Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a question for those who have done the potato hack? page 2

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I would argue that the egg diet isn't more nutritious, but just has a different set of nutrients, even on compounds we don't know much about yet.

I would just take this to a YMMV approach and look at how each affects you. My own experience is that potatoes make me lose water weight, muscle, and fat quickly and makes me lose capabilities in the gym and gives me an overall muscle energy drain. But a potato-heavy diet with basic vegetables and lean meats helps me not feel like crap at all and can allow me the energy to do the things I like without losing muscle. FYI I also do terribly on high-fat.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion! I have actually kept up with their blog, and it seems very interesting. The only thing is that I don't think I would be able to stomach all of those eggs. I love eggs(especially fried with lots of oil), but for some reason, I just don't do well on low carb. I get very irritable(I am diagnosed with depression and panic disorder), my energy level is zapped, and I feel hungry all day long with a vlc diet. Maybe my body is just built differently.. But I can't seem to handle low carb.

I can eat eggs all day, but they would have to be paired with some sort of fruit or starchy vegetable such as potatoes or squash. I'm going to continue this potato thing until Im fed up with it. It's been 7 days, and my goal is to try to get 2 more days done.
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I would argue that the egg diet isn't more nutritious, but just has a different set of nutrients, even on compounds we don't know much about yet.

I would just take this to a YMMV approach and look at how each affects you. My own experience is that potatoes make me lose water weight, muscle, and fat quickly and makes me lose capabilities in the gym and gives me an overall muscle energy drain. But a potato-heavy diet with basic vegetables and lean meats helps me not feel like crap at all and can allow me the energy to do the things I like without losing muscle. FYI I also do terribly on high-fat.
    Sure, it's YMMV with a dash of personal preferences thrown in. I thrive on VLC.

But if you stacked say 1500 calories worth of eggs up against 1500 calories worth of potatoes, I think you would be getting better overall nutrition from the eggs.

But since it's only a hack, it doesn't really matter. Nobody is going to eat only one or the other forever.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Otzi, do you have any recommendations for how to ease back into eating a normal, non potato diet again? Once I am done with the hack, I was thinking that I should ease into a normal diet by eating lightly the next day. Maybe some eggs, fruit, soup, or other easily digestible foods. What do you think? And also, how long do you do the potato hack for?
    I try to get some introspective (is that a word?) when doing the potato hack--what have I been eating that I could cut with no problem? What should I eat more of? Do I really need 8 pieces of bacon? That sort of thing. The hardest part about losing weight is the mental realization that your new norm needs to be LESS. Sorry if that didn't answer your question.

When finishing up, just eat normally--and consider keeping taters in your day!

I've done the potato hack maybe 4 times in a 6 mo period last fall and winter. Twice to lose some fat, twice to play with it. I haven't done it since Jan and have no real plans to repeat, but I may do it again for 2 weeks this fall when I dig potatoes in my garden just for the heck of it and to lose a few pounds of watermelon and sweet corn that are hiding under my belt!

People were worried this would turn people into yo-yo'ers, but I think it has the opposite effect!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sure, it's YMMV with a dash of personal preferences thrown in. I thrive on VLC.

But if you stacked say 1500 calories worth of eggs up against 1500 calories worth of potatoes, I think you would be getting better overall nutrition from the eggs.

But since it's only a hack, it doesn't really matter. Nobody is going to eat only one or the other forever.
    Fair enough. I respect your n=1

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Well, I just had some really yummy fries! I cut up potatoes into fries, and baked them dry in an oven until crispy. Then I sprayed a little of oil on them and used garlic powder and salt. Seriously, I feel like I'm eating McDonald's French fries..

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted. At the beginning of the hack I was around 135-137(weight fluctuations) and now I am 133. So, we'll see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12