrid chemical Dihygrogen monoxide.

Yes, but we're on about vehicles.

M.