Thread: Introduction and questions about food textures page

Lisanevada is offline Junior Member

Introduction and questions about food textures

Hi all. My name is Lisa. My biggest health issue was exhaustion. Paralyzing exhaustion. My doctor (who i trust) suggested i cut out the freaky five (bread, corn, potatoes, pasta, rice) completely and concentrate on animal protein and green veggies. Mid day snacks are limited to oranges or apples. No dairy. No legumes.

Three days in, I am already feeling less tired (good news) but I am already bored with my diet. Mostly, because nothing crunches. I *love* crunchy food.

I bought some kale chips this morning which helped and I am adding pork rinds to my shopping list.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much. I know my diet guidelines are a bit stricter than what is suggested here on MDA but I really like the supportive tone of the message boards.

Lisa

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    We give PB answers generally. Are you going on PB? I can't help with your doctors plan. Have you read "The Primal Blueprint"?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    celery crunches and is good for adding crispness -fill the groove with food, iceberg lettuce is also crispy and is good as a wrap, you could i guess look at vegetable crisps- i dont like them. baked chicken wings are crispy,pork rinds youve already found- that's my nibble of choice.
    ultimately though boredom isn't such a big price to pay to feel better.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Can you have sweet potatoes? They aren't in the same nightshade family of plants as regular potatoes are, but they are still a starch. If you can have them, they transform into some really yummy (and vitamin-filled), crunchy chips when baked in the oven. I also really miss crunchy things...

Oh! Do you like fried/baked cheese? I've never cared for it, but most of the people in my family love it, as well as peperoni that crisps up in the oven. Whole Foods (at least where I live) has some--dried?--crunchy cheese snacks that's just cheese. I've never actually bought them (thus I don't know exactly what they're called), but they were really good as samples....

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisanevada View Post
    Hi all. My name is Lisa. My biggest health issue was exhaustion. Paralyzing exhaustion. My doctor (who i trust) suggested i cut out the freaky five (bread, corn, potatoes, pasta, rice) completely and concentrate on animal protein and green veggies. Mid day snacks are limited to oranges or apples. No dairy. No legumes.

Wow, you have a great doctor! Most would have just sent you on your way with a prescription for some pill or other...

Bacon cooked till its crispy is crunchy.

Lay out slices of prosciutto ham (or where I live jamón serrano) on a baking pan lined with cooking parchment. Bake in a hot oven till they're crispy. Tastes a lot like bacon.

Grok on.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Lisa, I'm glad you're starting to feel better already.

Celery was my first thought, too. Carrot sticks also crunch, you can make a dip from steamed and mashed parsnip with coconut cream and ginger. It's delish.

Meat and veg, only a little fruit is pretty close to primal blueprint, but like you say, quite a bit more restrictive. I hope it helps a lot. Apples should crunch.