Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduce exercise during times of stress? page

pabs is offline Senior Member

Reduce exercise during times of stress?

Shop Now
    My usual workouts consist of moderate bodyweight training coupled with short sprints.

I have been awefully stressed about work for the past couple of days. This has led to an uncomfortable belly bloat and an overall feeling of displeasure. this morning when I trained, I just couldn't/ didn't feel like putting in effort and I feel terrible after. My stomach bloat has gotten worse.

Exercise is usually touted as stress relief. What am I possibly doing wrong? During times of stress, would it be better to reduce my resistance training in favour for more low level cardio stuff like hiking and slow swims?

astromom is offline Member
    For me, hiking or an easy run really reduces my stress level, so I think it is worth trying to see if it helps you too. I find yoga quite beneficial for reducing stress as well.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Exercise may reduce stress, but training works by the acute stress/recovery cycle. Not a bad idea to take it easy if you feel the extra stress is too much at the moment. I like astromom's idea of hiking or other more stress-reducing programming if doing so won't get in the way of your overall fitness goals. And try not to make the stress at work chronic!

thanks for the input guys. My fitness goal is fat loss. I think hiking and such will complement it well. From here on, I will reduce resistance training to 1-2 times a week rather than on every other day, and incorporate more easy cardio.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabs View Post
    thanks for the input guys. My fitness goal is fat loss. I think hiking and such will complement it well. From here on, I will reduce resistance training to 1-2 times a week rather than on every other day, and incorporate more easy cardio.
    ...and try to find a way to make life less stressful!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    ...and try to find a way to make life less stressful!
    By far the most challenging objective, but with the greatest payoff.

huntin_mama is offline Junior Member
    Don't stress out TO much about trying to relief stress. Its okay to take a break from working out. Not to sound like a hippie but take your shoes off and walk in the sand, grass or dirt, lay down in a hammock for even 15 minutes, take a hike in the woods(no headphone or music), go outside at night and a look at the stars, concentrate on breathing... Sounds like you need some anti-stressors to counter balance your work stress. Once you feel better, resume working out slowly.

BenP is offline Member
    Ever tried measuring your HRV??? (in case you don't know what it is Its a measure of the variability of the heart rate - say your HR is 60bpm the gap between each heart beat you would think is 1second - if it is then you are very stressed, it should naturally fluctuate about as you breath so 1.03, 0.98, 1.10 etc, the more stressed your system the more uniform the heart beat. There is an app for the iphone called Sweatbeat which is pretty good for measuring this. It applies some maths to the HRV and one of the measures is a score out of 100. Most people sit between 60-80. Basically the higher the score the less stressed your system is. What you could do is measure this once a day (when you get up) and from there assess what workout you would do that day and also take steps to become less stressed (e.g. meditate).

So for example if you feel ok (e.g. not stressed) then take a baseline measurement and lets say it's 72. Then another day you measure it and it is 56 then you know something is up and then you can do a bit of meditation and a less intense workout (e.g. walking or slow run). I think it's better not to hammer yourself in a workout when your system is already stressed and this is a good tool to use.

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Exercise is, in itself, an acute stress. Do what feels best for you. If you'd rather go on a hike or take a slow swim as you feel that would work better in your already stressed state, stick with that. People often talk about listening to their bodies in terms of what they're eating...exercise is no different. If you're super stressed, take it easy and do some lower intensity exercise and get some extra sleep
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

gergirl Guest
    Like your answers SalubriousU (other thread )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast