Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Skin Firming Lotion (If It Exists)? page

trekfan is offline Senior Member

Best Skin Firming Lotion (If It Exists)?

Primal Fuel
    All righty, a question for the wise folks of the forums. I lost a lot of weight last summer and the past year I've been attempting to combat the dreaded loose skin with various forms of exercises, with little success. I'm doing Pilates now to help strengthen my core and get toned up, hoping that maybe the loose skin might tighten up with this.

But I'm not convinced the Pilates will work. I do enjoy it a lot, however.

That said, a friend of my suggested looking into skin firming lotions, something that can be applied and help my loose skin heal up/recover, if that's possible at this point. My initial research has revealed a number of "skin firming lotions" that are also moisturizers. Thing is, it seems that they're awesome moisturizers but don't really do much "skin firming" according to the reviews I'm reading.

So, I come to you wise folks of the forums ... have any of you come across any skin firming lotions that actually work OR is this a myth perpetrated by the makers of such things just to get them to sell?
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

I would look on pharmacy brands, they are more expensive, but they have stronger formula. Also search this forum for "body brushing", there are few threads and ppl have great results with it. Personally, I'm using coconut oil or cream with Q10 (by Nivea, not sure, if you can get this in your neck of the woods). Also homemade peeling from ground coffee or cinnamon (with oil and sugar or salt) is great.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
    iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    If you are thinking supplements, MSM is meant to be good, do not know much about it but others have talked about it.
    There is lots of CoQ10 in beef heart, I fry mine up with Moroccan / Middle East spices, delicious.
    Gelatin is meant to be good for the skin as well.
    Life. Be in it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I'm a cosmetics/skincare whore and I have read little to no evidence that these things work. Even if they offer a slight, slight improvement, it's just not worth it to spend months and months and hundreds of dollars on some overpriced cream.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm skeptical of those skin firming creams as well...

I've been doing the dry brushing on and off for a few months, and it definitely improves skin tone. If I was you, I'd do that twice a day, and also try salt baths (as often as possible), and lemon baths. If you can fork out, try clay baths and seaweed wraps (don't know if these last work, but I've heard good things).
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    wowowowow!!! amazing weight loss and determination!!!!!

sorry, but i seriously doubt anything is going to firm your skin from the outside. i know there are some products that may provide slight AND temporary tightening, but i wouldn't waste my money.

keep well-hydrated and eat a whole healthy diet, with lots of seafood and organ meats.

continue with pilates and yoga-type stuff, to firm up from the inside, where your skin starts.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

momrn is offline Member
    No cream has worked, but I second the dry brushing and salt/soda baths. It helps along with a diet rich i healthy fats and good hydration. That makes a difference for me and feels so lovely. I had my eyebrows threaded yesterday and the girl called my middle-aged skin glowing.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    wowowowow!!! amazing weight loss and determination!!!!!

sorry, but i seriously doubt anything is going to firm your skin from the outside. i know there are some products that may provide slight AND temporary tightening, but i wouldn't waste my money.

keep well-hydrated and eat a whole healthy diet, with lots of seafood and organ meats.

continue with pilates and yoga-type stuff, to firm up from the inside, where your skin starts.
    Yeah, Trekfan, I hope you really realize just how awesome your accomplishment is.
    Agreed with noodletoy. Topical stuff is a waste of time and money. Work on firming from the inside.
    I would add that making sure there is lots of collagen in your diet might help (bone broths cooked until ligaments and tendons liquify).

You have the advantage of still being young. Your skin has more elasticity than an older person but you have still changed body size very dramatically in a very short time. Your skin will catch up but it will take some time. So drink your bone broth, do planks, and try to be patient.

OldFarmer is offline Junior Member
    Chiming in with the PPs, here, trekfan. That's an amazing accomplishment. You should revel in it.

I lost around 100 pounds a few years ago and I second Paleobird, time is on your side. First, you're young while losing it in the first place (I was older and had been obese since 4th grade); second, maintain your health, strength and weight loss and your skin will recover some over time. The more time, the less you'll see wrinkly bits and pleats. Keep strong and feed yourself well.

It might not be perfect. There will be stretch marks, and the "corners" are still the worst areas for me, but I must say one thing that helped me enormously has been living beachside. No, not the time in the sea, or the sun, or the exercise in sand. Rather, daily exposure to many, many bodies. My imperfect skin is still so much better to live in than when it housed all that extra fat.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks noddletoy, Paleo Bird, and oldfamer for the compliments. People continue to tell me its an amazing accomplishment ... it hasn't quite sunk in.

So, what I'm getting here, as far as general consensus goes, is that the "skin firming lotions" are more a myth than an actuality. That was my feeling. I've looked into dry brushing before but didn't commit. Didn't really want to add in yet another thing to do. However, seeing as it's been a year at this, it can't hurt to try now.

I definitely need to up my intake of bone broths and such. Really don't do broths at all. I tend to stick to the meats and veggies. And cheese. I love me some cheese.

Thanks all for the comments. If you have any other thoughts, let me know. Knowledge is power
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast