Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Sanas page 2

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    YES!!!! You had a scotch egg! Awesome! I made them a few weeks ago and posted up some pics.

Yeah, being out and about can be difficult at times but you will find ways to make it work I am sure!

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    I made scotch eggs because you showed us how, TGF! They were good, just the thing when you need a substantial snack! So thanks for that. I wasn't even tempted by the nibblies (suspect-looking sausage and salami, cheese, chocolate cupcakes with pink icing the color of 1950s bathroom fixtures with a blueberry on top). Had a good cup of tea, though, and bought my friend's new book.

I'm glad I stuffed myself before I went out. It helps.

Was trying to explain to my friend how this whole PB thing has changed me, but found it hard to do. I know the food I eat isn't making me sick and deranged anymore, because my body feels stronger and more alive somehow. I just feel more . . . primal! I want to go out and heave rocks and run barefoot through glacial rivers! It feels sort of testosterone-ish, but I'm a girl!

Curious to know what this means for the future. One thing, I'm going to convince a bunch of 50-ish women to come with me up a very steep, long hill through the brush this weekend! If they ask me where I got the energy, I know just what I'll tell them . . .
    Last edited by Sanas; 09-23-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: forgot something

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow! You used mine! I am big time flattered! I am thrilled you like them.

It is awesome you have had such great success and I know it can be hard at times to explain to people all the benefits of how PB works and such.... usually the ONLY way they will truly understand it is to try it or at least come over for dinner and check out your copy of the book and ask questions. It is a whole new wonderful world being primal! Thanks again!

Something happened . . . for the last couple of days, I have felt BAD.

I am puffy, lethargic, and semi-depressed. Can't be PMS; I'm done with that. This puffiness if so bad that when we went for a walk yesterday, when we got home and I took my sandals off, my flesh was all striped and indented where it had squished through the straps. That has never happened before. Also, I weighed myself for the first time in a while, and I'm 5 POUNDS heavier than I was the last time I weighed myself. And as I have only lost a total of 10 pounds since going primal 6 months ago, this hurts.

I haven't been cheating either. The only thing I might possibly be doing is eating high-ish carbs. I haven't been tracking with fitday, because I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to just "eat naturally," but with all I've learned in the last 6 months.

So, is this just because I ate 2 apples as I picked them (Thursday), licked the spoon a couple of times as I stirred the applesauce (Saturday), or drank about 8 oz of apple juice from the boiling of the apples step (Friday)? I suspect I am relatively intolerant of fructose; fruit was one thing I could eat massive quantities of.

The other new factor is some emulsified fish oil I bought on Thursday. It's flavored with lemon and xylitol. I've had a teaspoon per day since Thursday. Who knows what my body thinks of xylitol. I recognized semi-addictive behavior after I bought some Spry gum sweetened with xylitol (ie, I could have chewed the whole pack in an hour), so even though the fish oil is only 4 g carbs/2 teaspoons, maybe the perceived sweetness is enough to make me think I've ingested a lot of carbs? Which would mean carb sensitivity is a psychological phenomenon, not strictly chemical, hmmmmm.

I've got a large, expensive bottle of the stuff; it's not going in the garbage!

I feel somewhat better today, so maybe it was just the apples and the juice. It is mind-boggling to think that such a small amount of what would generally be considered a healthy food could wreak such havoc. How did I even survive the days when I ate whatever, whenever? It's also somewhat unhappy-making to think that I'm going to have to be this careful about what I eat from now on. It's like living with a life-threatening allergy, only the lite version.

What did I eat today? Oh, yes, I'm not keeping track! And I love it that I have no desire to eat grainy, sugary badness even so. I did have a tiny bit of grapefruit in the salad and some Concord grapes, and I'm still not jonesing for sugar. That's cool.

I have a container of full-fat yogurt, though, and I do feel its siren call. Is it the lactose, I wonder? Why doesn't somebody make a lactose-free full fat yogurt? I can get sour cream like that.

Spent lots of time out in the sun the last couple of days. It's beautiful, the leaves all golden and the river turquoise and the grass still green. I got a bit red on my shoulders, but no pain and it was gone the next day. There's no way I could have done that before PB. I would have been fried and suffering. I wonder if sun exposure will still turn me into a withered, leathery creature eventually, though.

dH is not totally on board with this all -- keeps telling me that saturated fat is bad, bad, and that bacon is an occasional treat at best. But I caught him bragging on the phone to his mom about how much care we're putting into our diets now. Hahahaha! I will convince him in the end. He hit a new weight low yesterday, after we'd walked for about two hours. Go, him!

Still continuing with the no-weighing policy. I did weigh once, and I know I'm up from my low point. However, I don't think I care. I would like to lose a little bit more blubber, but I'm well within the healthy range of weight and BMI for my height. It's more to the point, for me, to feel good and energetic and happy. All of which I am today. It is Canadian Thanksgiving and I did eat a little bit of wheat in the stuffing and the gravy, but NO sugar and no dairy and no overeating either, so I should not feel bad tomorrow.

I went for a walk a few days ago and planned a good primal exercise routine to do along that path, involving climbing trees and dragging logs, and all, so I am excited to maybe do that this coming week a couple of times. Hope the good weather holds.

Just have to say that I'm really liking washing my hair only with baking soda and vinegar instead of shampoo. It just feels so much healthier. You can learn such interesting things on the forum, so I'm grateful for that.

Help, help, oh, help!

The last week or so I have been craving and craving fruit. Nothing seems to make it go away. Usually if I have overindulged in carbs, the cravings will die down if I go VLC for a few days. I have a few theories:

(1) I bought some Vit K2 that had 1000 IU D in each tab, so I cut down by 1000 IU the vit D drops that I normally take (to maintain total of 7000 IU). Maybe the tab D isn't as effective and I'm suffering because my body wants that extra 1000 IU back?

(2) even though I haven't *noticeably* been off the wagon, maybe eating parsnip hashbrowns for three days in a row is not a good idea? Is there really that much difference between 90% and 85% dark chocolate? Is two pieces of fruit in a week capable of doing this to me?

(3) I stepped up the PB fitness a notch, but I'm still at the beginner levels -- what can that have to do with it?

This is making me crazy. If I give in and eat fruit it will only get worse. What am I doing wrong?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Eat more fat--'tis the season for carb cravings from what I keep reading...

Well, I'll certainly give that a try, Dragonfly! Even if it means eating butter with a spoon out of the butter dish. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast