Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: 5/3/1 Big But Boring - what the government doesn't want you to know page 3

  1. #21
    Ghshl's Avatar
    Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    462
    Shop Now
    I place my feet so the bar is over the middle of my foot when standing up, and when I get down in position, my shins touch the bar.

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #22
    Alaskarunner2002's Avatar
    Alaskarunner2002 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Posts
    21
    My husband and I are starting the 5/3/1 training and was wondering if I should be doing anything different than him during this training? I'm already fit but looking to bump things up a little.

  3. #23
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    This is what I want to know:

    Decades ago, they already had descent cookie cutter routines that were tried and true, routines such as 20 rep squats and 5x5. People continued to use them, often recommending them to newbies, and good results were always reported.

    And many people had their own different versions of these routines. Some even had their own different routines. It just goes through cycles.

    And now days some fat slob who got his results from training WSB style AND taking steroids AND wearing powerlifting gear, makes up a new cookie cutter routine (for raw lifters even though he lifted in gear), and now that's the new thing that everyone is doing? As if 5x5 and supersquats never worked or existed? And now that I'm older, been there and done that, competed in powerlifting and eventually got out of it, kids are going to come up to me in the gym and recommend for me to do 5/3/1?

    Please? The phrase "commercial hype" comes to mind. And that's exactly what it is. I'm sure it works, just like all the other routines. But it also seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Chose a simple routine, lift hard and heavy, add weight to the bar, and you'll get big and strong. Simple as that.

    Oops? Apologies to the author. I know we all have to make money. I get it. But he didn't invent anything new. Progressive resistance always worked.

    Sorry, had to get that out. I hate 5/3/1.
    Peace folks.

  4. #24
    Dignan's Avatar
    Dignan is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    24
    Great, hope you feel better having gotten that out of your system. Though in the book Wendler comes out and admits that back in his powerlifting days, he was a fat slob who could only waddle up to the bar and do squats, and pretty much nothing else. And I agree with the OP that there are a bunch of contradictions in the book - probably due to is being a mash-up of blog posts. But it is an interesting program that allows a lot of people to make steady progress with intense workouts that don't take a lot of time.

    So, who else is doing 5/3/1? How is it working for you?

    I am at the end of my fourth 4-week cycle, and have been doing Boring but Big assists for three cycles now. During my deload week last time around I did the Cosgrove's Evil 8 complexes a few times, but this time around I am feeling pretty wiped, and am going to do nothing besides some walking during my deload week.

  5. #25
    Ryancarter1986's Avatar
    Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London uk
    Posts
    530
    Want to start . But the starting weeks seem to be so light so not sure to give it a go or not.


    From London England UK

  6. #26
    Ghshl's Avatar
    Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    462
    I did it from December and until sometime in June with great success. I imagine I'll go back to it again at some point.

  7. #27
    colobb's Avatar
    colobb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    This is what I want to know:

    Decades ago, they already had descent cookie cutter routines that were tried and true, routines such as 20 rep squats and 5x5. People continued to use them, often recommending them to newbies, and good results were always reported.

    And many people had their own different versions of these routines. Some even had their own different routines. It just goes through cycles.

    And now days some fat slob who got his results from training WSB style AND taking steroids AND wearing powerlifting gear, makes up a new cookie cutter routine (for raw lifters even though he lifted in gear), and now that's the new thing that everyone is doing? As if 5x5 and supersquats never worked or existed? And now that I'm older, been there and done that, competed in powerlifting and eventually got out of it, kids are going to come up to me in the gym and recommend for me to do 5/3/1?

    Please? The phrase "commercial hype" comes to mind. And that's exactly what it is. I'm sure it works, just like all the other routines. But it also seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Chose a simple routine, lift hard and heavy, add weight to the bar, and you'll get big and strong. Simple as that.

    Oops? Apologies to the author. I know we all have to make money. I get it. But he didn't invent anything new. Progressive resistance always worked.

    Sorry, had to get that out. I hate 5/3/1.
    Peace folks.
    apparently you do not understand basic principles of training programming. How long do you think a trainee would last on a progressive linear program? A few months maybe. 531 is simple, basic, almost minimalist in nature. You hit your prescribed numbers on the main lifts making MONTHLY progress, and then your assistance work is up to you and your specific goals. It is by far one of the best programs out there from powerlifters to your weekend warrior fitness buff type.

    Who cares where the source came from (even though Jim Wendler IMO is great), the information he has laid out is gold.
    BS Exc Science
    ACSM CPT
    CFL1

  8. #28
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by colobb View Post
    apparently you do not understand basic principles of training programming. How long do you think a trainee would last on a progressive linear program? A few months maybe. 531 is simple, basic, almost minimalist in nature. You hit your prescribed numbers on the main lifts making MONTHLY progress, and then your assistance work is up to you and your specific goals. It is by far one of the best programs out there from powerlifters to your weekend warrior fitness buff type.

    Who cares where the source came from (even though Jim Wendler IMO is great), the information he has laid out is gold.
    So nobody ever got strong before the invention of 5/3/1?

  9. #29
    zizou's Avatar
    zizou is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    This is what I want to know:

    Decades ago, they already had descent cookie cutter routines that were tried and true, routines such as 20 rep squats and 5x5. People continued to use them, often recommending them to newbies, and good results were always reported.

    And many people had their own different versions of these routines. Some even had their own different routines. It just goes through cycles.

    And now days some fat slob who got his results from training WSB style AND taking steroids AND wearing powerlifting gear, makes up a new cookie cutter routine (for raw lifters even though he lifted in gear), and now that's the new thing that everyone is doing? As if 5x5 and supersquats never worked or existed? And now that I'm older, been there and done that, competed in powerlifting and eventually got out of it, kids are going to come up to me in the gym and recommend for me to do 5/3/1?

    Please? The phrase "commercial hype" comes to mind. And that's exactly what it is. I'm sure it works, just like all the other routines. But it also seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Chose a simple routine, lift hard and heavy, add weight to the bar, and you'll get big and strong. Simple as that.

    Oops? Apologies to the author. I know we all have to make money. I get it. But he didn't invent anything new. Progressive resistance always worked.

    Sorry, had to get that out. I hate 5/3/1.
    Peace folks.
    I prefer 12/8/6 myself

  10. #30
    colobb's Avatar
    colobb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    So nobody ever got strong before the invention of 5/3/1?
    You need to re-read what I said. LINEAR (weekly or daily) progression is impossible after a certain point with any trainee. After this point is met a person has to implement other principles; block periodization, wave training, RPE, ect. 531 is one of many great programs out there that can yeild good results over a long period of time.

    Is 531 the best program out there? Depends on who you ask and what their goals and preferences are. IMO it's a very versitile training program that almost anyone implement properly.

    To say you hate a well thought out training plan is just plain stupid when most people who work out have no plan, no idea of where there strength is, and no real goals. God forbid someone go into the gym and hit prescribed numbers in a progressive fasion...
    BS Exc Science
    ACSM CPT
    CFL1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •