Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How am I still not fat adapted?! page

Katie14 is offline Junior Member

How am I still not fat adapted?!

I have been on the standard keto diet for 4 weeks now (20 carbs or less per day) but have been eating less than 50 carbs per day for a total of 2 months. I am still dealing with "keto flu" symptoms. I am very tired, my muscles feel sort of achy and weak, I feel this strange pressure in the front of my head, I am having trouble concentrating, and I just feel kind of stupid. I also have this weird hunger sensation almost all the time. My stomach isn’t growling or anything, I am not actually hungry, I just feel this need to eat and am never truly satiated. I can’t really explain it but its not a very pleasant feeling. Its strange because there where some points throughout this transition when I have felt significantly better but most of the time I just feel like ****.

I take a multivitamin every day which contains magnesium and iodine. I eat a lot of spinach and poultry so my potassium levels should be ok. I add some salt when I cook my food. I am also trying to drink a lot of water and I make sure to consume saturated fat a few times per day. I do 3 full body lifting workouts and about 3 hours of low-moderate intensity cardio per week. The program I am following has 1 heavy day, 1 medium and 1 light day per week. I am 5’1 and 104 pounds and am eating 1450 calories per day. My macros are: 58.5/36/5.5 (Fat, protein, carbs).

My fear is that I may have accidently gone over on carbs (around 40-50 grams per day instead of <20) 2 weekends ago because I was eating in restaurants. I read that if you have too many carbs one time you have to start the induction phase all over again.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I am doing wrong or personal experiences about how you felt while adapting?

Thank for reading!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There is no requirement to be in ketosis. It doesn't sound to me like you need to lose weight anyway. I think you should ease up on your diet restrictions and eat carbs, regularly.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    There is no such thing as "fat adapted." That's marketing speak - it doesn't exist. You burn fat and and glucose at all times regardless of diet. You're sluggish because ketosis is notorious for removing hunger since it's sort of a metabolic state you'd only be in naturally under starvation. You're probably undereating, and at the same time your body is chronically using cortisol to break down your muscles to get your brain glucose. Just eat some fruit. You'll surely feel much better with a source of glucose in your diet.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    There most certainly is a such thing as becoming fat AND keto adapted. Upregulating the machinery needed to burn and utilize these fuels efficiently in addition to coming off sugar is the adaptation process. Balancing electrolytes is key. Many people are dependent on sugar and carbs (i.e. 70% of people have metabolic syndrome) in general and have atrophied their fat burning capacity with years of overconsumption. Becoming fully adapted to a ketogenic diet may take months for some.

You might try listing a days worth of foodS. Have you been losing weight the past couple months? May very well be time to increase your CALORIES. Sounds like that could be the issue to me. Read these two articles to address the most common issues:

Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-19-2013 at 06:30 AM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    People have come on this board claiming serious injury because they tried to stick with something they thought was "primal" rather than listen to their body. The previous posters have explained the solutions to your issue.

But the bigger lesson is, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. I don't want to use really heavy words for what you have done, but it is really, really, really unwise to refuse to do that. Very unwise.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I am curious why you're in ketosis anyway. I can only make assumptions from the stats you listed, but you're nowhere near overweight based on your height and weight.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

JoreyTK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie14 View Post
    I am still dealing with "keto flu" symptoms. I am very tired, my muscles feel sort of achy and weak, I feel this strange pressure in the front of my head, I am having trouble concentrating, and I just feel kind of stupid. I also have this weird hunger sensation almost all the time. My stomach isn’t growling or anything, I am not actually hungry, I just feel this need to eat and am never truly satiated.
    Ketogenic diets are highly diuretic so chances are you're low on electrolytes. Try drinking some full sodium broth, eat some salted avocados or increase your salt intake in some other form.

Here is a good link about salt intake on ketogenic diets. Get your salt! : General Low-Carb Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

Good luck!
    JoreyTK
    Low Carb since August 2010

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Loafingcactus is correct you need to experiment and see what works best for you. It is ridiculous for you to eat a diet that results in you feeling miserable all the time. Change your focus and eat to perform, find out what level of macro ratios enables you to operate at peak performance.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    My fear is that I may have accidently gone over on carbs (around 40-50 grams per day instead of <20) 2 weekends ago because I was eating in restaurants. I read that if you have too many carbs one time you have to start the induction phase all over again.!
    Carbs! Run awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Stina1115 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    58.5/36/5.5 (Fat, protein, carbs).

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I am doing wrong or personal experiences about how you felt while adapting?

Thank for reading!
    To me, it looks like your fat is too low, and protein is too high. I aim for 80-85% fat, 15% protein, and <5% carbs. I'd say it took me a week or two to adapt, and then I felt good - not hungry all the time, mental clarity, improved mood, etc. It looks to me that if you're eating that much protein, you're probably knocking yourself out of ketosis due to the gluconeogenesis associated with eating that amount of protein.

If you make those adjustments and still feel like crap after a couple weeks, maybe nutritional ketosis isn't for you. I also agree about the electrolytes, I've got a magnesium oil coming in the mail, and take a tsp himalayan pink salt (mixed with water) in the mornings. Many find that bouillon or bone broth helps with the electrolyte balance as well.

There's a lot of good tips & info, including details on how to calculate your macros, on the "Eat MOAR Fat" forum thread started by Pebbles, so maybe check that out as well. Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast