Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting...Anxiety page

zwschlei is offline Member

Fasting...Anxiety

Primal Fuel
    Sometimes when I fast for extended periods (14hrs+) I become agitated. It's very frustrating, since I want to fast and enjoy it. Any ideas?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    How long you been primal and are you metabolically healthy?

Been primal for a year and yes very healthy. I've been this way since I was little.

Thats good. Any change to the program can be perceived as a stress by your body. Compounding a new dietary regimen, even a healthier one, with fasting can be just one too many changes.

Anyhow, back to your question... You may consider a (don't hate on this word too much) *snack* to extend your fast. Something that is essentially low calorie yet takes up some stomach space. Raw veggies like carrots or celery would do the trick here. This may help you to get through that anxious gotta eat sort of feeling.

Yea I've tried that. Sometimes it works great, other times my body CRAVES fat, and veggies just don't get it. If I try to resist I become extremely unproductive and unfocused.

Well you can extend your fast with fats (I do cream in my coffee every morning). Its not exactly the same,but as long as its not more than a couple hundred calories its very comparable.

Bonnie_Liesel is offline Junior Member
    I'm not a Primal expert but I do know that when I've done mono eating or a similar fast the anxiety I get is from copper toxicity - it releases the copper in the cells and causes palpitations, anxiety, racing thoughts etc. it's actually what led me here. I don't know if that's relevant to you but many people are copperheads. Zeolites are helping me.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you don't need to, maybe you shouldn't. I usually recommend it to those wanting to lose more fat or jump start stalling weight loss but if you're otherwise healthy, why force yourself?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I just got off of a long fast, and I used cups of plain, slightly salted bone broth. Unless you are water-only fasting, this works very well.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I got the same thing. I had been primal for at least 2 years before I tried fasting. I did it for 2 years or so and most of the time I was fine, but sometimes I would get very agitated and anxious. I've started eating more regular meals again and overall I feel much better. When I started fasting I also started drinking coffee regularly and was working a job that I hated. I think if it hadn't been for the job, I would have been fine with fasting. Fasting is a form of stress and if you have too much total stress, it will just make things worse. If however everything else is in order, fasting is usually beneficial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast