Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit + Fat is a good idea? page

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member

Question Fruit + Fat is a good idea?

Primal Fuel
    I've been trying to avoid mixing fruits with foods rich in fats and/or protein to make sure that there was no insulin spike of any sort. But as most fruits theoretically have low GI (50 is low right?) then is there a problem with eating a delicious dish with lots of meat and olive oil and then eating a couple of apricots?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    This is not something you should be worrying about.

You can eat fruit by itself if you want. Thinking about insulin spikes is ridiculous, unless you have a tendency to go hypoglycemic.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    eat the delicious foods, it's okay
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    is there a problem with eating a delicious dish with lots of meat and olive oil and then eating a couple of apricots?
    Not at all, the total glucose content in a piece of fruit is pretty low. If you ate enough fruit for the glucose to become a problem then you've already taken in a much more worrying quantity of fructose. But a couple of apricots is neither.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Not at all, the total glucose content in a piece of fruit is pretty low. If you ate enough fruit for the glucose to become a problem then you've already taken in a much more worrying quantity of fructose. But a couple of apricots is neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    This is not something you should be worrying about.

You can eat fruit by itself if you want. Thinking about insulin spikes is ridiculous, unless you have a tendency to go hypoglycemic.
    I just want to stay out of ketosis and eat strictly one-meal-a-day and no more, so if the idea was to eat around 8 apricots (or equivalent) and lots of meat and olive oil and vegetables in the same meal... Are you sure that I shouldn't worry about insulin spikes? What amount of fruit is enough to spike insulin up to the point of absorbing fats and protein?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    There's no reason to worry about insulin spikes. They are a normal physiological function.

I think you're quite confused. I would read this series of articles on insulin and understand that insulin does not automatically equal fat gain:

Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation Weightology Weekly
    Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 2 Weightology Weekly
    Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

Also, protein spikes insulin as well, not just sugar. There's no reason to fear insulin.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Are you aiming to lose weight?

One way to test is to eat the fruit and meat and see whether you are still getting the results you want - one thing for sure is that its going to be better than eating flour and sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    There's no reason to worry about insulin spikes. They are a normal physiological function.

I think you're quite confused. I would read this series of articles on insulin and understand that insulin does not automatically equal fat gain:

Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation Weightology Weekly
    Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 2 Weightology Weekly
    Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

Also, protein spikes insulin as well, not just sugar. There's no reason to fear insulin.
    OK, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Are you aiming to lose weight?

One way to test is to eat the fruit and meat and see whether you are still getting the results you want - one thing for sure is that its going to be better than eating flour and sugar.
    Losing weight? I'm really thin now, I just want to stay the way I am and to be guarantee that any weight I gain is muscle. And as I don't see any sort of results I don't think I can do the experiment

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Miguel if I recall correctly you are fairly young, why are you eating one meal a day? Are you not hungry? If you are hungry then eat, eat primal foods. Run around, use your body, learn to listen to it and trust it, don't try and control it too much.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

peril is offline Senior Member
    There is absolutely no issue with you eating one meal per day and including a pile of fruit in that meal so long as you are getting adequate nutrition, including energy. Enjoy
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast