Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ovo-Pescetarian? Please help. page

Bonnie_Liesel is offline Junior Member

Ovo-Pescetarian? Please help.

Shop Now
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some assistance.

I was raised vegetarian and have recently been vegan (raw on and off for 1 year) for 18 months.

I have found that I've been feeling worse and worse over this period of time with regard to my adrenal fatigue, my energy and my anxiety levels. This seems to be due to copper toxicity and is related to a genetic condition called Pyroluria. After 37 years of struggling this is a massive relief! I'm due to see a nutritionist sometime in the next month or so but until then I've taken steps independently to feel better.

I'm an ethical vegan so things are tough but I believe that living a Primal life will do wonders.

In April I added bee pollen to my diet which meant I could then stop spending 2 out of 7 days in bed. I've also added local free range eggs (not gm fed) and feel ' ok' about this ethically. It took three months of cravings to choose to do this.

I've also been craving oily fish and prawns so have added them this week. So far so good. I don't feel overjoyed by all of this but my priority is being well again.

I would love to have the energy to exercise as with adrenal issues I easily burn myself out for weeks at a time. The Pyroluria supplements I take are making a difference but I need to up the zinc.

My question is...what go you think? Is an ovo-pescetarian primal diet a healthy one?

Also our son is fourand has been vegetarian since birth, by choice. He self restricts quite a lot and refuses new foods. I'm quite worried as his pyroluria has meant his growth has slowed right down in the past 18 months approximately. Zinc deficiency will make children picky so it makes sense.

I need to heal his gut so want to add probiotics etc to his diet. He's gluten free but not grain free, as are we. He has so far started eating eggs in GF pancakes and has had one mouthful of paleo fish finger. How do I do this? Go cold turkey and hope he gives in or try to heal his gut and up his zinc first? Bearing in mind most vegetarian foods are high in copper and low in zinc.

Any suggestions?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Is an ovo-pescetarian primal diet a healthy one?
    Yes. This is what is recommended to folks who wish to try Primal but would like to avoid red meat. Some also suggest raw dairy addition if it can be sourced.

I am completely unqualified to answer the rest of your questions, sorry.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Thank you Leida, we tried some organic FR chicken this week but it really didn't feel ok. I think this seems to be the happy medium.

Our son eats grass fed cows' butter as his only dairy but we do that to help him grow etc - ethically we're not ok with it because they take the calves away from their mothers more or less straight away. I couldn't eat it. I have also tested intolerant to dairy. I know raw dairy is less of an antagonist but it makes me feel too sad to even try.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie_Liesel View Post
    My question is...what go you think? Is an ovo-pescetarian primal diet a healthy one?

Also our son is fourand has been vegetarian since birth, by choice. He self restricts quite a lot and refuses new foods. I'm quite worried as his pyroluria has meant his growth has slowed right down in the past 18 months approximately. Zinc deficiency will make children picky so it makes sense.

I need to heal his gut so want to add probiotics etc to his diet. He's gluten free but not grain free, as are we. He has so far started eating eggs in GF pancakes and has had one mouthful of paleo fish finger. How do I do this? Go cold turkey and hope he gives in or try to heal his gut and up his zinc first? Bearing in mind most vegetarian foods are high in copper and low in zinc.

Any suggestions?
    To answer first question... YES. Seafood, sea vegetables, and eggs are terrific! Eat some bivalves like oysters and you'll get all the zinc you need!

Oh, and you would be surprised what you can sneak into a smoothie. My boys were eating liver and didn't know it

One more thing..... 2 eggs + one mashed banana x mix it all up and fry in coconut oil = awesome egg pancakes!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    From grains, did you try buckwheat or millet for your son? Those are relatively high in minerals compared to the oats-wheat-barley staples.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

LibbyLou is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yes. This is what is recommended to folks who wish to try Primal but would like to avoid red meat. Some also suggest raw dairy addition if it can be sourced.
    This sounds like a direction I could go as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    To answer first question... YES. Seafood, sea vegetables, and eggs are terrific! Eat some bivalves like oysters and you'll get all the zinc you need!

Oh, and you would be surprised what you can sneak into a smoothie. My boys were eating liver and didn't know it

One more thing..... 2 eggs + one mashed banana x mix it all up and fry in coconut oil = awesome egg pancakes!
    I have also just added eggs back into my diet 2 days ago (vegan for the past 2 1/2 years, health issues that sound eerily similar to yours, Bonnie_Liesel!) and am trying to talk myself into trying some grass-fed beef to see what happens, but am not ready yet. I think seafood may be the next thing I try. I haven't heard of pyroluria, need to look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post

Woah, not sure I could ever eat an oyster...ever. That really makes me feel urgh. It's the slimy snot thing. My husband loves them though! As a Pyroluric I do have to take higher than your regular RDA of zinc as it's pee'd out and tea I do need lots of zinc in my diet but I'm not sure how I could manage that. I tried a mussel once but the texture was vile. Ethically bivalves are as good as it gets when it comes to animals so I have considered it! Maybe I'll be brave.

Our son is currently going through a phase of not being interested in green smoothies or juices but I could make green smoothie ice lollies. Not sure what I could sneak in though. Fishy lollies...eww.

The pancakes though are definitely something I'll do

LibbyLou is offline Member
    I have never had an oyster in my life, believe it or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    From grains, did you try buckwheat or millet for your son? Those are relatively high in minerals compared to the oats-wheat-barley staples.
    He's had a raw vegan/paleo cheesecake made with a buckwheatie/date base that he loved but he won't try millet. He really refuses to try most things. I'm surprised he managed a mouthful of fish really because white fish has a strong taste.

Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    This sounds like a direction I could go as well!

I have also just added eggs back into my diet 2 days ago (vegan for the past 2 1/2 years, health issues that sound eerily similar to yours, Bonnie_Liesel!) and am trying to talk myself into trying some grass-fed beef to see what happens, but am not ready yet. I think seafood may be the next thing I try. I haven't heard of pyroluria, need to look that up.
    Definitely look Pyroluria up LibbyLou - basically it's a genetic disorder whereby Kryptopyrroles (the bi-product of haemoglobin synthesis) are produced in excess causing zinc and B6 to be urinated away. It leaves chronic deficiencies, anxiety, depression, social anxiety, crowded teeth, skin that burns...all sorts. It's likely in people with autism, alcoholism, depression etc. There are loads of quizzes online to see whether you are likely to have it. Finding out about this has ended my lifelong depression. I'd been very very unhappy for over 30 years and it turns out to be a vitamin deficiency. It's fascinating.

Trying beef would totally freak me out. I see the health benefits of it but I feel really traumatised by the idea. I've actually wanted some recently but am terrified. We'll see what happens but cows are my all time favourite farm animal so I'm torn. It's funny, people with Pyroluria frequently turn vegetarian because lack of zinc means meat is hard to digest. Then lack of zinc rich foods means more deficiency hence you suffer more.
    Last edited by Bonnie_Liesel; 07-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast