Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mayonnaise help page 2

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It has a strong taste and you have to add the oil a bit slower to make sure you don't break it.
    Gotcha - thanks.
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    It was this post by Mark that made me get suspicious, and then I read elsewhere that most light tasting olive oil is really blended (ie with lots of other badness). Trying to find the second reference about light olive oil specifically, but duckduckgo isn't being cooperative.

Regardless, most of the inexpensive olive oil from overseas seems to be fake, right? When I buy olive oil, I generally buy the good stuff from American producers (if you consider Californians to be Americans). But I have yet to find light olive oil (or refined, for that matter) from trustworthy producers. I have to assume that light olive oil is going to be even less olive oil than the so-called extra virgin fakery.

--Me
    Maybe you're right. In which case, please let me know if you find a for-real light-tasting olive oil that isn't fake; I'll be on the lookout for quality real olive oil. Or maybe I'll give up the ghost and will stop making mayo altogether. (Nah.)
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

SuBee is offline Member
    I have been using extra-light olive oil but am having trouble with it either turning rancid quickly or maybe being a little off to start. I use one-third EVOO more or less and it tastes fine. I have used all-EVOO before and hated the flavor. Most recently I got high-oleic sunflower oil (Mark gives it a thumbs-up) and that worked well.

Mark has a recipe for something like "ghee mayo," where the mayo is made with all EVOO and then you whisk in melted ghee until it doesn't taste so bitter. Might work for you.

cantat is offline Senior Member
    What about lard? I would suggest bacon grease, but it's my understanding this creates a strong bacon flavor in the mayonnaise. Which sounds good to me!

Faumdano is offline Member
    High-oleic sunflower oil blended 3:1 with scentless coconut oil is my go to blend.

elfman5150 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I like to do mine with avocado oil or macadamia nut oil. I think next I'm gonna try using my MCT oil actually, and see how I like it. Oh, and I usually top mine with a few drops of truffle oil, and it's fantastic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12