Thread: Greetings and salutations, but mostly just greetings.

Cool Greetings and salutations, but mostly just greetings.

Shop Now
    Howdy,

I'm Mikey and I've been reading some of the MDA posts for the last few months, and recently bought the 21 day transformation book and have been reading that and decided to join the forum.

I've been on Dave Asprey's Bulletproof Exec Intermittent Fasting for the last 5 or 6 months with great success, but I am looking to transition into a wider paleo lifestyle, which I've started adopting this week, and which is why I have bought the book.

7 months ago I weighed about 260 pounds, and now I weigh about 187 pounds. I kicked off my life change by doing a 4 day water-only fast, which ended up stretching out to 21 days. I lost half of the total weight I lost in that time. After that I went raw vegan for 2 or 3 weeks, and then upon seeing Dave Asprey on the Joe Rogan podcast, I - having been keen to try his diet in the past - decided that there was no time like the present, and the rest is recent history.

My main interest is not losing weight, but rather maintaining it on a wider diet. I would also like to get my body fat down below 10%, it's currently at between 13% and 16% depending on how my scale feels, but if my ultimate gene expression is to be at this body fat % then so be it.

I recently read Doug McGuff's book Body by Science and started (yesterday) a High Intensity Training work out using 4 of the Big 5 exercises he recommends. I plan to do this once a week.

I also have a girlfriend who for the last 3 months has also been on the Bulletproof IF with me, but hasn't seen such good results. She has an Asian background and perhaps is not as suited to such a high fat/low grain lifestyle, so I'm also interested to hear from any Asian people as what to what their experience has been; and whether or not I can rule out her heritage. Either way I'm hoping a wider paleo diet might help her to find the balance she needs.

So, hello!

I look forward to interacting with you.

Thanks,
    Mikey

Welcome!

My boyfriend is half-Asian. I have been feeding him mostly primal, but he also eats a fair amount of corn chips and drink some soda. He hasn't lost weight or leaned up. I estimate his body fat at about 23%. He eats 2 meals a day. When he was eating 3 meals a day his body fat was around 27%. He is not committed to exercise. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Welcome!

My boyfriend is half-Asian. I have been feeding him mostly primal, but he also eats a fair amount of corn chips and drink some soda. He hasn't lost weight or leaned up. I estimate his body fat at about 23%. He eats 2 meals a day. When he was eating 3 meals a day his body fat was around 27%. He is not committed to exercise. Oh, well.
    Thanks eKatherine!

I eat 2 meals a day too, and am seeing some weight gain (which I'm ok with) on the scale. The scale is also reporting an increase in body fat, which I'm not ok with. I assume it's wrong though, but today it registered 18% which is higher than it's been in the last 3 months. The only change I made was switching to eating breakfast instead of drinking bulletproof coffee and re-introducing nightshades and onions and garlic.

I've been eating too many cashew nuts too. I'll try cut them down and see how I go with that.

As for my gf, she has been pretty strict but might be having some hormonal issues that are preventing her from losing body weight, so we're gonna do a 24 hour saliva cortisol test and take it from there.

I just wanted to know if Asians were known to not do so well on paleo style diets, but I can research that myself a bit more. It's good that your boyfriend has lost some body fat though! That's more important to me than weight.

Cheers!
    Mikey

Welcome Mikey! Here's Mark's primal shopping list, which may help you out. Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple

You can tract your micronutrients on paleotrack.com which is free and very easy. With both these combined you should be able to maintain or loose weight as you wish.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Thanks, I'm using MyFitnessPal to track my food already, but I'll check paleo track out.

Sent from my HTC One using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

One issue you may be facing is women seem less likely to do as well on IF. It may be that she is find on primal, just not on IF.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Shop Now
    She certainly feels better on the primal than she did on the IF. Also as the butter and mct oil would get to her stomach. She loves breakfast though now. We'll see how she goes.

Sent from my HTC One using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app