Thread: Introducing myself + a few concerns.. page

JonasWP is offline Junior Member

Introducing myself + a few concerns..

Primal Fuel
    Greetings everybody!

Just wanted to say hi, and to introduce myself.

My name is Jonas, I'm 33 years old and lives in Denmark with my fiance.

I'm 198cm tall (yes I use european measurement), weight is 122,1 kilos. I really need to loose at least 30 kilos.

Now, I've been in and out on various diet's, food-therapists, blabla.. but nothing really helped. Then one day, I was browsing the internet, and stumbled across THIS site. It instantly hit me..."hey, this guy got something right!" - and after thinking it through, I decided - I want to go primal!

However! I do have to voice some of my concerns...

Comming from high-carb/low fat/low cal diets, I'm used to ..well...eat...carbs..alot. Now, my concern is - will the brain get enough glucose / etc, if I just cook in coconut-oil?

Other concerns would be: how much fat do I actually need to eat when my stats are like above (height/weight), since I need to replace carbs with fat?

My former diet were like this:

55% carb / 25% fat / 20% prot..

I guess I'm just afraid of eating too much fat, since I need to loose it also don't want my brain to get all "zombie-like"..

Also - one last thing. Upon entering the 3 weeks of adaption, should I keep a steady cal intake (2300 cals) so that I wont loose weight, or is it okay to jump into it with a cal of 1600-ish? Just wondering, since my body would be in the fat-adaption period.

Any tips'n'tricks etc is greatly appreciated!

Stay healthy!

Jonas
    Last edited by JonasWP; 07-20-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added more info

mike is offline Senior Member
    > Comming from high-carb/low fat/low cal diets, I'm used to ..well...eat...carbs..alot. Now, my concern is - will the brain get enough glucose / etc, if I just cook in coconut-oil?

No problem. your brain will get enough glucose. In fact your body can make enough glucose for your brain even if you don't consume any carbs at all. There is stuff written about this on the blog - maybe in the FAQ?

> Other concerns would be: how much fat do I actually need to eat when my stats are like above (height/weight), since I need to replace carbs with fat?

You can go to a website like myfitnesspal and set it up for the macronutrient ratios you want.

tips:
    1) look up 'carb flu' in this forum or on the blog. some people feel bad for a few days after switching from a high carb diet to a high fat diet. Its only temporary

2) Make sure to plan your meals and shopping accordingly to account for your new lifestyle. For example, you may be used to chicken breasts and a lot of pasta at the store. Now you should buy whole chickens. several of them. And eggs- lots of eggs.

3) There is a LOT of information on the blog so just start reading. I also recommend Mark Sisson's book, although much of the info is also on his blog.

Grok on.

JonasWP is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    > Comming from high-carb/low fat/low cal diets, I'm used to ..well...eat...carbs..alot. Now, my concern is - will the brain get enough glucose / etc, if I just cook in coconut-oil?

No problem. your brain will get enough glucose. In fact your body can make enough glucose for your brain even if you don't consume any carbs at all. There is stuff written about this on the blog - maybe in the FAQ?

> Other concerns would be: how much fat do I actually need to eat when my stats are like above (height/weight), since I need to replace carbs with fat?

You can go to a website like myfitnesspal and set it up for the macronutrient ratios you want.

tips:
    1) look up 'carb flu' in this forum or on the blog. some people feel bad for a few days after switching from a high carb diet to a high fat diet. Its only temporary

2) Make sure to plan your meals and shopping accordingly to account for your new lifestyle. For example, you may be used to chicken breasts and a lot of pasta at the store. Now you should buy whole chickens. several of them. And eggs- lots of eggs.

3) There is a LOT of information on the blog so just start reading. I also recommend Mark Sisson's book, although much of the info is also on his blog.

Grok on.
    Used one of those. So far the "results" are:

Todays meals:

144g protein
    81 gram carb
    82 gram fat

1708 calories

As for what I could figure out, my BMR is 2298kcal and my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is 2757 kcal.

My goal is to loose 60 pounds. Will this be sufficient, or do I need to up up the fat / calories?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Eating a lot of fats when you've been conditioned to live high carb low fat is a very hard step for many of us. Just close your eyes and do it. Animal fats and Butter (saturated), Olive, coconut and avocado fats (monounsaturated) is what you want, only. Do it now.

Try for 65% fats, 20% protein, 15% carbs. Most of us do not have to try to lower calories, most don't even note calories, just the macros. Eat as much as you want until you feel full. The fats will satiate you and you will probably reduce your calories yourself without even noticing it. Also you'll probably loose weight or at least inches without noticing it. That is, after you get over the carb-flu. Allow 2 - 4 weeks for that.

So read "The Primal Blueprint" which explains everything.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-21-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Don't try to stick to 1700 calories. Usually try to eat no less than BMR, or your body will go in starvation mode and you will stop losing weight. In the beginning just eat good primal food when you are hungry, dont count calories and see what happens. And read the primal blueprint. Don't forget to get enough sleep and playtime, they are also important aspects of primal life.
    Don't do any of the hacks we talk about on the forum for at least 3 months, better yet 6 months.
    Enjoy your new primal life.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    At the moment Im personally doing OK on about:
    60 fat, 25 protein, 15 Carb - no brain zombie for me
    Though looking at the dinner plate the is just looks like salad/veg with some type of meat.

Butter and coconut oil for cooking, some good olive oil for salads with apple cider vinegar.

Check out your neighbours in Sweden : www.dietdoctor.com