Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a question for those who have done the potato hack? page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

I have a question for those who have done the potato hack?

Primal Fuel
    I apologize for yet another thread, but Im going to assume that those who are annoyed by yet another potato thread, will just skip over this one

I have a question only for those who have done the potato hack for more than 1 day. I am almost done with my 6th day of the potato hack. The past 6 days, I have ingested nothing but regular potatoes, a cup of black tea a day, and vitamins which dissolve in water(these vitamins contain minimal calories, but do have artificial sweeteners). I have been eating microwaved and oven baked potatoes with the peel.

I am a very active 20 year old female who is 5'1 and about 135 pounds. I would like to get down to at least 130, but better yet 125. I work at a martial arts school, and so I am probably doing about 2 hours of heavy cardio and body weight training a day, plus standing and walking around for 6 hours a day. I am eating about 4 pounds of potato per day. I am not stuffing myself, but I am eating to satiety. I'm eating around 1500 calories worth of potatoes a day. This is only about 200 calories less than I would be eating on a normal primal diet.

It's been 6 days, and I haven't noticed much at all in terms of weight loss. I've been hovering around 135 the past 6 days. I've read thought the potato hack threads on this site, and most people lose 0.5-1 lb a day... I have not really lost much. Maybe one pound. I feel great on this diet. I don't have a headache, and I'm not craving other things. But, what about the weight loss? Will that still come? Should I quit this hack, or keep at it for a few more days?

diene is offline Senior Member
    I've done the potato hack and lost weight on it but was unable to keep the weight off. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure it was mostly water weight due to eating at a deficit for a few days. I think the reason it works is because eating only potatoes causes most people to eat at a caloric deficit. Since you're not eating at much of a deficit, it may not work for you. But I'm no expert at this.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

otzi Guest
    Generally, people end up eating about 50% of normal calories and get big losses. If you are barely at deficit, you will see very slow loss. That said, it's also not advisable to be doing lots of exercise during the potato diet. 2 hours of cardio and weight training per day needs lots of food. I would not do potato diet under those circumstances. If you ever do a de-load week, think about it then and try to eat about 2 pounds a day.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read the details on this "hack", but it sounds bit like the cabbage soup diet.

Weight loss will occur but its due to less calories of coarse.

Deficiencies of macro and micro nutrients will also occur if done too long.

Unless its followed by a corrected lifestyle then weight will come back IMO.

otzi Guest
    All true statements. The only redeeming qualities of the potato is the potato itself. A good source of quality protein and very high in satiety indexes. Also, it has been speculated that the big insulin spike that occurs each time you eat helps restore insulin sensitivity and the huge calorie deficit creates a state of ketosis. Yes, you could just eat cabbage soup or some other low calorie food, but potato works on many different levels, IMO.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I do appreciate hearing your critiques of this hack. I've been having an extremely tough time losing the last 10 pounds. I will go at this for a few more days, but if I don't see any loss soon, then I'll stop this.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I do appreciate hearing your critiques of this hack. I've been having an extremely tough time losing the last 10 pounds. I will go at this for a few more days, but if I don't see any loss soon, then I'll stop this.
    IMO the potato hack is the perfect strategy to lose the last 10, but it has to be combined with low activity and a bit of hunger.

I used it, heck--pretty much invented it!--3 or 4 times last year to experiment and to lose my 'last 10'. Once you see how easy it is to lose 10 pounds of fat, you'll feel like a fool for trying so hard with other hacks (Primal Blueprint included!).

The secret to it's success for me was 'no other foods allowed'. A bit of ketchup and spices are OK as long as they are sparingly applied and don't contribute to the calorie load in any significant way. If I decide to do this again, which I may this fall as I approach my winter 'cutting' season, here's how I will proceed:

1. Buy 35 pounds of the best quality, organic/local/homegrown potatoes available. Bonus points for purple-fleshed varieties added in the mix.

2. Weigh and cook 10 pounds of smallish potatoes, cool and store in ziplock bags in the fridge. These are snacks and quick lunches.

3. Skip breakfast every day.

4. First meal of the day should be about 1/2 to 1 pound of the cold potatoes--cold or reheated, eaten very plainly, maybe just a bit of salt.

5. Second meal of the day can be more elaborately prepared spuds: dry fried hash browns, skillet potatoes, oven roasted, baked, mashed (no butter/milk), hash-brown-in-a-waffle-maker. Your imagination is your limit. Eat 1-2 pounds at this meal.

6. If a snack is needed at any time, munch a small cold potato.

7. Repeat for 7-14 days. Some folks have successfully cycled this in 2 days a week, but I say why prolong the pain? Just. Do. It.

I found the weight lost is mostly fat, and I usually lose 2-3 more pounds in the week after. You will regain it all if you overeat, but if you adjust your diet accordingly it's easy to keep it off. I made the mistake of using it to get to an unmaintainable level of leanness, but it is a good trick to lose fat fast--the rest of your life is up to you! I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it is not water weight that comes back in 2 days like you get with a 48 hour fast.

Knowing how well the potato hack works for me made me very adventurous in eating this year. I added back lots of carbs from fruit and starch that I had been avoiding for years. I knew if they lead to insidious weight gain, I could just hack them off with potatoes. Luckily, they didn't lead to a fatter me--in fact, adding in a pound or more of potatoes/rice/fruit per day has kept my weight very stable and allowed me to progress to new heights in strength. After my last 'hack' around New Years, I was about 162 pounds--which was about 10 pounds below my original goal weight (came down from 250!). Since then, I have 'ballooned' up to 173, but waist stayed with 1/2 inch and clothes still fit very well. At 162, lots of people commented on my gaunt appearance. After that, I focused on eating lots of healthy food and upping my workouts, quite a difference from previous years trying to work out more and eat less--that is always a mistake, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    IMO the potato hack is the perfect strategy to lose the last 10, but it has to be combined with low activity and a bit of hunger.

I used it, heck--pretty much invented it!--3 or 4 times last year to experiment and to lose my 'last 10'. Once you see how easy it is to lose 10 pounds of fat, you'll feel like a fool for trying so hard with other hacks (Primal Blueprint included!).

The secret to it's success for me was 'no other foods allowed'. A bit of ketchup and spices are OK as long as they are sparingly applied and don't contribute to the calorie load in any significant way. If I decide to do this again, which I may this fall as I approach my winter 'cutting' season, here's how I will proceed:

1. Buy 35 pounds of the best quality, organic/local/homegrown potatoes available. Bonus points for purple-fleshed varieties added in the mix.

2. Weigh and cook 10 pounds of smallish potatoes, cool and store in ziplock bags in the fridge. These are snacks and quick lunches.

3. Skip breakfast every day.

4. First meal of the day should be about 1/2 to 1 pound of the cold potatoes--cold or reheated, eaten very plainly, maybe just a bit of salt.

5. Second meal of the day can be more elaborately prepared spuds: dry fried hash browns, skillet potatoes, oven roasted, baked, mashed (no butter/milk), hash-brown-in-a-waffle-maker. Your imagination is your limit. Eat 1-2 pounds at this meal.

6. If a snack is needed at any time, munch a small cold potato.

7. Repeat for 7-14 days. Some folks have successfully cycled this in 2 days a week, but I say why prolong the pain? Just. Do. It.

I found the weight lost is mostly fat, and I usually lose 2-3 more pounds in the week after. You will regain it all if you overeat, but if you adjust your diet accordingly it's easy to keep it off. I made the mistake of using it to get to an unmaintainable level of leanness, but it is a good trick to lose fat fast--the rest of your life is up to you! I think you will be pleasantly surprised that it is not water weight that comes back in 2 days like you get with a 48 hour fast.

Knowing how well the potato hack works for me made me very adventurous in eating this year. I added back lots of carbs from fruit and starch that I had been avoiding for years. I knew if they lead to insidious weight gain, I could just hack them off with potatoes. Luckily, they didn't lead to a fatter me--in fact, adding in a pound or more of potatoes/rice/fruit per day has kept my weight very stable and allowed me to progress to new heights in strength. After my last 'hack' around New Years, I was about 162 pounds--which was about 10 pounds below my original goal weight (came down from 250!). Since then, I have 'ballooned' up to 173, but waist stayed with 1/2 inch and clothes still fit very well. At 162, lots of people commented on my gaunt appearance. After that, I focused on eating lots of healthy food and upping my workouts, quite a difference from previous years trying to work out more and eat less--that is always a mistake, I believe.
    Thanks for responding, otzi! I knew you were the one who pretty much brought this hack to "fame" within the pb forum. I had read through the previous forums, and I'm surprised at how well it works. I have tried other fasting methods such as bone broth. The bone broth I make myself has a lot of fat and calories in it, but I was only able to complete the fast for 2 days. However, with this potato fast, hunger has not been a problem. It's my 7th day now, and for the past week I have been eating pure potatoes either baked whole or microwaved whole with a bit of salt. No ketchup or anything. Not even any vinegar. I'm starting to get bored with it, so what I've been doing today is cutting them into strips(like french fries) and baking them I'm the oven on a nonstick baking sheet. Afterwards, I spray them with a LITTLE of oil(probably 1/3 teaspoon) and I put garlic powder on them. They taste exactly like french fries. I could literally live off of french fries, so this new method of cooking the taters should definitely keep me entertained for at least another 2-3 days.

I stepped on the scale this morning and I did see a 2 pound weight loss. So we'll see how much more weight loss I can squeeze out of this. I don't need to lose a ton of weight(10-15 pounds maximum) and so that's probably why it's been difficult for me to lose the weight. Plus, I'm a female, and my body loves holding on to water weight.

Also, I'm speculating that my slow weight loss on this hack may be due to the high activity level I have. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't heavy exercise cause the body to retain water weight? Unfortunately, I can't stop the exercise since it is part of my job. But, I wouldn't want to stop it anyway because I do enjoy it a lot. It's a huge part of my play. I never push myself past what I want to do. For example, today is Sunday. Usually I would be outside running or doing some body weight exercises. But I felt lazy when I woke up. So I'm literally just laying around today haha. My point is that I only exercise because I want to.

Otzi, do you have any recommendations for how to ease back into eating a normal, non potato diet again? Once I am done with the hack, I was thinking that I should ease into a normal diet by eating lightly the next day. Maybe some eggs, fruit, soup, or other easily digestible foods. What do you think? And also, how long do you do the potato hack for?

Paleobird Guest
    If you are going to do a mono-food "hack", I would thing that this one : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90418.html
    would give you more balanced nutrition.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If you are going to do a mono-food "hack", I would thing that this one : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90418.html
    would give you more balanced nutrition.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I have actually kept up with their blog, and it seems very interesting. The only thing is that I don't think I would be able to stomach all of those eggs. I love eggs(especially fried with lots of oil), but for some reason, I just don't do well on low carb. I get very irritable(I am diagnosed with depression and panic disorder), my energy level is zapped, and I feel hungry all day long with a vlc diet. Maybe my body is just built differently.. But I can't seem to handle low carb.

I can eat eggs all day, but they would have to be paired with some sort of fruit or starchy vegetable such as potatoes or squash. I'm going to continue this potato thing until Im fed up with it. It's been 7 days, and my goal is to try to get 2 more days done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast