Thread: Calcium page

Gathwh is offline Senior Member

Calcium

Shop Now
    Tracking my calcium intake on fit-day I realized I was getting about 40% dietary calcium and I got scared. I just started taking calcium supplements (bicarbonate) and I've noted some improvement in dental health. Any research on this or anecdotal cases? btw I know Mr. Sisson poo-poos the food pyramid peoples calcium recommendations.

kristinjillian is offline Junior Member
    When it comes to calcium, what we really need to ensure is that we are taking in more calcium than we are excreting. There are cultures around the world (primarily hunter gatherers, I believe) who routinely consume less than 500 mg of calcium (perhaps even closer to 300 mg) per day. Yet, they do not have nearly the same rates of osteoporosis that we do in North America. Ironic, isn't it, that we have some of the highest calcium intake in the world and yet also some of the highest rates of osteoporosis? A large part of the reason for this is that North American diets tend to be very acid forming. When our bodies become too acid, the body is forced to leach alkaline minerals (e.g. calcium, magnesium, etc.) out of our bones, teeth, etc. in order to regulate body pH. Although meats are uniformely regarded as acid forming, most vegetables and fruits are highly alkaline forming. As such, as long as you are eating enough veggies (which tends to be richer in calcium than fruit), you are very likely maintaining a healthy alkaline balance.

One of the best ways to test how well your body is likely to be absorbing and/or excreting calcium is to pick up some pH strips and test the acidity/alkalinity of your urine. This will give you a better idea of how well your body is likely to be absorbing the minerals that it is currently getting. If you are too acidic, then I would recommend tweeking your diet to make it more alkaline. If you are appropriately alkaline, then you will simply have to decide how important it is to you to supplement with calcium. There seem to be sound arguments both for and against calcium supplementation. I think that the decision to supplement or not is a choice that only you can make. If you do choose to supplement, I would recommend that you get a supplement with the highest possible absorption. Too much poorly absorbed calcium can cause problems in the body. The higher the absorption, the more likely it is that you will get as many benefits as possible with as few side effects as possible. I have only just discovered it, but EZorb looks like a really good one. AlgaeCal and New Chapter Bone Strength are a couple of the other high quality options that I am familiar with.

Here is a like that talks a bit more about Calcium and Bone Health:
    http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Calcium

I hope that helps. ;^)

kristinjillian is offline Junior Member
    You ought to be able to find pH strips at your local health food store. If you are in Canada, I know that Genuine Health (the Greens+ people), among others, distribute them.

Michaelq is offline Junior Member
    calcium is much better for the bones and it makes the bones strong and builds the muscles strong so the minimum level of calcium in every human should be the 10-15.

Brentwood Fitness Center
    Last edited by Michaelq; 03-17-2012 at 04:38 AM.
    Michaelq

activia is offline Senior Member
    I would be careful about calcium supplementation. I just found out recently that if taken separately without other nutrients, or in the right package, that calcium can actually cause calcification in your brain/heart/blood vessels/other organs.. bad bad bad.

Instead of supplementing with calcium, you should supplement with magnesium which increases calcium absorption in your bones.

The problem with the SAD diet is calcium absorption not calcium quantity. Due to grains and many other factors..
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Here is another supplement that is suppose to help with your teeth, not only to prevent tooth decay but to reverse it..oh and it has no calcium in it..

Magnesium, this one, and maybe an additional Vit D, and maybe iodine if you are deficient are the only supplements I see necessary.
    Amazon.com: Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend - Capsules: Health & Personal Care
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs