Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much protein do we really need? page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

How much protein do we really need?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site but not to low carb. I am just trying to figure out how much protein/carbs I should really be eating. I was under the impression that this plan was supposed to be high fat and low to moderate protein but it seems like from the posts I have read, that a lot of people are consuming a lot of protein. I am 47, female, 5'4, 125 pounds. For exercise, I walk a lot, use a mini-trampoline for 20-40 mins at least 3x/week and hike on the weekends. I do want to add in sprints and super slow strength training a few times a week but that hasn't happened yet. I have no major health problems and my main goals are to have more energy, remain healthy into old age, and prevent major illnesses. I wouldn't mind losing 10 pounds but it isn't a priority.

For the last two months, I have been following a VERY low carb diet which I am sure has put me into ketosis and have been doing intermittent fasting and only eating between 12 and 8. I have been feeling very fatigued, have had trouble sleeping, am NEVER hungry and have felt very heavy, sluggish and weighed down on the VLC so I have decided to add more carbs back in like sweet potatoes, squash, artichokes and berries. I feel like the intermittent fasting has been good so I am going to continue that but don't like the way I have felt on VLC and I feel like I should have adjusted to it by now, it has been 2 months.

Today is the first day that I have tried adding more carbs back in. I ate around 12:00 I had some goat cheese, 1/2 cup raw fermented sauerkraut, 1/2 avocado and 1 cup of blackberries (I usually have some kind of meat or fish at lunch but didn't have time to cook anything) and 16 ounces of Kombucha (homemade and VLC). Around 1:30 I had a large VLC paleo brownie and some decaf green tea. I am going to go out to dinner around 7:00 tonight and will have some kind of meat or fish plus steamed vegetables and possibly a salad.

My questions are how many grams of protein/carbs should I really be eating for my size and situation? Thanks so much for your help.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Carb intake is highly individual and something that you just have to play with. Same with fat intake.

Protein recommendations in the standard American diet is too low. However, some people unnecessarily consume too much protein. It really depends on your goal. If you're trying to lose fat, keep the protein a bit higher than normal in order to increase satiety and retain lean body mass.

If you're just maintaining, for a women your size I would say around 100 grams of protein would be great. A bit higher or a bit lower won't make a big difference. Honestly, just play with the numbers a bit and find what fits your preferences.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When all is said and done, eat lots of meat and you'll get all your protein and most, if not all of your fat. If because of circumstance, you must eat CAFO meat, and so buy lean, guzzle or cook in some coconut oil and/or butter/olive oil for your fat. Carbs will take care of themselves. Unless you're treating eating like a chore, there will be some days when you eat a lot of carbs, and some days when you eat almost none, and everything in between.

Conscious restriction of carbs is okay, but except for some specific situations isn't necessary unless you're used to eating 60+% of your calories from carbs. In that case, you should probably track them until you understand what a healthy level is.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'm a total aspie and definitely feel and live better on higher protein. I ate three pounds one day, felt full but fine. Mostly I'm high fat, high-protein, variable carbs with low or no starch. It's been awesome. 50 pounds gone, feel like a million bucks most days.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I am taking 1 gram per kilogram plus 10%. I'm in ketosis though so I am taking in alot of healthy fats.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I would say: enough to maintain your lean mass, more if you work out a lot. Your body knows better and the art is in knowing how to listen to it ... I have never really counted my intake but I suspect it is quite high lately.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Today is the first day that I have tried adding more carbs back in. I ate around 12:00 I had some goat cheese, 1/2 cup raw fermented sauerkraut, 1/2 avocado and 1 cup of blackberries (I usually have some kind of meat or fish at lunch but didn't have time to cook anything) and 16 ounces of Kombucha (homemade and VLC). Around 1:30 I had a large VLC paleo brownie and some decaf green tea. I am going to go out to dinner around 7:00 tonight and will have some kind of meat or fish plus steamed vegetables and possibly a salad.

My questions are how many grams of protein/carbs should I really be eating for my size and situation? Thanks so much for your help.
    as others have said, it's variable, but on this menu you've had hardly any. i'd be starving. instead of a "paleo brownie" have some hard-boiled eggs or a tin of sardines or something.

are you purposely keeping protein extremely low?

were you also doing on this on vlc? even a 16 oz ribeye for dinner is only about 80 gms of protein. i certainly could not eat that much at a sitting. ( i KNOW plenty of guys on here can, lol.) am 5'2" and 49 and i usually have between 80-100 gms protein per day. it's the most sating of the macros, don't skimp.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 07-21-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I'm kind of unsure how much protein i should be getting. I just try to make sure to have a decent amount at meal times. The only times I've felt like I might have had a bit is when I eat a rather large steak.

Btw, what is a paleo brownie or should I just google it? I haven't delved into the realm of cooking weird versions of normal things yet.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I'm kind of unsure how much protein i should be getting. I just try to make sure to have a decent amount at meal times. The only times I've felt like I might have had a bit is when I eat a rather large steak.

Btw, what is a paleo brownie or should I just google it? I haven't delved into the realm of cooking weird versions of normal things yet.
    mark, and every other health guru, has formulas for protein ranges. use your google-fu if you are concerned.

the internetz is full of all sorts of paleo (fail-eo) treats. individually the ingredients are mostly fine, but baked in a pan it's a big calorie bomb, with scant nutrition.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    We can adapt to a wide range of intake and most people have a pretty trustworthy appetite for it. Anything under 10% of TDEE (~50g) is probably deficient. Over 30% (~150g) would probably be unpleasant.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast