Thread: "Cleanest" wild caught salmon page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

"Cleanest" wild caught salmon

Primal Fuel
    I can get great deals on Alaskan sockeye (the kind I eat quite frequently), Alaskan pink salmon, and silverbrite, which the store claims is from Canada. Of these three types, which would you say has the lowest amounts of contaminants?

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I don't know unfortunately but sure sounds like your lucky!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    In terms of levels of contaminants, they'll all be similar - essentially the same really. In terms of nutrition, it depends on what you're going for. Sockeye is the lowest in fat, the highest in antioxidants and generally has the most vitamin D - often around 1100 IU per 6 oz. Silverbrite, iirc has the most fat and the mildest taste....pink is somewhere in the middle.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

suechef is offline Member
    Wish I could find info on lake trout. We have a fishing lodge and are about to head up north for the summer. Our lake (well not really ours) is over 200 miles long and there are no roads to it, no communities on it. So it's pretty safe, as things go in this world. Lakers are a char, closely related to salmon - the flesh varies from cream to dark orange, and it's oily like salmon. All you can eat, every day! We smoke it and I make caviar with the roe, too.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    that sounds divine. I love trout.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Grol is offline Senior Member
    It seems lik all salmon is lumped into one 'omega 3 rich' category. King Salmon are the fattiest and have significantly higher omega 3s than Chum, which is comparable to cod. Pink, Sockeye and Coho are all similar and diet dependent, but ranked in that order typically. Sockeye is prized for the best combinations of color, texture and flavor.

Chum is also called Dog salmon because when it wasn't used for chum it was fed to dogs. It's very cheap. It's good fish as long as it's caught before it 'turns' on the trek to it's birthplace, but I prefer cod to chum, sockeye and pink to silver, and Copper River Kings to any fish anywhere.

link

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    In light of a salmon thread, I thought I'd ask about norweigan/swedish waters for wild caught salmon as I live in italy. We usually only find farm raised at the markets, and Ihave asked for wild caught - but it will ikely come from this side of the atlantic, are there any stats on safety here?

deepthought is offline Junior Member
    @invino
    Im from Sweden, and I have to dissapoint you by saying that almost all swedish and norwegian salmon is farmed aswell. The only "wild" salmon I can find on a regular basis up here is called "chumlax" and it is frozen and caught in the Arctic Ocean. It is a lean but well tasting salmon. I cant however find an english translation and i cant check my freezer since I am at work....

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    I'm from Norway and I sentiment deepthoughts thought - most salmon you find in the shops here are farmed. The only time I get wild salmon here is when I catch it myself, and then only when they come up the rivers to spawn. Even then it might be escaped farmed salmon... :/ The escaped salmon doesn't usually enter the river, but stays at the mound. Escaped salmon or trout is a more and more common problem and concern to the say the least.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info - I was in IKEA on Sunday and there was lot sof smoked salmon for sale - but yes, all farmed. Dissapointing, I guess I will have to eat anchovies after all....YUK!