Thread: What's the deal with trans fats in ground beef?

What's the deal with trans fats in ground beef?

Shop Now
    There is about 4g of trans-fats per lb or ground beef, no matter what quality.
    Even the 100% grass fed, no antibiotics, no nothing, organic...

There naturally or... what's the story?

Any idea?
    Last edited by MichaelA; 05-27-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

That would be mostly CLA and another one that I can't remember the name of. Very beneficial stuff; people pay a lot of money to supplement with this stuff but it comes free in beef. Grass-fed has many times more than grain-fed.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Yes, there are some naturally occurring trans fats. Supposedly the ones from hydrogenated products are worse for you, but I don't know.

Lately it's getting harder and harder to differentiate between real things and the marketing BS that goes with nutrition...
    I wasn't freaking out for those trans-fats because I'm sure it's not toxic since it's in the organic grass fed ones. It's not like I'm eating margarine.

Since this trans-fat "crisis" started a while ago I was trying to understand WHY trans-fats ... the "bad ones" are bad? I have background in biochemistry and my intellect is over average but I really didn't found any substantial proof/studies that show solid evidence about the matter.

The worst thing I got out of it is that it destabilizing the integrity of the cell membranes for some reason, because they have a much lower melting point temperature (which makes it a favorite for the packaging and food industry). But this "fact" is just a speculation...

Anyway...

Shop Now
    CLA is one of the predominant fats in breast milk too.