Thread: Want to improve body comp - advice? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Want to improve body comp - advice?

Primal Fuel
    I'm 31, female, 5'8, and weigh about 140 lbs. I'm not in terrible shape, but I'm about 23% bf and I'd like to be 19-20%.

I've tried every woe, and only an extreme calorie deficit has any effect on my body. A small deficit does sweet F-A for fat loss, but has a huge impact on my energy, sleep, mood etc. I currently eat 2-3K cals a day, don't neglect any macros, and feel great, so I don't want to fuck with that.

I've been consistently inconsistent with exercise (apart from Yoga, which is a different kettle of fish) but it was largely due to a health problem which looks like it's improving, so I'm stepping up my game and hoping that this might help me.

My regime is a bit ADD, cos' I just do what I have the energy for on any day, but I'd love your opinions on it.

I have a sedentary job, so the cycling is just me getting from A to B. I try to move around a lot during the day. My "kettle bell" is a home made weight... basically a bag of potatoes and a few bottles of wine in a bin that has a picture of Spiderman on it

I know I need to lift so I'm hoping to progress from weight lifting classes to proper lifting in a few weeks. I also know that running isn't popular here, but I really love it, and I don't do chronic cardio... so is it okay? I want to keep the sprints in 2-3 times a week. I usually run to failure. Other than that, what would you tweak?

Also, should I try cutting after I build some more muscle? I can do a short, severe cut, but not a chronic restriction.

It's only been three weeks, and I'm surprised at how much firmer I feel. i've taken progress pics already, and there's a difference. Just want to make sure I'm making the most of my effort I can post pics if that would help.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-21-2013 at 02:19 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Patience is a big one. Body fat changes can happen fast, muscle recomp happens sloooooowwwwwly. Ie don't rush it or get upset if at some stages it don't seem to be working.

Another important titbit to remember is thus; you only ever gain muscle when resting. Lifting heavy just kicks off the process. Adding more lifting heavy to a body that can only build muscle at certain rate while resting is a waste of time at best, detrimental at worst.

Not stuffing round with your diet too much is probably a good choice too.

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 07-20-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

quikky is offline Senior Member
    What if your patients don't want to take their medications?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Patience is a big one. Body fat changes can happen fast, muscle recomp happens sloooooowwwwwly. Ie don't rush it or get upset if at some stages it don't seem to be working.

Another important titbit to remember is thus; you only ever gain muscle when resting. Lifting heavy just kicks off the process. Adding more lifting heavy to a body that can only build muscle at certain rate while resting is a waste of time at best, detrimental at worst.

Not stuffing round with your diet too much is probably a good choice too.
    Thanks DH! Strangely though, I seem to put on muscle quite easily. I have visible abs and biceps. Just the fat loss is slow

Good to be reminded of the importance of rest. It would be easy to become obsessive about exercise.

What do you think of cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What if your patients don't want to take their medications?
    They diet alone!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Use this technique as a template: http://harrycloudfoot.files.wordpres...ng_workout.pdf
    I apply it to calisthenics WO, just as the host of the blog. I just started week 2 and I can already feel a difference. But I am a man, and I am at my ideal weight. I am doing this to increase strength via calisthenics because I find these moves really cool to master but it does have an effect on body comp. I also eat a lot of naturally rich protein foods during this program and cycle fat and carbs pseudo-randomly (on sprint days, I eat more carbs but I always have a minimum of carbs every day in the form of fruits - season is dictating it ).

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    1. Thanks DH! Strangely though, I seem to put on muscle quite easily. I have visible abs and biceps. Just the fat loss is slow

2. What do you think of cutting?
    1. I guess you got something to focus on now. If trying to lose fat just results in spinning your wheels, may as well spend time effort on things that work for ya.

2. Personally I don't cut, I can gain muscle (slowly) while levelling or losing weight.
    Cutting I believe is a response from a lifter pushing their protocols to the max by eating big (ie they might get 10% better muscle building results). Because of this hack they gotta drop the fat periodically. Personally I take a slower approach to building muscle and don't involve my diet in the hyper trophy process. This way I don't have to stuff around changing diet habits (that are fragile from my semi ED days). Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)