Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ovo-Pescetarian? Please help. page 2

Bonnie_Liesel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LibbyLou View Post
    I have never had an oyster in my life, believe it or not!
    But would you?! I think you only need around six for your daily zinc quota...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, oysters are top notch for zinc. You could try them steamed to reduce the slime factor. I've even cooked my mussels up in scrambled eggs and topped with cheese, but that may be a bit much for you out of the gate. You could definitely incorporate them into a salad though.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I really just want to put this out there for you, as a former ovo-lacto veg, myself -

I never thought that Primal/paleo eating could be "ethical" in any way, until I read arguments here that debated this very topic, and what I heard was, that if you are going to end the life of an animal to feed yourself, ethics enters when you choose happy animals raised in small numbers on small local farms, eating what they were meant to eat for their entire lifetimes, and then consuming everything that is edible to eat on it. Saying grace helps, too.

IMHO, there is no better way to honor the animal you use for food than by supporting humane husbandry, wasting nothing, and expressing gratitude, even though I know you aren't going to buy a cow just yet. I only went meat-eating when, during my third pregnancy, nothing would go down and stay down except meat, and then I had a choice to make...

But in short, ovo-pesca is a good choice.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Oh - there is this sour cream-smoked oyster dip I make every Thanksgiving that is super! No slimies because the already-cooked oysters are mashed. It is really very good, and zero bad mouthfeel. At least my family, in-laws and all, gobble it up.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Oysters cooked on the half shell with a bit of butter and garlic (or chilli or whatever you wanna try)under the grill or on the bbq are absolutely NOM NOM and no slime factor
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, oysters are top notch for zinc. You could try them steamed to reduce the slime factor. I've even cooked my mussels up in scrambled eggs and topped with cheese, but that may be a bit much for you out of the gate. You could definitely incorporate them into a salad though.
    We're dairy free but in the past I tried scallops in their shell with garlic butter and cheese but they were really fishy and sickly and bleurgh. Nice idea though

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I really just want to put this out there for you, as a former ovo-lacto veg, myself -

I never thought that Primal/paleo eating could be "ethical" in any way, until I read arguments here that debated this very topic, and what I heard was, that if you are going to end the life of an animal to feed yourself, ethics enters when you choose happy animals raised in small numbers on small local farms, eating what they were meant to eat for their entire lifetimes, and then consuming everything that is edible to eat on it. Saying grace helps, too.

IMHO, there is no better way to honor the animal you use for food than by supporting humane husbandry, wasting nothing, and expressing gratitude, even though I know you aren't going to buy a cow just yet. I only went meat-eating when, during my third pregnancy, nothing would go down and stay down except meat, and then I had a choice to make...

But in short, ovo-pesca is a good choice.
    I do see what you're saying, I've done so much research on this over recent months and have heard all the ethical meat eating mindsets/arguments. Lierre Keith's Vegetarian Myth for example. I know that eating grains kills more animals than eating meat and I know that it's different eating factory farmed animals than grass fed - but there's still the killing. They still end up in the same place, scared and full of adrenaline. I'm not sure I'll ever get past that. In the case of fish at least ones we eat are wild and then it all ends. Line caught is our best choice. Bivalves don't have the brain or nerve endings of other animals. If I craved meat in pregnancy I'd do the same as you - is your baby type O blood type? Funnily that's my blood type, the hunter gatherer!

Oh - there is this sour cream-smoked oyster dip I make every Thanksgiving that is super! No slimies because the already-cooked oysters are mashed. It is really very good, and zero bad mouthfeel. At least my family, in-laws and all, gobble it up.
    Oh that doesn't appeal to me, perhaps if I saw it? Although we are dairy free too.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Oysters cooked on the half shell with a bit of butter and garlic (or chilli or whatever you wanna try)under the grill or on the bbq are absolutely NOM NOM and no slime factor
    What do they taste like? I like king prawns in olive oil, garlic and lots of chilli flakes...are they meaty? Fishy? Like prawns?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    IMHO, there is no better way to honor the animal you use for food than by supporting humane husbandry, wasting nothing, and expressing gratitude, even though I know you aren't going to buy a cow just yet.
    +1

The taste of oyster is tough to describe other than it tastes like the sea. It's fairly mild though and can be incorporated into chowders well or eaten raw off the shell or... the possibilities are fairly endless.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast