Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayonnaise help page

adamm is offline Senior Member

Mayonnaise help

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I'm trying to find tasteless oils for making mayonnaise which won't bork up the n6 ratios. I can't afford to make mayonnaise with refine coconut oil (both too thick and way too expensive). I don't mind a splash of olive oil in my mayonnaise, but I don't like it too overpowering.

Any ideas?

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Light-tasting olive oil. Or extra-light-tasting olive oil. (That's how the oil is called/described on the labels.)
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, i do light tasting oo as well. I tried avocado oil and it was gross!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Yeah, but light tasting olive oil isn't olive oil. It is vegetable oils with food colour and a bit of olive oil (maybe). So it is basically full of the nasties we're trying to avoid.

--Me

Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Yeah, but light tasting olive oil isn't olive oil. It is vegetable oils with food colour and a bit of olive oil (maybe). So it is basically full of the nasties we're trying to avoid.

--Me
    Where did you hear that? Light-tasting olive oil is just blended refined olive oil and virgin olive oil.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Macadamia nut oil has a mildly nutty taste. I prefer EVOO, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Macadamia nut oil has a mildly nutty taste. I prefer EVOO, myself.
    The mayo recipe I use says specifically not to use EVOO for it; I haven't tried it with EVOO to see if it tastes different, but I assume that's what happens when you make a batch with it. (I could be wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Where did you hear that? Light-tasting olive oil is just blended refined olive oil and virgin olive oil.
    It was this post by Mark that made me get suspicious, and then I read elsewhere that most light tasting olive oil is really blended (ie with lots of other badness). Trying to find the second reference about light olive oil specifically, but duckduckgo isn't being cooperative.

Regardless, most of the inexpensive olive oil from overseas seems to be fake, right? When I buy olive oil, I generally buy the good stuff from American producers (if you consider Californians to be Americans). But I have yet to find light olive oil (or refined, for that matter) from trustworthy producers. I have to assume that light olive oil is going to be even less olive oil than the so-called extra virgin fakery.

--Me

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Regardless, most of the inexpensive olive oil from overseas seems to be fake, right?
    I suspect that rather depends on what you shop for :-/

I buy mediterranean EVOO at my supermarket given (1) It's a brand I know; (2) It's on major sale (typically, about 40-50%). It's generally sold as Italian, but a careful reading of label will tell you that the oil itself is a blend of Italian/Greek/Spanish/Tunisian/etc. I consider that to be fine and go by taste, smell, and look. I am pretty sure what I use is not fake.

On the other hand, for the *real thing* (which is not inexpensive) try fresh green olive oil (often called Olio Nuovo) from Italy. By "fresh" I mean that it has a date of harvest printed on the bottle and you're using it within 3-4 months of the harvest date.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    The mayo recipe I use says specifically not to use EVOO for it; I haven't tried it with EVOO to see if it tastes different, but I assume that's what happens when you make a batch with it. (I could be wrong.)
    It has a strong taste and you have to add the oil a bit slower to make sure you don't break it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast