Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Want to improve body comp - advice?

Threaded View

Want to improve body comp - advice?

I'm 31, female, 5'8, and weigh about 140 lbs. I'm not in terrible shape, but I'm about 23% bf and I'd like to be 19-20%.

I've tried every woe, and only an extreme calorie deficit has any effect on my body. A small deficit does sweet F-A for fat loss, but has a huge impact on my energy, sleep, mood etc. I currently eat 2-3K cals a day, don't neglect any macros, and feel great, so I don't want to fuck with that.

I've been consistently inconsistent with exercise (apart from Yoga, which is a different kettle of fish) but it was largely due to a health problem which looks like it's improving, so I'm stepping up my game and hoping that this might help me.

My regime is a bit ADD, cos' I just do what I have the energy for on any day, but I'd love your opinions on it.

I have a sedentary job, so the cycling is just me getting from A to B. I try to move around a lot during the day. My "kettle bell" is a home made weight... basically a bag of potatoes and a few bottles of wine in a bin that has a picture of Spiderman on it

I know I need to lift so I'm hoping to progress from weight lifting classes to proper lifting in a few weeks. I also know that running isn't popular here, but I really love it, and I don't do chronic cardio... so is it okay? I want to keep the sprints in 2-3 times a week. I usually run to failure. Other than that, what would you tweak?

Also, should I try cutting after I build some more muscle? I can do a short, severe cut, but not a chronic restriction.

It's only been three weeks, and I'm surprised at how much firmer I feel. i've taken progress pics already, and there's a difference. Just want to make sure I'm making the most of my effort I can post pics if that would help.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-21-2013 at 02:19 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat